4.0 out of 5 stars A good read if you are business minded!
I like most had read the first book 'humble pie' which is the story of the man himself and was a fascinating read.
This second book 'playing with fire' is a book about his buisness ventures. ie. How he set up his restaurants, got the finance, expanded his empire and all the buisness dealings. I really enjoyed this book as the business side of things really interested...
Published on 12 Nov 2007 by Dr. Richard J. Pickard

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a story of the success of his restaurants
I admit it, I'm a HUGE Gordon Ramsay fan. I've watched a lot of his Channel 4 series and am a fan of Masterchef, Hell's Kitchen etc. I had to get this book as I had bought (and loved) his first book.
Overall, I did really enjoy the book, it gave me a good idea as to how his restaurants and company is run, but that was about it. There wasn't much of a personal story,...
Published 13 months ago by Michael Graham

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gordon Ramsay's Playing with Fire, 3 Nov 2007
Stephen Butcher (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A great fan of his restaurants, his tv shows and business achievements, I couldn't believe my luck whilst waiting to fly out on holiday, to find his latest book, Humble Pie was excellent but this book topped it in my opinion.

Fast paced, extremely revealing and appearing outwardly honest this book gives a real incite to the man and his seemingly unstoppable ambition to be the very best at all he does.

Raced through it in a day, just couldn't put it down, an inspiring read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by Viki, 31 Oct 2007
V. Ballinger "Remy booker" (France) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers, I too had read Humble Pie, and thought it was superb. I couldn't put it down. However I found it hard to keep on ploughing through "Playing wth Fire" although I'd bought this one as a consequence of enjoying the other book so much. This, his latest release, is totally different in style and format. I didn't even see much fire, rather a damp offering and I frankly wondered who had written it - it didn't sound like Ramsay at all apart from the odd f.. word which felt as if it had been thrown in as a last thought just to remind us of whose name was on the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information, 17 Feb 2008
This could be any business. I am at the moment going through all sorts of emotions in buisness. One day things are up, one day things are down. It is good to read something which you can relate to.
Gordon writes about restaurants but it could be any type of business.
Before i got the book i didn't like Gordon Ramsey, don't know why? Just didn't.
After the book i admire Gordon, Good luck to you Gordon! I wish you all the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, fantastic, enjoyable read, 10 Nov 2007
H. Clinton (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Every time I mention that the fact that I admire "Gordon Ramsay" I have to defend myself from attack. For those who have seen this ex-football player in the television show "Hell's Kitchen", he can be intimidating, ruthlessly efficient and sarcastic all in one breath. But his attitude does not come from any joy of berating contestants. Gordon is a perfectionist and he wants to make sure everything is done right because it is his name and reputation that is on the line every time a dish leaves his kitchen. This book is no different. Ramsay's passions and humor translate well onto the page...also sheds a completely different light on his life. I can't put it down.
Also recommended, the book Understanding: Train of Thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read!, 29 Oct 2007
If you enjoy his shows then I am sure you will enjoy this. A great insight to the man and the business.

I had not read Humble Pie prior to Playing with Fire, however after reading this book I obtained Humble Pie and raced through this also - another great read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading., 21 May 2008
Having just read Marco Pierre White's superb autobiography (Devil in the Kitchen)I thought it would be interesting to read GR's as a cross reference. The piece on the back was misleading. It inferred that this was a book that had soul/intimacy and insight. How far from the truth that is! GR seems to sneer at others whilst boasting at length and bigging himself up. He tries to come across as an everyman, for eg, he talks about leaving Aubergine and going for an interview taking his 'one suit from my sparse warddrobe' then goes on to say that at the time he was earning 75000... As a nurse on less than half than that it was irritating.
His anaolgy for common sense, using NASA's huge spend on finding a biro that worked in space whilst the Russians used a pencil is badly researched as that is a common urban myth. Pencils lead could break off in space and cause damage to delicate machinery. (Stephen Fry...)
The book describes basically the MacDonaldisation of 'Haute Cuisine' and GR makes it very clear that money is his God. Nowhere does a love of food come through, it's all about greed and being the biggest. He doesn't come across as someone who likes his customers, rather he manipulates them in order to make maximum profit. I will never eat in one of his restaurants as it is unpleasant to feel that all you are is a cash cow.
He sneers at Marco Pierre White very early on in the book, whilst in Marco's book he is gracious and gives Gordon his due as well as explaining why they fell out.
The difference between the two chefs from council houses is that Marco loves food and clearly has grace, humility and class, whilst Gordon comes across as a boastful, greedy, envious, materialistic, insecure man with no class or understanding of what's really important. His success is clearly due to the fact that he can jump on any band wagon and format it. I actually quite liked him before I read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering, 24 Dec 2007
Unlike most other reviewers, I have not previously read Humble Pie.
That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the insight into the business end of restaurant ownership and was totally absorbed.
Prior to reading this I could pretty much take or leave Mr Ramsay. However I was pleasantly surprised by his humility and his sense of loyalty to his staff and peers which judging by the longevity of his staff's tenure appears to be reciprocated. I think there are many good lessons within to pick up on in running any type of business and as the good man eluded to on many occasions throughout the book - your most important asset is your staff and if you look after them properly, they will do the business for you.
Cannot wait until his next offering.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gordon Ramsay's Playing with Fire
Gordon Ramsay's Playing with Fire by Gordon Ramsay (Paperback - 5 May 2008)
5.76