5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and read. OU set text., 15 Aug 2009
J. Baldwin "Reader" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Easy Learning Mandarin Chinese Dictionary (Collins Easy Learning Chinese) (Flexibound)
This is a comprehensive dictionary for those new to the language. I've got this one and the Oxford Beginners and in terms of looks, this is the better one (though I suspect in terms of coverage, the Oxford beats the Collins). Ultimately it's up to what you're using it for. Learning the language? Get this. Already know some and need a good dictionary? get the Oxford.

I bought this because it's one of the set texts for the Open University's new Mandarin course which I'm looking forward to starting. I already know a little Chinese and leafing through this book it was quite easy to pronounce some of the words. (Yes, I mean the Chinese ones!)

If you're doing the same course, no need to worry about my review - you need this book! Good luck :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars small print size a problem, 21 Nov 2009
The dictionary is easy to use, even for an absolute beginner like me. My only criticism is that the print size is very small and the Chinese characters are written in blue, making it a little difficult to see the details clearly. My eyesight is ok, not great, but my husband has 20/20 vision and he agrees that it isn't that clear! If you have sight problems, this may be an issue for you, so check it out before you buy if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dictionary, 28 Aug 2013
With the luxury of having been taught Mandarin[ 国语, 普通话 ] at HM's expense by native speakers some years ago, such a dictionary as this would have been an immense boon.

It is well laid out, in clear fonts, and includes countless bang-up-to-date Chinese words and expressions. The addition of the appropriate classifier (measure-word) for each noun,--- one of the more elusive aspects of the language---, is especially useful for learners. Its English-Chinese section is outstandingly comprehensive. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginners text, 17 Aug 2012
I found this book really easy to use - the layout is clear, simple to understand and, unlike some other reviewers, I had no problem with the size or colour of the characters. The choice of vocabulary is comprehensive and perfect for a complete beginner. There is some fascinating information included around the characters, making it interesting as well as informative. It has been rewarding to find that I have progressed steadily and that I am gaining confidence with speaking as well as writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic dictionary, 31 Dec 2010
this is a very well set out and easy to understand dictionary, having both pinyin and characters as well as the enlish translation makes it a great tool for learning to read or speak mandarin. however it could use some information on how to write characters i.e. stroke orders, radical meanings etc. but, being just a dictionary, i suppose this shouldnt be expected. goo book, well priced, 4/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short & Quick, 14 May 2010
I'm only a beginner, but this has done the job alright so far.

It's fairly comprehensive and I've always found everything I was looking for.

However I do agree with the previous statement about the Chinese characters being slightly hard to read because of the blue print - especially when you have to pay such fine attention to them as a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most user friendly Mandarin dictionary for students, 23 July 2013
J. E. Michie "Herschelian" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a copy of this in my flat in Beijing, and it is invaluable. Because I became fed up with schlepping it back and forth
when I came back to the UK for a month or so, I ordered a copy to use here. It was a 'used' copy - but you could have fooled me. it was like a new book. I thoroughly recommend this dictionary to anyone learning Mandarin, it is the best by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for starters, 13 May 2013
Im a beginner and find this one perfect with pinyin and guide to pronunciation. The bits about grammar are very helpful and easy to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hen hao !, 18 April 2013
F. A. Rodner (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent dictionary for starting Mandarin with the help of Pinyin. It is clearly set out and includes helpful information sections along the way. Radicals and characters are listed at the front to start us off.

4.0 out of 5 stars helps my daughter with her Chinese studies here in China, 24 Aug 2013
Nice user-friendly format, with colours and good details. My daughter uses this for first year university study of Mandarin here in China. We find it useful, rather comprehensive and are happy with the purchase. Recommended.

Easy Learning Mandarin Chinese Dictionary (Collins Easy Learning Chinese)
Easy Learning Mandarin Chinese Dictionary (Collins Easy Learning Chinese) by Collins Dictionaries (Flexibound - 6 Aug 2009)
7.58