5.0 out of 5 stars Life in a black village in South Africa in the apartheid era
Published on 30 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read
As a young person, I found this a very disturbing, yet gripping book. I first read it about 5years ago, whilst at school, but I found that I enjoyed it better once I wasnt under the pressure of being "forced" to read it. I would certainly recommemd this book to anyone: young, or old.
Published on 5 Feb 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Life in a black village in South Africa in the apartheid era, 30 July 2001
By A Customer
Having read "The Other Side of Truth" and "No Turning Back" I went on to read "Journey to Jo'Burgh." Like her other novels once you start reading it you cannot put it down. This is a very moving account of life for a typical black family living in the country in South Africa during the apartheid years.The baby gets a fever and the older sister and brother, realising the baby is very ill, set off on foot to find their mother in Jo'burgh over 300km away. What happens to them on the journey and subsequently makes a very gripping story. I could not read the book quickly enough as I became so concerned for the welfare of the children. It gives an excellent insight into what an apartheid meant and I would encourage any child as they become aware of human rights to read this. Any adult who like me was too young to realise what was happening in South Africa in the apartheid times needs to read it. I would like to visit South Africa now.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Journey!, 25 Mar 2008
Robert Gowling (N Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
My Dad bought me this book, and i really enjoyed it.Finished it in an hour! I only rated it 4 stars because i thought that it just stopped.If there was a follow up, of what the girl did with her life it would be great! Still, the book had a gripping story line and gives you a taste of what it was and is like, for Coloured people in White community's,and how fortunate we are to live in a country, with all the modern appliances and running clean fresh water.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a toching story about a black family in South africa, 11 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Journey to Jo'burg (Paperback)
This book is a can't put down book .It gives the reader an insight into the lives of many black south african Familys.I Advise you to go out and buy this book before its too late .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 3 April 2009
This is a really empathetic book that I have used with children aged 9 and 10. It gives them a great feel for racism and the horrific prejudice that people have faced, and in some cases, still do face. I thoroughly recommend this book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey to Jo'burg book., 16 July 2011
This review is from: Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
Bought the book because the class i work with work were working on part of this story and we all wanted to know the whole story. Very good. The children enjoyed it and were interested to know if the endings they had written to the story matched the book.Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captured by son's imagination, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
My son was eight when his teacher read this book to his class. He was completely captured by the book and the issues that it deals with. The whole class loved it, including the teacher...a friend of mine! Wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb story to enable children to understand apartheid, 30 May 2010
This review is from: Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
In common with many schools, we are teaching about South Africa, on the run up to the World Cup. I shared this book with my year 3/4 class and was amazed at how involved the children were with the story and the maturity of their comments about the apartheid system. Careful research into the "Time of Fire" led all of us into a deeper understanding of the terrible injustices suffered by black people. Can't recommend the book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great journey!, 16 July 2009
Mr. P. Girault (Farnham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
A beautiful story. I read it and study it with my class of year4 and they loved it. They liked learning about the arpatheid. The story is filled with dilemmas. A must have in the classroom as this is brilliant for drama. They enjoyed re-enacting the chapters as well as writing letters to offer advice to the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for inquisitive children, 8 Jun 2012
Read to my Year 4 class at school. Excellent book, raised lots of questions and discussion regarding aparthied, discrimination and systems of government.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)
A brilliant book to enlighten KS2 children to life for a group of black children when apartheid laws applied in South Africa. My daughter enjoyed reading it, and raised lots of questions and discussion about life for the children during those years.

Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics)
Journey to Jo'Burg (Essential Modern Classics) by Beverley Naidoo (Paperback - 3 Mar 2008)
4.79