on 12 May 2009
I began reading these books about four years ago as I was trying to encourage my son, then aged 12, to read for pleasure. He started them but only read the first couple, but that is him and no reflection on the Darren Shan vampire novels. I, however, could simply not put them down once I had started one and enjoyed them all from 'Cirque du Freak' right through to 'Sons of Destiny.' (I still get chills when I notice the initials 'RV' together somewhere on a numberplate or in an advert.)

Having been brought up in the 50's/60's on a reading diet of Enid Blyton and 'The Bunty' and 'Judy' comics and having recently read all the Harry Potter books, I am amazed at the incredibly high standard of writing there is these days for youngsters - long may that continue!

Don't hesitate to buy these for your teenager - and if they don't read them, try them yourself!

Noreen (Aged, well over 50!)
on 4 February 2008
I began reading the saga of darren shan when I was approximately 14 years old, by chance picking up the first book of the series in my school library. I am now 17 and these series of books have changed the way I look at childrens literature. The style and tempo of the books are deep, meaningful, reflective and at times extremely emotional. They tackle decisions and choices that would be impossible to make and really get the readers thinking and involved in the books. You will instantly be pulled into the life of the teenage boy and empathise with his life, I guarantee you will be unable to put any of the books down without reading as much as humanly possible. The term "unputdownable" has been bounded about a lot recently but these series of books truely are. They include a type of incredible fast paced tempo complete with humour and lovable characters which I have never come across before. Although classed as childrens books I assure you both parents have read them and enjoyed them thoroughly. I would certainly recomend each and every single book of the series to anyone with even a mild intrest in horror. Pick the set up today, you will not regret it.
on 26 January 2009
I found it hard to balance my life with reading this saga, I couldn't put it down, and with mysteries and problems always arising, the characters get more intense, loved every minute i spent reading this, one of the best adventures and character development I have ever read!
on 6 November 2008
These books are the best books I have ever read in my life. I am 14 and read 7 of these books from my library in 1 and a half months. The storyline is just incredible and you soon get to love the characters and feel sympathetic for them when they die. A brilliant buy!
on 26 May 2009
i love these books, so i brought them my self, i was under the image this was the complete saga. its not, this is only the frist half. im not sure if it tells u any were, but just a heads up. if any one knows were i get the second box. i would love to know.
on 7 January 2013
Wasn't quite as described or pictured but good service all the same, maybe next time more up to date picture?
on 7 June 2009
the stories of darren shan are compelling reading although they are teenagers books i at 63 find it hard to put them down.
on 3 August 2009
I thought the Darren shan box set was a fantastic set.
you wont now whats coming next.Full of twists and turns.
And dont mention the perfectly reasonable price.
The Darren shan 1-6 box set is a deadly box set.
Praise for darren shan.
on 2 September 2009
Very good books .

Don't read that often but as soon as i picked up the first book i could not stop till i had finished the set.

just waiting for books 7-12 now :)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2009
my grandson was delighted with these books which were a christmas present he is just 13 yrs old and it has got him into reading proper books instead of games magazines