4.0 out of 5 stars '100 of my favourite Indian recipes'...
...the subtitle adequately sums up GR's chunky new book, published to coincide with the TV programme of the same name:

Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape.

But, in reality, it is far more.
With raised lettering to the D/J's main title, a relaxed and still rugged GR adorns the front cover, sharing his enthusiasm for India - its food and its life...
Published on 6 May 2010 by A Customer of AMAZON-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Dire beyond belief
Now I was going to give this a one star rating but let's face it the food in this book when cooked is edible, I do however question as to who proof read it or maybe I should go a step further and question if the recipes are actually from Gordon's travels?

Published on 30 Jan 2012 by M. Price

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars '100 of my favourite Indian recipes'..., 6 May 2010
This review is from: Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape: 100 of My Favourite Indian Recipes (Hardcover)

Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape.

But, in reality, it is far more.

'...My own love affair with Indian food started when my mother made me my first curry as a child.
Granted, Mum's inauthentic curries were nothing like what we're used to today - hers were mostly flavoured with curry powder with the occasional handful of sultanas thrown in - but to us the flavours seemed exotic and mesmerising and I was hooked. Since I left home and started working, Friday night curries have become a ritual. Like most people, I have had favourite dishes, which I would order time and time again, but overall I felt pretty comfortable with the food and thought that I knew quite a bit about Indian cuisine.
How wrong I was!..........

...When the opportunity came for a culinary adventure in India, the choice was simple. This was the chance of a lifetime to escape from the grind of daily life and discover the truth about Indian cuisine....'

From the d/j inner flap:

'.......to experience for himself the stunning diversity of this extraordinary country's culinary traditions......Gordon immersed himself in all that India has to offer, tasting his way from region to region.....
Throughout this epic trip, GR cooked with some of India's most accomplished chefs, acquiring and refining new cooking techniques with a staggering variety of ingredients.........'

The use of the adjective 'staggering' is certainly not understated!
The glossary contains the various ingredients with descriptions, essentially a useful guide to what needs to be in the store-cupboard if new to Indian cooking. So if you are not sure about 'Asafoetida', or 'Jaggery', fear not....GR explains, as he does throughout the book - giving his usual basic definition of anything mildly 'different', e.g.:

From 'Galouti Kebabs'

'Galouti means 'melt in the mouth', and these delicious lamb patties come from Uttar Pradesh, a region renowned for its kebabs.......'

along with the odd pre-warning about (perhaps) a harder-to-source ingredient, depending on what one has access to, e.g.:

From 'Aloo dhai puri:

'You will need to make a trip to your nearest Indian grocer to secure a box of ready-made mini 'pani puri' shells and a bag of 'sev mamra' (crispy snacks consisting of a mixture of puffed rice, fried yellow gram noodles and spiced peanuts). Thereafter, it will only take minutes to assemble these delicious bite-sized treats.'

And to justify the recipe selection we are reminded that this publication is based on personal experience and does not aim to be an Indian Cooking 'bible':

'I may not have covered every classic dish of every region during my relatively short culinary tour (indeed this book contains some recipes that were simply inspired by my travels and some of these classic dishes)..........'

Overall, this is a well-produced chunky tome.
The durable board covers carry the same picture as the d/j and open to 273 high quality pages, split over chapters:

1. Starters & snacks (pg 31 - 61) 14 recipes
2. Fish (pg 64 - 97) 14 recipes
3. Poultry & meat (pg 100 - 129) 14 recipes
4. Vegetarian (pg 132 - 159) 13 recipes
5. Breads & rice (pg162- 195) 15 recipes
6. Chutneys & accompaniments (pg 198- 227) 14 recipes
7. Sweets & drinks (pg 230 -267) 16 recipes

along with a 15-page introduction - basically a potted summary of the tour - the aforementioned glossary, a concise index, winding up with GR's acknowledgements and finishing with a dedication to the late Alex Robinson.

Each chapter opens with a double-page spread, with an on-location shot on the left hand page and the list of the following recipes on the other.

Each easy-to-follow recipe follows the same layout and colour distribution - with the title, an opening paragraph and the method, in the main part. The number of servings and the list(s) of ingredients appear in the 'grey area', making it easy to find, refer to and compile a shopping list. A pink 'flash' reminds you what of the chapter. A few recipes spill onto another page.

Generally, there is a good balance of photography throughout, full credit to Emma Lee and Jonathan Gregson - arguably a little light on the number of finished dishes - and, GR does feature - as is the norm!

A small taste of the other recipes contained within:

* Malia chicken kebabs
* Spicy vegetable and paneer wraps
* Bengali prawn curry
* Baked whole sea bass with green masala paste
* Chilli beef fry
* Ginger fruit punch
* Masala chai
* Paysam
* Rosewater kulfi

My favourite to date, tried and tasted:

'Cauliflower Tandoori, with Fried Onion Rings', which I made for some vegetarian friends, although I did make use of a rather large cauliflower rather than investing in the four baby ones the recipe uses. As the method requires cutting into large florets, and blanching, I don't think we lost too much and due to the beautiful warm weather we were able to grill the marinated cauli on the BBQ (first airing this year) - rather than using the oven - and did manage to achieve that 'mild smoky element' GR enthuses about, if a 'tandoor' isn't available:

'Many Indian villages have community ovens where families take their marinated meats, fish and vegetables to cook in blazing hot tandoors........'

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 4 Aug 2010
Being of pakistani origin and use to cooking traditional spicy food, I was a bit dubious about buying a Gordon Ramsay book with indian recipes. However the recipes are authentic and the few dishes I have made in the last week since i got the book have been really successful. Even my mum (who incidently is an excellent cook) had a browse through my book and decided to buy a copy too. I love the fact there are no pretentious east meets west recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate!, 6 July 2010
J. Pell "jpell" (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book is one of my FAVOURITE cookery books of all time. Every recipe works so well, but also tastes so good.It has given me the confidence to try recipes I wouldn't ever have contemplated and Indian food has now become a staple part of our diet.
Monkfish moilee - the first fish curry I have ever done.
Chicken palak - what a good use of spinach
Chicken badami - mild and delicious
Chicken biryani - the best! Beautiful flavours really work together ( lovely rice)
Jeera rice superb with egg curry. ( Never thought and egg curry would taste so good)
Now buy spices in larger quantities to keep up!
Thank you, Gordon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gordon Does India, 30 April 2012
I. Darren (Fi) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Traditionalists and purists of Indian food may scoff and sniff at this, but three-star Michelin chef Gordon Ramsay has put his immense talents to learning and translating the basics of Indian cookery whilst, at the same time, putting his own style and making the dishes easy for the home cook to prepare and enjoy.

This book is a "spin off" to a British television series that saw Ramsay travel around India, learning from some of the country's top chefs and regular street-food cooks alike what real Indian food is. What people think of Indian food can often be a pale imitation of the real authentic dish or, as in many cases, the dishes one enjoys at home are not even known of in the country of their alleged birth.

There is no standard Indian fare as each region has a wide-range of specialities, delicacies and signature dishes. Where commonality can be found there will still be regional influences based on practical and historical reasons. Here Ramsay gets to learn about what makes many of these dishes tick, whether it be taste, visual appearance, nature of ingredients or even a cultural difference.

Many cookery books featuring Indian food often manage to confuse the less-experienced reader by over-complicating matters or becoming intimidating through their desire to be authentic. Ramsay, whilst trying to keep the food true to its roots, acknowledges and accepts some practical differences - not everybody will have access to all of the cooking implements and fresh ingredients that would be desirable yet with a slight compromise and the use of ingredients that are increasingly-available in larger supermarkets around the world you will still get a dish that could be fit for a King, a Maharajah or a good family get together. With a little bit of effort one can enjoy a taste of India from your own kitchen.

At times one might forget this is principally a recipe book due to the wonderful colourful photographs and light, free-flowing text. It is like having a quality informal travel guide with a lot of recipes and expert advice thrown in. Each recipe is well-presented with much background information, tips and tricks and, as one would expect, one does not need to be a professional chef to follow and understand the instructions.

It would have been nice if more of the knowledge gained from his research could have been added to the book to add further "background impact" but then the book might have been a series of volumes and not so kitchen-friendly. Similar a version of the book with copies of the television series on a DVD or Blu-Ray disk would have been great, but licensing and technical issues involved with the television world still get in the way. If you get the chance to see the series or to buy a DVD/Blu-Ray copy you should do so for additional benefit.

This reviewer, himself an avid eater of Indian foods, found quite a lot of interesting recipes to try in the future as well as a lot of information nuggets to file away. This is not a classic reference book nor a classic recipe book but a jolly good hybrid. A sort of informal learning experience. This book really should be considered if you have enjoyed Indian food and wish to learn a little more about it and, hopefully, have an interest to try making some for yourself.

The book's very reasonable price makes it a bargain - particularly when you know it will be heavily-discounted by many larger outlets due to the television series tie in, meaning that it is going to be affordable to even more people. For less than the price of couple of typical takeaway meals, you could get the knowledge to make your own in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jan 2010
This is one of my favourite areas of cooking and Gordon has excelled in producing authentic tasting Indian food with easy to follow instructions. I've tried several of these recipes and they really don't disappoint. From spicy meat and fish dishes to vegetarian and desserts...wonderfully fragrant and tasty food, well done Gordon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dire beyond belief, 30 Jan 2012
M. Price (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I have cooked 8 different recipes and none of them actually wowed me, I have been cooking Indian and thai food for many years and the only reason I bought the book was because I saw the episode where gordon went to the Naga region, having grown some Naga chillies this last year figured it'd be nice to try an authentic recipe which the TV episode looked to promise - biggest surprise is that the recipe isn;t even in the book!

When I say I question the proof reading or authenticity of the book I ask you to look at the recipe for Cauliflower Tandoori, the ingredients listed for this make the coating a beige kind of colour and even when cooked don't really colour at all, the images in the book are a very dark brown / tandoori colour, very much a disconnect between the recipes and the photography.

It's not the worst book out on Indian food, if you wish to have some great Indian repertoire then I'd have a look for some Das Sreedharan or Pat Chapman, these are two very different style of cooks but both deliver amazing food from their published efforts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 29 Aug 2010
I love food and drink and have recently REALLY gotten into cooking and have bought a number of cookery books. This is the most exciting, interesting and mouth watering one that I've bought so far!

The pictures are lovely and the recipes are easy to follow. There isn't so much detail that you feel overwhelmed by the recipe, just enough to tell you how to prepare and cook it which is, as aforesaid, very easy to follow and thus the dishes turn out beautifully!

It is nothing like the Indian food that you will get over here. Very authentic and I would recommend finding an Indian supermarket to get all the spices and bits and pieces needed for it. It'll probably be a lot cheaper than a high street supermarket too.

I'm so glad I bought this book and couldn't recommend it more! Also, at the price it's a steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joy!, 14 May 2010
This is a beautiful book - full of delightful photographs and recipes that will remind me of the excellent TV programme.
It has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit India and I followed Gordon's Journey on TV which awakened my desire to go there too - this book is a tangent reminder of the wonderful programme and also full of my favourite recipes.
I live in France and have already cooked some of the dishes for my French friends - who found them delicious.

1.0 out of 5 stars No pictures in the kindle editon and recipes are trotted out like a train timetable, 13 Oct 2013
Massively disappointed since the description stated that this book was full of beautiful pictures, well that is not the case with the kindle edition and all you are left with are some boring descriptions. Sold under false pretenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookery book, 3 Oct 2013
This as got some great recipes and the region it was from are quite intersting to read too.,it gives you the ingrediants needed or a substitute

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›