4.0 out of 5 stars This is a tear-jerker
I am a complete bookworm. I read every bit of literacy set in front of me, and believe me, I never cry.
Published on 28 Dec 2004 by m

1.0 out of 5 stars Teeth-grinding experience
Published on 18 Jan 2008 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a tear-jerker, 28 Dec 2004
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
Whoops, don't believe me. I started reading PS I love you, on Christmas Day. I started to cry on Christmas Day, from the very first chapter!!! I then continued to cry throughout it is just so sad, but don't think its dreary, I was laughing through it too on too many frequent occasions.
The ending. Let's just say, I had it all planned in my head. It didn't happen as I thought.
My only comment is that on occasions the writing becomes a bit long-winded with scenes I didn't really find apporpriate. They became a bit passive, making me have to read the passage a second time to understand what had been said, but this does not take away from the story!
This is a lovely book from a talented author. I can't wait to read her other published book

1.0 out of 5 stars Teeth-grinding experience, 18 Jan 2008
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
I read this book over a year ago, and have for the most part - blissfully - forgotten about it, until the film came out and stars one of my favourite actors, Gerard Butler. It brought back every emotion I had. This book is the only one I've read during which I've found myself grinding my teeth and had a perverse sense of joy when I recycled it. I should have put it down sooner, but I don't like giving up on books.

The concept is fine and some parts are good, but for the most part, it was so badly written and edited that I couldn't help but be frustrated.

Bearing in mind some details are fussy, my frustrations:

1. The main character is the only one capable of being funny - or so it's written. When she makes a remark, everybody laughs and spends hours (!) laughing at her joke/comment. In places, I had to re-read chapters in order to find out what was so funny. I never did.

2. Every new male character who is tall, dark and handsome falls madly in love with the lead character. Every new male character who is ordinary and 'ugly' is a creep. Furthermore, practically all the new female characters are horrendous creatures, who are nasty to the main character (of course!).

3. You're meant to believe that the main character - who's barely finished college, has never had a good full-time job, and has been unemployed for months since her husband's illness/death - can suddenly sit down and write a list of potential jobs she wants (out of about 15, only 1 is realistic and that's something like a marketing executive!!!). Of course, she applies and despite the complete lack of experience or qualifications, she gets an interview within a week, the job within a similar time frame, and ends up being the best employee the firm's ever had. It's completely unbelievable.

4. Every character's predominant facial expression is winking. Funny enough, in curiosity, I looked at one of Ahern's subsequent novels and the main expression there, just after flicking through a few pages, was raised eyebrows.

It is clear that these details have remained with me, and some readers would address me as being completely unfair. Yet, these frustrations could not even make my say it was an okay book. If it was possible, I wouldn't even give the book a one star. I seriously do not understand how it became as successful as it did. I hate to say it, but I believe her father's position likely helped. After all, there are better books out there that tackle similar subjects and I am sure better authors who've yet to get published.

5.0 out of 5 stars P.s I Love You, 1 Oct 2004
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
I am not much of a reader, but getting a voucher for my 18th, i thought I would change my habits.I saw this book and read the blurb which does not do it any justice at all.
From the minute I opened the book I found it very hard to tear myself away from it. finding that at every spare moment I had I would pick it up.
The story is based on Holly and her husband Gerry who passes away with a brain tumour. Holly, as many of us have found it hard losing others and this is no different. She stuggles to come to terms with what has happened to her.
She recieves a call from her mother saying there is a note for her. It turns out her husband has left her notes that last 10 months. Each month a new one is opened with something different to help guide her to progress with her life 'without' him. This novel is very heart felt and touched my heart on a number of occasions. Throughout the book I had to fight back the tears.
This is a must read! I'm just looking forward to many more of Aherns books to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 Sep 2004
L. Dodsworth "Lorla" (West London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
This was an amazing book! I was hooked from the minute I picked it up. The mix of sad and happy emotions had me in tears on the tube - getting some very funny looks! I haven't read a book like it for many years and I'm a real book worm.......it's a must for any book worm like myself!

1.0 out of 5 stars PS: This book is terrible, 22 July 2004
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
I am ashamed to say that I bought this book because of the Richard & Judy recommendation; I knew it would be "lite" but thought that given the book's backing there must be more to it than your usual chick lit formulaic fluff. I knew within two pages that I was wrong; it is much worse than the average chick lit novel. The writing is so appallingly bad that I had to stop myself from flinging the book across the room and was surprised to read that the author had gone to journalism school (and there I was thinking she was a soppy thirteen-year-old). The characters are one-dimensional and boring and I quickly became tired of the author's continual and patronising reiteration that the characters are hilarious and mad. They most definitely are not. OK, maybe I would find them funny and cool if I was a middle-class teenage virgin who lived in a small village surrounded by pensioners and cows, but I'm not. And as any writer who has learnt the basics of writing knows, you don't keep telling the readers that your characters are this or that, you SHOW the reader your character's attributes. I feel that in this way, and indeed in many others, the author was badly let down by her editor if not her own lack of talent. The premise was interesting, and the book could have explored themes of grief and hope and carrying on in a mature and interesting way, but unfortunately the author just isn't good enough for that. It is rare that a book makes me angry, but this did as I felt it had only managed to get published in the knowledge that many readers want drivel, and demand neither intelligent observations, unusual scenarios and flowing prose from their reading material.

1.0 out of 5 stars What promising first novel? It's not PS I love you, 4 Aug 2004
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
Having read a few reviews of this book and heard one on the radio, I looked forward to reading my copy. It was a disappointment from start to finish. The widow finding it hard to cope was real enough but a dead husband telling his wife what to do, where to go out for the night, the clothes to buy and places to go on holiday. One brother filming the drunken women without them realising or even having a clue? Another brother hiding his secret gardening? I could go on and on (and on). Just too far fetched for me. Maybe this is a book for 16-30 year olds. It is definitely not for this middle-aged woman.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, 20 Feb 2004
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
I bought this to read on holiday, I read the reviews in the press and it sounded really good. Boy was I wrong.
Although the initial idea and premise for the novel is good, I just felt that it was lacking in something, and agree with one of the previous reviews that there was something quite childish in the way it was written, and it just lacked something to me.
I lost patience with the main character Holly and in the end I didnt really care what happened and gave up reading it. Which is a shame. I really had high hopes for this one and I felt quite let down.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a shame..., 21 May 2008
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
... because I did have high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, as the author seems to have no idea what it would be like to lose someone, she could have benefitted from doing some research. Sitting around the house feeling miserable is a bit of a simplistic view.

It's also obvious that the author is writing about characters much older than she is, as they all seem a bit childish to me, as is the writing style. But maturity could improve this.

All-in-all, you'd be better off reading "Anybody out there?" by Marian keyes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 21 July 2004
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
Bought this against my better judgement on the back of all the hype about it expecting an entertaining read. I can't believe a book like this actually made it to the printers. Turgid and simple minded. Can't help thinking Gerry faked his own death to get away from Holly. I used to be a great advocate of not judging a book by it's cover but the flowery, insipid, sickly cover of this book suits it very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and breathtaking, 7 April 2014
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
P.S. I Love You was a book and then a film, but in this case I RECOMMEND THE BOOK! The book is breathtakingly beautiful. It's deep, it's moving, it will make you laugh one minute and you will be reaching for tissues the next. I cannot describe how much more the book gives you, the writing is beautiful, the descriptions are amazing, the letters had me crying and it is a book you will want to read all over again. Stunning.

PS, I Love You
PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (Paperback - 5 Nov 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01