4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive and deceptive!
Published on 5 May 2010 by Alan H. Eastwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy kindle edition
I bought kindle edition but it's incomplete and I can't get my money back. I don't get it. What's the point of a kindle edition if it's incomplete????? It's jumping from,for ex. location 374 to 389, 389 to 404, 404 to 418 and so on.

Other ways the book looks very informative and easy to read.
Published 9 months ago by cati

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive and deceptive!, 5 May 2010
Alan H. Eastwood "Northerner" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cholesterol Counter (Paperback)
I picked up this book because I'm anxious to keep my cholesterol at healthy levels after stopping taking statins. The book is very deceptive - a quick flick through the pages reveals table after table of foodstuffs and figures, with a little narrative accompanying each table describing the qualities of the food group in question. However, the first 100 pages contains an extremely useful and clear explanation of a large variety of diet-related topics, not simply cholesterol, making this a good, concise guide to healthy eating in general. There is, of course, an emphasis on cholesterol, what it is in its different forms, and how it affects the cardio vascular system, but there is also a large amount of information on other aspects. Different types of fat are explained, their importance in maintaining a healthy body, and how they are best obtained. The main emphasis is on the benefits of the `Mediterranean Diet', although GI (Glycaemic Index) is also touched upon, with clear explanations of all the major constituents of diet - fat, carbohydrate, fibre, vitamins - and how we can improve our overall health by making some easy adjustments and without compromising variety. This isn't a weight-loss book by any means, but tactics for reducing weight and the importance of maintaining diversity in food choices are included. The role of alcohol, exercise and smoking are also discussed, and the information appears to be very up-to-date.

Personally, I would have been happy just to have that first 100 pages as a book in itself. Being normal paperback book size, rather than pocket-size, means it is less portable and practical as some of the other Collins guides, so the tables may be of more use when planning menu ideas rather than as a handy reference when out shopping. Definitely worth a look for anyone wanting to know how they can be proactive in keeping healthy cholesterol levels, and healthy generally!

5.0 out of 5 stars cholesterol counter BRILLIANT SERVICE, 25 Sep 2009
Lynn Reddall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cholesterol Counter (Paperback)
Great little book especially for those who need to keep track of saturated fats ie to maintain/lower chlesterol levels. Highly recommend this essential little book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended: Very Helpful, Clear, and Concise., 30 Dec 2011
C. Murrell "direct current" (England) - See all my reviews
This excellent little book offers very helpful, clear, and concise information to any reader(s) concerned about or interested in changing their cholesterol (which could be useful for the more common need to lower cholesterol as well as the less common need to raise cholesterol). The first part of the book explains cholesterol so that the second part of the book can be properly understood and contextualised. The second part of the book is crammed full with cholesterol ratings for very many different foods, enabling readers, for example, to compare ingredients in conjunction with a recipe/ cook book. The second part of the book makes, effectively, for a very valuable reference manual. Whilst the pocket-sized compactness of the book is really neat and very convenient for handling/ storage or even taking out and about for reference whilst shopping or dining; it could be rather difficult to read the small print, especially within the various charts and tables. Highly recommended for anybody who may want to control their cholesterol by diet. I purchased this book because my Mum's GP wrote a prescription and my Mum was very concerned about the listed side effects. I suggested that she could try lowering her cholesterol by diet and may only need to resort to medical intervention if diet known to lower cholesterol failed so to do. My Mum is very happy with the book and is using it as a reference manual in conjunction with a low cholesterol cookbook which contains numerous recipes; some of which she is not too keen on or does not have sufficient time to prepare. I can strongly recommend this little book for that purpose. It is written in reader-friendly language and may at first look a little daunting but does not take long to use effectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: Cholesterol Counter (Paperback)
Having just had a shock diagnosis of severe cardio vascular disease but not high cholesterol I needed every bit of advice to reduce my cholesterol to very low levels as my condition is inoperable. I found this little book very helpful indeed and would recommend it both for the opening info and the tables which I refer to all the time. They helped me take a more informed and rational approach to my diet which was already pretty good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy kindle edition, 17 Nov 2013

Other ways the book looks very informative and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 21 April 2013
KC (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was recently told by my Doctor I had cholesterol level of 8.8 ! I was given a very brief leaflet to read which lacked the information I wanted to know. This book was a very easy read, giving me ALL the information I needed, without too much medical jargon. Highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cholesterol book that is easy to understand and provides a comprehensive and accurate list of what to avoid!, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cholesterol Counter (Paperback)
I bought this book mainly for the reason of trying to alter my diet, and to make the necessary changes, to lower my total cholesterol levels as they are high for my age at 6.1. Its written in a clear and concise way in table format, so you can see at a glance what you're eating and the foods to avoid, as the cholesterol content for each product is clearly listed. I would highly recommend it if you need an easy to understand book on the topic.

3.0 out of 5 stars cholesterol counter, 8 May 2009
S. Alders (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cholesterol Counter (Paperback)
Indepth book, needs a good read to get the hang of it. Hopefully will help when shopping as handbag sized for the wife.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little book, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Cholesterol Counter (Paperback)
only arrived yesterday, took longer than i expected, filled with information and much more in it than I expected, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so helpful, 23 Jan 2014
Jean M. Bhatt - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cholesterol Counter (Paperback)
This book is full of useful information any one counting calories will find it very handy. I am using it every day.

Cholesterol Counter
Cholesterol Counter by Kate Santon (Paperback - 29 July 2011)
9.99