5.0 out of 5 stars You must read this book.
This is an excellent book, I could not put it down. I read it within 2 days, and would recommend it to family and friends.

Published on 1 July 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read!
Published on 22 April 2009 by C. Walton

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read this book., 1 July 2008
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)

You will totally believe in the characters of Cyrla and her family. Their story is one of survival against all odds, the risks family and friends took to ensure their survival. The story has twists and turns, Cyrla has help from the last person she thought.

Sara Young really tells the story of the Lebensborn homes, it makes you think of all of those children born in these homes who never knew their real parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive reading, 27 Feb 2008
This review is from: MY ENEMY'S CRADLE (Hardcover)
A stunning and eloquent insight into a lesser known part of Nazi Germany, a addicitve page turner which will you leave breathless and hungry for more. Immerse yourself in this beautiful tale of love set in war history. An absolute must for anyone who enjoys war romance, twists and turns, suspense and drama. My Enemy's Cradle is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Enemy's Cradle, 10 July 2008
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
One of the best books I have read in a long time. Read it within 2 days and couldn't put it down. This is Sara Young's first novel for adults and hopefully not her last. The Lebensborn breeding programme is one of the less publised events which happened during the Second World War set up by Himmler to increase the population of the "master race". This is a moving story of betrayal, survival and love. Beautifully written.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 22 April 2009
C. Walton (Worsley, Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
I bought this book hoping to learn more about the Lebensborn babies born during the second world war to 'aryan' women in occupied Europe. This book had been recommended by the Radio 4 programme 'A Good Read'. While the book is a really good read, it did not tell me a great deal about this grotesque scheme nor what happened to the women or to the babies after the war. More of a bodice-ripper than non-fiction, but none the worse for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read and informative, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
This is a fiction novel and tells the story of a jewish girl in Holland during WW2. Her loves, losses and terror at the hands of the Nazi's and her journey into hiding in the Lebensborn home for pregnant women. The story of Lebensborn is a true one and is explored via a fictional character in this book. Well written and interesting. Worth a buy. Item arrived on time in an ok condition (the book was tatty).

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 1 July 2013
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
My host recommended me to read this book. We are on holiday in France in an area where the barbarity of the Nazi's is still commemorated. The Tricolours fly in the breeze and the small memorials list youngsters in their teens and twenties, resistance casualties. The historical subject is a chilling one. The fact the events took place only 70 or so years ago, so still in living memory of a few children at the time, is a thought given the freedom most of us enjoy today. The book flows well, keeping one turning the pages. A 24 hour read for me. Given the subject the ending was to me a little too bright. I often write alternative endings for books. I would have added a postscript covering an alternative revelation at birth and a twenty year after reflection of bring up a child in post war Europe. I might read again as I am sure in my speed reading I did not pick up all the hard work in detailing by the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Horrors of the Lebensborn, 12 Aug 2012
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
A sensitive and very readable novel dealing with the 'Lebensborn' programme instigated by the Nazis during World War II. Cyrla, a half Jewish-Polish and half Gentile-Dutch girl, is sent to Holland by her father just before World War II to escape the Nazis. With the German invasion of Holland and the resultant terrifying threat to anyone with any Jewish blood, Cyrla is in terrible danger. But then her best friend and cousin, Anneke, gets pregnant by a German soldier, and soon after dies mysteriously. Cyrla's aunt Mies is determined to save her niece and believes that Cyrla's passport to safety is taking Anneke's place in the Lebensborn (a maternity home where girls pregnant by German soldiers are looked after during pregnancy, with the understanding that they will give their babies up 'for the fatherland'. Cyrla is blonde, and looks similar to Anneke, and with the help of her Jewish boyfriend Isaak, she becomes pregnant. She is duly hidden in a Lebensborn home in Germany, under Anneke's identity, while her aunt tells everyone that it is Cyrla who has died. But can Cyrla get away with the deception? And things become even more complicated when Karl, the baby's father, arrives on a visit, and has a surprising confession to make.. or several...

I thought that Young's research into the terrible Lebensborn, set up by Himmler, was well carried out, and very interesting. The novel told one a lot about a particularly horrific period of European history, without trying to sweeten things too much, or be vulgarly sensationalistic. There was much interesting material from a historical point of view. Young also (unlike Pam Jenoff, whose characters all sound like modern Americans) wrote convincing dialogue, and the love story was very moving, and increasingly believable. If I stop short of five stars, it's because I occasionally found the writing style a little flat, felt that the relationships between Karl, Anneke, Isaak and Cyrla were never quite clarified, and that the ending was a little bit rushed. Still, it's a really good read, especially for those with a particular interest in World War II and the Nazi regime. I'll be interested to see what other adult novels Young writes - and well done to her for choosing such an interesting subject for her first adult novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what it says on the tin, 21 July 2011
M. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
Bought this thinking it would be believable as the cover says, it was a decent enough yarn, but a bit too far fetched for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars unputdownable, 24 Feb 2011
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
this is one of the best books i have ever read! i knew nothing about the lebensborns or the ayrian race before i picked this up but when i started, i could not put it down and read it in 2 days. even though her story is not actually true, you can throw yourself into the book and imagine the events taking place. i learned so much from reading this and would love to read others that are similar. my only critisism of the book is that after the war, it jumps about 7 years, towards the end which i thought was a bit of an anti-climax for such a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 24 Dec 2009
This review is from: My Enemy's Cradle (Paperback)
I struggled to tear myself away from this intresting and enjoyable read. I was fascinated to learn about the nazi breeding program that was central to the story, it is something I had never heard of and is yet another example of how sick and twisted the nazi philosophy was.

I felt great empathy for the half jewish main character Cyrla, who grows from a naive girl into a strong woman whilst trying to survive the holacaust.

A really excellent book, that had me on the edge of my seat - highly recommended.

My Enemy's Cradle
My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young (Hardcover - 7 Jan 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01