5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Darren Shan
This book is great. It took me only a day to read this as I couldn't put it down! I enjoyed it as much as Lord Loss, Demon Thief and Bec. I wasn't that keen on Blood Beast but Demon Apocalypse was great! This book it a great continuation from the sixth book.

Published on 30 April 2008 by anime crazy

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
The book was for the school library. They enjoy the series, it is popular - hence the order of the book, needed another copy.
Published 22 months ago by Lowry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Darren Shan, 30 April 2008

This book left off from where book six ended. It all from Bec's point of view. We don't see much of Grubbs in this book. We learn a lot about Bernabus which is really interesting. The book start with Bec living with Dervish. Dervish is a broken man as Bill-E died and as Grubbs left in the middle of the night to fight the demons in the demon realms to find new information about the new evil presence that showed it self briefly at the end of book Demon apocalypse. We know that this new threat is ruling over the Demon lords. Will Bec, Kernel and Grubbs who are the Kah Gash be able to defeat this new threat?

The books start a bit slow but after the first couple of chapter you won't be able to put it down. This book is as gruesome as the rest and has a couple of twist. Be prepared to be scared!

Sakura Chu

xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing chapter in Darren Shan's epic Demonata series, 22 May 2008
L. Green "Feltano" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Barcode: 9780007260379

So, with Death's Shadow we see the return of Bec as narrator. Still coming to terms with the modern world and her own abilities, she isn't given much time to settle down before our heroes are already thrust back into danger. The pace, as always with Shan's books is slick, the countless Lost-esque mysteries playing through your mind again and again as you try and decipher what's going on. It's fascinating and you just love the series all the more for it.

Bec is a great character and there's a delightful scene between her and Meera near the beginning as she offloads her issues with Dervish neglecting her. It's testament to Shan's skill as a writer that he is able to do these touching, personal scenes as well as he does the action that forms the core of this book.

Featuring showdowns at Dervish's house and the rooftop of a hospital, Death's Shadow is all about sacrfice. I won't give away any spoilers but what i will say is that as ever with Shan's books, victory is never easy or assured and the cost of fighting is always high. I whipped through this book in a matter of days, a rollercoaster ride of thrilling action and emotions. In a word 'fantastic'!.

The dramatic conclusion of this book takes place on cruise liner out in the open ocean and as with previous book Demon Apocalypse there are some interesting parallels with Doctor Who. With Demon Apocalypse it was the episode 'Last of The Time Lords' what with its rolling back of time/negated timeline plot after the world was cast into oppresion.

In the case of Death's Shadow it's the Christmas Special Voyage of the Damned with the events taking place on a sinking ship and featuring a selfish only-really-out-for-himself character, in Shan's case taking the form of Disciple Kirilli. Two nice little touching points for fans of science-fiction and fantasy who like references between series like this.

On the whole though, what Shan once again proves is that he is a master at conveying just how epic the scale of the war with the Demonata is - it spans the globe as well as reaching back into the past for thousands of years. Which reminds me... we get some fascinating looks back into Beranabus's past in this book which only serves to make you admire his character all the more, he truly is the star of this book.

I can't wait for the next installment in the series - i've been a fan of Darren Shan right from the the beginnings of Cirque Du Freak and he's taken us fans through a twisted, frightening world of ideas. It's been fun, scary, magical, intense, but above all - completely and utterly amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another tasty morsel...just a little hard to chew, 6 May 2008
Chase M. Will (Coshocton, OH) - See all my reviews
For those of you who haven't been long-term fans of Shan or the Demonata, there are some things you should know prior to starting this book: First, when you're reading a Darren Shan book, you must remember ANYTHING is possible and absolutely NOTHING is out of bounds, even in his stories aimed primarily at teens. Second, you should never get tired of a series like the Demonata simply because--so far--the story's been pretty flimsy; those who've read Cirque du Freak know that with patience in his structure comes surprising satisfaction in the end result, and the Demonata series is no different. The action truly BEGINS in this book, and what you make of his direction is entirely up to you, but I think the plot he introduces in this seventh volume is unbelievably original, even for the likes of him, and I think you'll be as shocked as I am nobody's ever done it before.
Before starting this book I thought I'd predicted everything that was going to happen based on the cover image as well as supporting evidence involving Shan's style.
But let me reitterate: When it comes to the work of Darren Shan: ANYTHING. IS. POSSIBLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...just...WOW!, 1 Dec 2008
Mark Barford - See all my reviews
Well, I've read every previous Demonata book in a day each, and the Cirque De Freak ones, 3 a day because they were much shorter. As you may have guessed, I'm a Darren Shan Nut xD
This book follows effortlessly on from Deamon Apocalypse, which I absolutley loved. It centres on Bec, now living with Dervish in Carcery Vale.
You really feel for Bec as she struggles to adapt to her new life, and you really feel excited adn nervous when they are attacked, firmly planting the seeds for the sequal (which I've yet to read).
The story goes from Strength to strength, with a plot so obvious I'm shocked no-ones done it before.
And the backstory of Beranabus is amazing, gripping and I personally felt he should have his own book!

BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Death's Shadow by Darren Shan, 13 Feb 2009
This review is from: Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7) (Paperback)
Bec has returned to our world centuries after her time. Surrounded by new and strange technology, windows are even odd, she has already been plunged in the deep end. Being looked after by a hostile distant relative and having a strange ablity to take peoples memories when she touches them doesnt help in the equation. Things only get worse when she realizes that something else has come into our world with her. Lord loss is no longer the greatest threat to humanity.
This book has twisting storylines which keep you reading late into the night. You will be thinking about it for hours after the last page is turned. This is another great book in the 'Demonata' series and I can't wait for the next

5.0 out of 5 stars Darren Shan amazes again, 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7) (Paperback)
Another great book by Darren Shan. Read it to be taken on a great journey and learn how Grubbs deals with even more shocking secrets and find out who Beranabus REALLY is!
It's an easy read - no complicated words so young children can read it with no problems. It's action packed and full of surprises and unexpected twists. It keeps with the main story and follows on nicely - the surprises and twists are exactly what you don't expect - a must have in any teen horror books. The pace is quick but not too fast so you can keep up with what's happening without the need to re-read any parts [until you get to the end; you'll want to read it over and over again].

4.0 out of 5 stars still good, 1 April 2010
This review is from: Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7) (Paperback)
Although I don't think this one was quite as good as the previous books, it's another good filler book, keeping you up to date with what is going on. I feel not much actually happened in this book, and I kept forgetting it was from Bec's point of view, and thinking it was Grubb's (who isn't really in this book).

Otherwise, this was a great book. Some interesting stuff happens here, old characters return, a new character surfaces. Here we can really see the storyline starting to lead up to the finale, and getting really interesting and suspensful! Well worth a read, especially if you've read the others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Mar 2009
marky77 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7) (Paperback)
I wasn't looking forward to this book as much as I had been to the other books in the series but I didn't really enjoy Bec as I dont like her as much as Grubbs and Kernel and found. However, I was wrong about this book, it is great!

The action and suspence is as strong as ever and the book goes along at a furious pace that makes it addictive and always leaving you wanting to read more.

This book revolves around Bec and Dervish and Grubbs has gone away in search of a cure for the werewolf curse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darren Shan rocks!, 11 July 2009
J. B. Connor "Fortress" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7) (Paperback)
If you haven't read Darren Shan and you are a horror fan, you are missing out big time! My son (14) introduced me to Darren Shan when he was reading the Vampire series ("The Saga of Darren Shan") - so I have now read all 12 of those, and we have moved on to the Demonata. Eagerly awaiting book 10 - it's been pre-ordered, and I know we will fight over who reads it first when that one arrives . . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars hmmm..., 30 Dec 2009
G. Lawson "Winter" (NW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7) (Paperback)
I wouldn't say this is the best in the series but it is a pretty good one by which I mean its better than Blood Beast by a long way. In this book you finally see who the big bad guy is and what can be done about it. One of the not so good books of the series it is still worth the read especially if you have been following the twists so far

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7)
Death's Shadow (The Demonata, Book 7) by Darren Shan (Paperback - 27 Mar 2014)