5.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as other Chefs
These recipes really do work. My family have been cooking
Asian food for 15 years, and over that time, have accumulated
many Chinese cook books.There are no silly recipes in here.
Just quick and easy. The Chow Mein was plain sailing. I had
never seen a version of sweet n sour cooked like the
recipe, but it was so tasty. I like the way Ching...
Published on 9 July 2008 by Robert P. Splaine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good investment
I love the layout of this cookbook and the beautiful pictures really make you want to try the dishes. The only problem I had was that some of the ingredients are a little difficult to find and I would have liked suggestions to for non-alcoholic alternatives for some of the ingredients. Overall - a good buy.
Published on 13 April 2010 by Mrs. T. F. Johnston-N'dour

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book..., 6 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
I bought this book a few months ago and have been cooking out of it ever since. What I love most about it has given me ways to cook dishes I probably never would have tried without these recipes. This book offers me the chance to cook with some of my favourite ingredients in fresh, easy and ultimately tasty ways!

It helps if you have access to a chinese supermarket for some of the ingredients but the author always offers an alternative so this is not exclusive cooking.

I read some of the reviews on here saying it was too simplistic - but for me that is sort of the point. I'm still slightly amazed that I can make left over rice so delicious by adding just 4 ingredients (see Beijing Rice); and I wouldn't necessarily have had the confidence to choose those combinations otherwise.

I have been cooking this food for my friends and all of them have commented on how good it is, so as I recommended this book to them, I'm recommending it to you. It's really brought an extra dimension to the often dull job of deciding what to have for dinner after a long day at work and it really has made me think twice about ordering takeaway when I know I can make something just as nice if not better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 29 July 2008
S. Andrews "gaia_uk" (Dorset, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
I bought this after falling in love with the TV show of the same name. Everything seemed so easy to make (though granted she's had a bit more cooking experience than me...)I just had to buy it a give it a go!
This is a well written book with lovely clear example photographs, and an ingredient list that (after a quick check on a supermarket site) seems to be easily available. (Any that aren't quite so easy to hunt down have been given alternatives e.g. balsamic vinegar in place of the Chinkiang black rice vinegar.)
There's lots of variety throughout too: pork, beef, tofu, noodles, fish, shellfish...something for all tastes!
I've bought a few cookbooks without reading first that I've ended up regretting, once flipping through and realising I like, say, 2 out of 100 recipes. After reading this cover to cover I am very happy I purchased it and can't wait to start trying these delicious sounding recipes out!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!!, 7 Sept. 2008
D. Croft (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
I always thought that chinese food would be difficult to make, but this book proved me wrong as these recipies are easy and quick and also the best chinese food i have ever had. After buying this book, you will never want takeaway again when it is so much better to make it yourself. It is also good that Ching explains that history behind some of the dishes and also gives valuable information in the back for people who are not acquainted with chinese cooking or ingridents. The only problem is that some of the ingridents are not avaliale in most supermarkets such as wonton wrappers, however that does not change the fact that this book is great and also a must have for any cook.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Chinesey, 9 Dec. 2009
MrsOsborne2013 "Legally_Lillywhite" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
I bought this book having seen the TV series and after reading other reviews on Amazon. The only Chinese cookery book I own is by Ken Hom and I must admit I haven't cooked much from it - it seems so much easier to buy a ready mixed blend from the supermarket. However, these bought sauces have recently, for me, begun to taste all the same and I wanted to try cooking from scratch.

In that regard, most of Ching's recipes are a delight, all my Chinese favourites are here and have been pared down to make them easy to cook at home (without monosodium glutamate, colouring, etc.).

The only gripe I have is that some of the ingredients are not easy to find in a small mining town...... a specialist Chinese supermarket is at least 14 miles away from me....... so some noodles, dried ingredients and particular wines and vinegars are probably going to be substituted with plain egg noodles, fresh mushrooms, dry sherry and balsamic! (To be fair, Ching does recommend these as alternatives in some of her recipes).

All in all, I like Ching and her recipes very much and will be cooking from this book more often (sorry Ken).

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Ching-He Huang, 5 July 2008
C. Platt - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
After buying Ching's first book (China Modern) last year, I had high expectations for this book. I have to say it does not disappoint. Don't be put off by the healthy part in the title, it should just simply say "tasty recipes"

4.0 out of 5 stars Wok on Ching!, 24 Aug. 2008
Mr. TB Reeks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
I've loved Chinese food since the first time I went to a restaurant as a kid and ordering from the takeaway was an expensive and unhealthy habit of mine at university. I always thought that recreating those flavours out of the restaurant environment was quite impossible - not so!

In this wonderful book, Ching takes the mystery out of delicious Chinese cooking. You're likely to have many of the ingredients in your kitchen already - garlic, root ginger, oil. By taking the illusions out of Chinese cooking she has made it all the more successful by easing us into the recipes - "Takeaway Favourites" is one chapter.

As for the recipes, there is something to appeal to everyone here. Here is a list of what I've made so far: Chicken Chow Mein, Beijing Rice, Mu Shu Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork and Sichuan Orange Beef.

My only fault with the book would be for vegetarians. There doesn't seem to be much choice for them. Also some of the ingredients do prove a little difficult to get hold of if you don't live in a city.

Apart from those little faults - can we have some more please Ching?

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastes nice, format a bit wrong, 6 Feb. 2010
Justin Fretwell (Chelmsford, Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
I love the food, it tastes nice. nothing i've had (5-6 recipes so far) has tasted anything but nice.

book slips up on a two things stand out for me:

1) I like to know how long its going to taste to prepare and then how long to cook.
2) Some of the methods that you are told to do in the book are not explained e.g. beef dish using fillet beef: bang it a few times with a cleaver? what does that mean? i have 400g of tender beef and i need to bang it with the end of the knife a few times? does that mean tenderise it? it's fillet beef, its as tender as you get. i used a mallet thing to bash it in the end.
3) Someone said that the quantities are a bit over, i'd agree. Some things need to be altered in the next revision. i've been marking stuff in my book where i think it needs more or less, for next time.

the book would get 3 stars if the food wasnt good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Jan. 2009
S. Brice (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
This book truely is amazing. I have never cooked complicated recipies from stratch until now. And everthing truely tastes like the takeaway version. We have now tried crispy chicken, mango chicken, chicken chow main, vegetable pan cakes and more and everyone has turned out really well and tasted fantastic. Recipies are quick to cook and instructions are easy to follow. You can use normal supermarket ingrediants or try a chinese supermarket for more specialist products. I find Sainsburys have a wide rang of products. I would highly recommend this book to anybody who wants to start cooking exciting food from scratch which s quick, easy and healthy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book made easy, 2 Oct. 2011
Chris Parker (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
Ok, this book is really good, that is undeniable. The food always tastes great, is simple and the ingredients are readily available in your local supermarket (normal, not Chinese). I have also used these recipes to impress my Chinese friends. However, I also have the sister book (Ching's Chinese Food in Minutes) which I tend to prefer. The quality in both books is the same, I just prefer that collection of recipes. For example, when planning a romantic Chinese dinner, I might have 6 dishes in total. 1 might be from Chinese Food Made Easy, 5 from Chinese Food in Minutes. However, you might be the other way round.

Great book that you can't go wrong with, but I would buy Chinese Food In Minutes first, and then this as a companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! tasty and fast, 24 Jan. 2011
Tamaartje (the netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chinese Food Made Easy (Hardcover)
Of all the chinese cookbooks I own (and I own many!) this is my favourite one. It does exactly what it says. It makes chinese cooking easy. Bringing traditional recipes into the 21st century. I am part Chinese (only part, not entirely) and was brought up with many Chinese recipes, handed down the generations. Although I love most of them, I hardly ever cooked them after I moved out of my parents home, because the where just to fussy, especially the marinating, and frankly a bit fattening.

Now that I own this cookbook. I've been cooking chinese regularly (much to my father's delight ;-) ). I especially love her recipe for dan dan noodles. Those are on the table in about 15 minutes. Very helpfull if you're a mom of 2 like me. She's also made healthier versions of tradional recipes, or chosen recipes that where healthy to begin with.
Other recipes I love are the egg flower drop soup, the chili chicken noodles, fast hot and sour noodle pot (yes, I love noodles!) and the spiced beef stir fry.
I've tried many recipes in the book and I have yet to find one that didn't work.
I also like the little tips of ingredients you might substitute.
Together with Ken Hom, Ching is my Chinese cookery hero!

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Chinese Food Made Easy
Chinese Food Made Easy by Ching-He Huang (Hardcover - 7 July 2008)