5.0 out of 5 stars Downbeat, but great
Published on 13 Aug. 2008 by P. J. A. Jennings

3.0 out of 5 stars Frying tonight!
Published 21 months ago by DEREK HEATLY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Downbeat, but great, 13 Aug. 2008
P. J. A. Jennings "pja_jennings" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dying to Sin (Paperback)
A tourist advert for the Peak District of Derbyshire this aint! It's cold, it's wet, it's bleak mid winter and the natives are unfriendly and uncooperative. Detectives Fry and Cooper have two unidentified skeletons on their hands at a deserted farm in the middle of nowhere. Slowly they piece together a tale of crime and violence coupled with superstition and "The Old Religion". Meanwhile the body count starts to rise. To add to their misery, they've a new boss who is out to stamp her authority on the local force.

One gets the impression that maybe this is a bit more like how real police work goes, albeit condensed into a relatively few days. But don't get me wrong, despite the downbeat tone of the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to picking up more of Stephen Booth's novels in this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frying tonight!, 2 Sept. 2013
DEREK HEATLY (BRANIEL,BELFAST, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dying to Sin (Paperback)
I must agree with some of the other reviews;the story just meanders on and on,I enjoyed his later works in this series.When is the author going to kill off the horrible Diane Fry;no matter what Ben Cooper does or says,it's always wrong or met with sarcasm.Towards the end ,she says she hasn't had sex for months -I didn't think anyone would go near this specimen in her 30 years!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dying to Sin, 22 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dying to Sin (Paperback)
Love the author, enjoy the continuity of the books and am enjoying getting to know the characters. I will have to start reading the series from the beginning now I have updated my collection!
If you love Peter Robinson's DCI Banks novels, I'm sure you'll enjoy Stephen Booth!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant., 25 Oct. 2013
"Dying to Sin" is simply brilliant. Stephen Booth is a great story-teller and he really draws the reader in. His descriptions of the Peak District provide a great backdrop to this tale which centers around secrecy and superstition in a rural community. I loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing and boring, 19 Oct. 2007
D. Cameron (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dying to Sin (Hardcover)
I have read all of the books in this series, featuring DS Fry and DC Cooper, set in the peak district. I have enjoyed all of the previous novels and looked forward to reading this one. What a disappointment. I got to page 170 and gave up.Nothing much had happened and for once I couldn't care less about the characters, or the fact that i wouldn't find out "whodunnit", The author seemed to be showing off his knowledge of the farming industry by putting lots of information about the workings of a farm, the economy, processes etc into the mouth of the equally boring DC Cooper. It didn't even seem to enhance the "plot". The relationship between DS Fry and her sister, Angela didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book - it was almost like an afterthought to give us some personal relationship stuff - clunking and lightweight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Dying to Sin (Paperback)
I am a big Stephen Booth fan and have never yet been disappointed by one of his books. I know that I can settle down and look forward to a good read, time flies and at the end I know it has been time well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Superb Mystery For The Derbyshire Detectives, 8 April 2015
Once again,Stephen Booth has written a top-class novel,featuring his marvellous creations,Derbyshire detectives,Cooper and Fry.I look forward to reading the other books in the Cooper and Fry series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Booth, 30 Nov. 2013
One of my favourite authors, set in Derbyshire where I live. Always a joy to read, get through them far too quickly, could do with being twice the size. Can't praise them enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dying to Sin, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dying to Sin (Paperback)
I enjoyed this one very much, interesting story and I love the Peak District background and descriptions having lived there for several years.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever, 8 Sept. 2009
Judith Ann Freeman (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dying to Sin (Paperback)
As always Stephen booth's "Dying to Sin" does not disappoint the reader.
The characters and storylines are well thoughtout and novel without being fanciful, in this instance migrant workers. Of the two main players, DC Ben Cooper is the plain and straight thinking young Derbyshire lad not unlike the many that live around my part of the county. DS Diane Fry is altogether more complex, needless to say she was raped earlier in her career(and what fictional WPC hasn't?)and therefore she has "issues".The two of them barely understand each other but manage to work together suprisingly well. Well worth reading as are all Booth's novels

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dying to Sin
Dying to Sin (Unknown Binding)
Out of stock