Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 April 2011
I love Daisy Waugh and I moved out of central London to the country and was bored rigid - so this book was a must for me. It delivered everything the title promised and although naughtily snobby and dismissive of her country neightbours the main character still manages to be very likeable. It's a very funny book, but I can understand that people who have not decamped from a metropolis to a sleepy country village might be offended by what she has to say. Me - I totally empathised and thought the story was hilarious!

I recommend it to anyone contemplating making such a life-changing move.
on 20 August 2009
This had a real `true story' feel to it. Anyone who has ever dreampt of moving from the town to the country should read this salutary tale - and stay put!
on 6 January 2013
The strangely alien social rules, the ominous silences at the slightest cursing, the jealously guarded yet hideously risible husbands, it's all here. Hell is other (rural) people....
on 6 October 2009
Really enjoted this book, had a few predictable areas but also some very funny and true to life areas. all round a good enjoyable read.
on 28 September 2008
Okay, it may not be the most intelligent book in the world - but I really enjoyed reading this. A good escape from my own tedium into someone else's even more disorganised and scatty world..... Each day I couldn't wait to get my head into this book and to be honest I haven't felt "pure harmless fun" about a book for a while now. Kind of like watching Desperate Housewives only middle class London types..... I laughed out loud a couple of times, but mostly I smiled quietly to myself.

Rather than holiday reading, I reckon it'll do you more good to read it during the duller parts of a grey week.
on 22 June 2014
I love Daisy Waugh's quick witted humour, she writes with intelligence, imagination and brilliant observation of life's characters.
Martha thinks the grass is greener in the country and moves her family from the inner city away from vandalism and the rush of city life thinking life will be better for all amongst the quiet rolling countryside.
This book speeds along as does Martha headlong into life.
I love the way Daisy has written this book as a diary (warts and all) and her description of characters and her funny nicknames for them. I love the realism of life's choices and the problems that come with choice and a moment's weakness. The fact that people are no different wherever we live, each area has it's problems/problem people.
I could not put the book down and I liked the ending - the fact that when you truly love someone it is possible to forgive by looking at ourselves and our own faults, no one is truly perfect.
Highly recommended read!
on 25 May 2010
I enjoyed this book. So refreshing to hear the other side of a move to the "country". Loved the waiting for the DVD box set to arrive and the husband spending more time in London than he ever did when the family lived there, so true. A good mix of real life and fantasy. ENJOY!
on 24 March 2013
I just could not get in to this nonsense of a book. I dont think i quite get the humour added in this book. I have not attempted to buy any other books by Daisy.
on 9 October 2014
Having moved into the country many years ago and left again, I could relate to the stepford feeling in Martha's life. She didn't fit in at all and Paradise was only really fiction. The battle with trying to get the house done and avoiding stepping on slugs and snails did have me howling with laughter, mainly because I have been there and done that.
You will love this story, from start to finish it's a hard book to put down.
on 11 June 2013
This is the first book by Daisy Waugh that I have read. It was a pleasant, but not particularly gripping read. As a country dweller, but definately NOT a stepford wife, I found it a bit patronising, and yes, I know its fiction, but life definately does not imitate art in this book. Life does NOT begin and end in London!! A nice light, holiday read. I would try another of Daisy Waughs books, just to see if they are any better.