4.0 out of 5 stars Clever, enjoyable book
Published on 18 Aug. 2008 by F. Hanna

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good...some good parts
For this book I have to mention the cover: it's just exquisite. I love the colours, the image and they way it immediately makes you pick it up off the shelf.

I have to say though, I was really disappointed with this book.

Published on 14 Dec. 2010 by GloriousBooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good...some good parts, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Wicked Lovely (Paperback)

I have to say though, I was really disappointed with this book.

To get the 'hate' side of this review over and done with, I thought this book was incredibly dry. Nothing really happened that caught my attention in any way, making reading it a really long and tedious process.

I also didn't like Keenan's character in the story. He was supposed to be a centuries old faery and yet he didn't seem like it; he seemed like an obsessed high school boy just bumbling along, blindly, throughout the whole story; he didn't seem to make any decisions for himself.

In addition to this, the plot was just too predictable for me. The moment all of the characters were introduced I could guess, straight off, what would happen at the end. It made the whole story clichéd, unoriginal and unsatisfying.

BUT! I did love the faery folklore behind the story which I think gives Wicked Lovely quite a bit of credit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever, enjoyable book, 18 Aug. 2008
F. Hanna (Blue Springs, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked Lovely (Paperback)
The character development in this book is extremely good, and the storyline well thought out. The author gives readers a chance to empathise with the situation of each individual; for the Summer King's ex-summer-queen contender, Donia - who due to her love for the Summer King, is painfully subjected to an eternity of icy torment until another takes her place. For Aislin who loves Seth, her Gran and both fears and hates the faeries that only she (and other humans with "the sight" can see.) For Keenan, the Summer King, who has a really horrible mother (killed his father) and although Keenan cares for all the poor human girls (but in particular, loves Donia) he must lure human girls into faery life to finally find his Summer Queen (which will save all his fey subjects and dispose his cruel mother from her Winter Queen reign.) For Seth who believes the impossible to believe out of love for Aislin (a guy with incredible faith and patience as well as quite a few body piercings / tattoos). The book winds its way through good Vs evil and even finds a way for all the main characters to be with the one they love. A satisfying book that left me hoping for a sequel - it is worth your time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked and lovely?, 18 Aug. 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wicked Lovely (Hardcover)
I waited a long time to read this book, so by the time I finally found the time for it, I did have big expectations. Luckily, WICKED LOVELY managed to live upto them.

The story follows Aislinn, a young girl who can see faeries all around her. Although it makes life a little disturbing, she has lived by 3 rules, passed onto her by her grandmother:-
Rule #1: Don't attract the attention of faeries
Rule #2: Don't talk to invisble faeries
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries

The only problem is, the faeries don't seem to be abiding by the rules which govern them. Increasingly they are following Aislinn around, going to places where they are not meant to be able to follow. Aislinn's world no longer seems safe; she knows she should not trust faeries, but what do they want from her, why are they so interested in her?
And then Keenan comes into her life; a man who is unbelievably attractive. As Keenan pays more and more attention to Aislinn, she finally learns that he is The Summer King and he believes that Aislinn is his Summer Queen.
What follows is an examination of what happens when love, desire and destiny all seem to be at odds against each other. For, if Keenan is right, what will that mean for Aislinn's future?

Marr has done an excellent job at creating a fairytale for the twenty-first century. Unlike women in other fairytales, Aislinn is not the sort of girl to just accept her apparant destiny without a struggle, or even some form of negotiation. She creates a world which is believable and even wickedly tempting, when she talks of the fey folk walking alongside us. By including extracts of old books on fey belief and legend, Marr has also added a further touch of magic.
The characters are well developed - my personal favourites being Donia and the Winter Queen. I do not know if this is the first in a series, but Marr leaves us with an ending which could easily be a way of revisiting these characters and this world. I personally hope she does write a sequel, as it would be fantastic to see how the characters manage to live with their various roles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 13 Nov. 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wicked Lovely (Hardcover)
Aislinn has always followed the rules. Her Grandmother has drilled them into her since she was a young child. Don't stare at invisible faeries. Don't speak to invisible faeries. Don't ever attract the faeries' attention. Aislinn has developed the skill to ignore them. She walks past them without flinching, even when the faeries are pinching or touching others around her like they love to do.

Faeries come in many shapes and sizes and Aislinn has seen them all. She's seen them in the glamours they wear in order to pass as humans and can pick one out of a crowd even when they are trying to blend in. Aislinn has never been surprised by what she has seen them do - that is, until they start breaking the rules.

Faeries don't like steel. It causes them pain and weakens them. Because of that, Aislinn's "safe" place has always been Seth's house. Seth is a long-time friend who happens to live in a converted steel train car. Aislinn always knew that if she could make it there she'd have peace, because the faeries could never follow her into the train yard. But, something has changed. They are creeping closer and closer and paying more attention to her. They are even gathering outside Seth's place.

Aislinn really begins to worry when two faeries, Keenan and Donia, approach her and speak directly to her. She gets away from them as quickly as possible, now hyper-aware of the growing number of faeries surrounding and following her. She hears them say things like, "Do you think she's the one?" Aislinn realizes that in order to figure out what they want from her she is going to have to break the rules she's grown up with all of her life.

Keenan is the Summer King. His mother, the Winter Queen, has limited his powers and is slowly taking over the elements. Days are colder and eventually everything will be covered in ice, unless Keenan finds the girl who is meant to be his Summer Queen. Together they would have the power to overcome the Winter Queen's chill. Keenan thinks Aislinn is the one and she is in danger because of it. The Winter Queen will do everything she can to prevent her son from getting the power he needs to overthrow her. Another problem, of course, is that Aislinn doesn't want to be Summer Queen. She has avoided faeries all of her life and she sure doesn't want to become one now. Especially when her feelings for Seth have developed into more than friendship - and becoming the Summer Queen would mean spending an eternity with Keenan.

Melissa Marr has written a wonderfully inventive story that incorporates actual quotes from books written on the subject of faeries dating back to the 1800's. Her ability to keep a complicated story with several important characters clear to the reader is phenomenal. The relationship she creates between Aislinn and Seth is heartwarming, leading the reader to fall in love right along with them. If you aren't usually a fan of faerie stories, you might want to give this one a try. The blending of the realistic world and the world of the fey is masterfully done. You'll almost believe faeries are all around you.

Reviewed by: Karin Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and Spellbinding, 29 July 2009
Fiona Massey "jellyfi1" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is aimed at kids, but at 36, I LOVED it!
Aislinn is a mortal (human) Keenan is a Faery (Fairy) but not just ANY faery, he is the Summer King.
Aislinn is a normal teenager, who falls in love with Seth, but since she was born Aislinn has been able to see Faery's everywhere she goes.
In the past steel has kept them at bay, as they find steel exhausting and painful to be around, but some faery's will do anything, just to get their Summer Queen (Aislinn)
Yes, Aislinn is The one, but she is not romantically interested in Keenan at all, so although she becomes the Summer Faery Queen, Aislinn stays with Seth, and Keenan stays with Donia, who was Aislinn's predecessor so to speak, but she was not the one, and when Donia touched the wooden staff, she was made to carry the cold (where she is never warm, and is always suffering), thanks to Keenan's evil mother, Beira, and Donia was to warn any suitors to Keenan that he was bad and not to do it or trust him.
Beira has ruled the Faery kingdom with an iron fist, making every Faery unhappy (with the exception of the Dark Faery, who seem to thrive on the misery she causes)
To cut a long story short, Aislinn = Mortal but now Summer Faery Queen, Seth = Still Mortal, loves Aislinn.
Keenan = Faery, needs Aislinn to defeat his horrid mother and over throw the permanent state of winter.

All in all, an infectious read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, this is NOT for younger readers, although 13+ years would find it great.

I've just brought the continuing two books, and can't wait to get them!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 21st century faery lore, 15 Jun. 2009
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ever since the Pevensie children discovered that there was more than met their childish eyes in the back of the wardrobe in their uncle's mansion things have never been quite the same and the realms of the real and the fantastick have never been closer.

Ms Marr would appear to be a student of faery lore judging by her title references that have plundered the supernatural and occult tomes of the late 19th early 20th centuries especially Andrew Lang, he of fairy books in assorted colours fame,Walter Gregor and the wondeful Lady Francesca Speranza Wilde. Marr's research is defintely wide ranging and bound in the UK faery folk lore.

Her faeries (older spelling??) are far from the gentle Cottingly variety as feted by Arthur Conan Doyle and Co with their bobbed hair and pretty flower-patterned frocks. these faeries are feisty street wise, shape-changing malevolent punky creatures who may well have Tori Amos on their ipods.

They are sexually predatory little daemons who love to cause chaos ~ references back to the country fairies (sic) who turned the milk sour and blighted new born babies if the currency of fairy gold had not been paid ~ and the fact that they are ever present in contemporary USA, may even be sitting in your own class room arguing with you may seem a little unsettling or, indeed more likely, thrilling.

These faeries are stalkers who will pursue you until they get what they want. The cute new boy may well be a Faery King looking for his queen, can you resist?

Marr has tapped in to the new young adult market weened on Buffy, Rowling, Charmed and Twilight ( as quoted on the book blurb) but even more has invaded the psyche of a generation for whom the barriers between fantasy and reality have truly broken down. This can result in mass schizophrenia or a joy of being alive when anything is possible
There cannot be much wrong with anybody who chooses to believe in fairies.
What would life have been like without Tinkerbell and as we know from J.M.Barrie a fairy dies every time somebody says they don't believe in them.

If you have enjoyed recent books by Frances Hardinge this should definitely be on your summer reading list.

Is there a faery in the check out queue?
Theres always a faery within a metre of you
dear reader, if you are reading this review
remember what we say is true.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The most enchanting story I've read in a long time!, 7 Aug. 2007
David Bridger (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wicked Lovely (Hardcover)
I read this delightful book in one eight-hour sitting, torn between taking it slowly to savour every emotion and gobbling it up quickly to discover how all these wonderful characters fare in the end. It's totally unputdownable!

Melissa Marr's worldbuilding skill is superb. I found myself immersed very quickly. She gives us characters we can love, plunges them into difficult situations, then drives them rapidly and inevitably towards danger. I particularly like the way her main players have to juggle with moral pros & cons, in a world where taking one of the "right" options might harm as many innocent people as doing a "wrong" thing.

A wonderful read! Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars not what i hoped, 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Wicked Lovely (Paperback)
I had really high expectations and I was really looking forward to reading this book but unfortunatly it didn't live up to my high hopes. I really wanted to like this book and in some bits I did but I just felt it was lacking of something.
I somehow didn't warm up to Aislin and wasn't too exited about Seth either, he seemed a bit BORING, too kind and too understanding (blah blah). The only characters I liked were Keenan and Donia but I didn't feel like I had a chance to get to know them as much as I would have liked. And at the same time I got to know Seth TOO much, I was also put off by all the countless piercings he was meant to have on he's face. I found that Aislin didn't seem to have much of personality, I couldn't really figure her out at all. I was also disappointed about the ending, it just seemed a bit silly somehow.
The good points this book had was definatly Keenan and Donia, I could have read more and more about them two! Donia was such a great character I found myself hoping that the book would have been about her instead. I also enjoyed the world of faeries, the bits descriping their wolrd were the most enjoyable ones.
I still think this book was worth to read although I'm not buying the sequel to this...

5.0 out of 5 stars A pure pleasure from the first to the last word, 2 Aug. 2009
Mr. A. J. D. White - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would have to say thats its rare that I enjoy a book as much as I have enjoyed reading this one, Melissa Marr has a writing style that just makes you want to read another chapter or 2 before you put the book down. She has a light touch when it comes to her characters but the stories she tells with the main characters gave me all I needed to fully visualise them in my mind, this didn't work so well for all characters... I was disappointed that Grams was in the novel so little as I felt she was a hugely important part of the story but was pretty much ignored.

I really enjoyed the complex world that Melissa has created and loved the fact the Fey strike true to the myths I know of them, they can be cruel and malicious, they play games and have no regard for the mortal world. This played brilliantly against Aislinn and Seth's growing relationship as the needs and desires of the main protagonists fought against each other.

This novel makes a couple of references to illegal drugs at the start and sex is mentioned in a roundabout way a couple of times but not in any protracted or detailed manor, personally I would rate this novel for teens and older.

4.0 out of 5 stars I can see faery people...., 1 Jun. 2009
debbie8355 (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is much to recommend in this teenage romance novel. The book is really captivating with the heroine Ash/Aislinn being able to see faeries in much the same way in the 'sixth sense' the boy could see dead people. The premise of being able to see another world and faeries interacting with oblivious people is a chilling and sometimes humorous one. I loved the way faeries are responsible for unexplained bruises. The action is set in the modern day with school life featuring prominently. The beginning of the book when all the faery versus human is explained and unfolds is 5 star.
Aislinn is drawn into the Faery world against her wishes and then I feel the book becomes far too complicated and not descriptive enough. I didn't think the faery world was explained well or brought to life but still rates a 3/4 star. The characters including the faeries are well thought out and interesting. The Winter Queen was quite chilling but I must admit I got quite lost between summer, winter, fey, court and dark faeries.
I would have loved reading this book as a teenager. The romance and thwarted romances are great reading.
Recommended for teenage girls.

Wicked Lovely
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Paperback - 2 April 2009)