5.0 out of 5 stars The Best
Over the years I've had several bibles. However this Collins version is the best. It's all there, plain and simple. The pages aren't divided with cryptic notes. This is the one for me
Published on 20 Sept. 2011 by Jimser10

3.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find table of contents
I have the kindle version and have tried all avenues to find the table of contents. This is why only three stars.
Published 23 months ago by Peggy Lynette McKeown

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 20 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) (Bible Kjv) (Leather Bound)

5.0 out of 5 stars Illustrated Bible: King James Version, 22 Aug. 2011
An excellent buy at a good price. Good quality bible,decent sized print makes it easily readable, with nice illustrations. Would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a Best Buy, 20 July 2012
bookwormsu "thrifty" (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Illustrated Bible: King James Version (KJV), illustrated with 400 years of Biblical art (Bible Kjv)

This is a must -have item for any household concerned with spiritual life as well as material possessions. This is fantastic value. The book comes in a slip case which is sturdy, and has an illustration on. The actual book is plain cloth bound (the picture that Amazon gives is of the book inside its slipcase which is why you see the illustration) The text is clear, and uncluttered with all those notes King James' bibles have, which impede reading. An an OAP who wears glasses for reading the text looks fine.There is a little bit of see through but hopefully I will get used to that. The version is the traditional King James which I was brought up with. There are italics to denote words the translators inserted (in 1611) to make the sense easier. The original printing of the Authorized Version used roman type to distinguish text supplied by translators, or thought needful for English grammar but not present in the Greek or Hebrew. In the first printing, the device of having different type faces to show supplied words was used sparsely and inconsistently. This is perhaps the most significant difference between the original text and the current text. When, from the later 17th century onwards, the Authorized Version began to be printed in roman type, the typeface for supplied words was changed to italics.

To me it is historically accurate as it is the one used from late 17th century until about 1970, well now really.I bought it to replace a broken backed and yellowing Family Bible bought in 1890 ish by my great grandparents. I am sorry to throw it away, but I have cut out all the entries, over three generations (four including me) and will paste them in this new book. I hope God will forgive me, we live in a practical world.

There is no mention of 400 years inside the book, but there is on the back of the slipcase. So this is a lovely thing to buy to celebrate the 400th anniversary. It is also very good price, this item has a list price of £40.

The pictures are gorgeous, and they tell you what each picture is as well. Most people in 1611 were illiterate which is why the Bible was appointed to be read in churches. They gained a lot of their knowledge from pictures. There is a little bit of see through on the paper. I find if I put a blank bit of A4 paper behind the page it helps. Now books are being printed in China we are getting this not-so-good thich papaer, although it feels a nice quality. I have looked at several bibles and I still think this one is lovely.

This book is published by Collins who have a licence from H M the Queen. Strongly recommended.

O

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and nicely presented, 5 Feb. 2009
The Collins KJV is pretty much the standard KJV you can purchase in any high street bookstore and is copyright of the Crown unlike non-UK editions. The quality of the books seems very good, gold gilt edging, soft black leather and about the size of a standard paper back novel(Leather tends to be graded from Bonded, to Morroco and Calf skin with Goat skin being regarded as the best). One feature I did really like about this Collins edition is the simplicity of it, no annoying middle page cross references or footnotes or glossary of bible terms just the straightforward text of the scriptures. There is a couple of maps of the middle east at the back of the book and one or two pages at the front for marriages, births, deaths which seem unnecessary in my opinion. It was also nice to see the original dedication to the king page prior to the main text. Amazing to think in two years time the KJV will celebrate its 400th birthday. I certainly don't consider myself a KJV purist however it is certainly my preferred version. I enjoy the poetic old style English language, which almost adds to the authority although I have no idea why? I grew up reading the KJV during my Sunday school lessons with the Plymouth Brethren back in the 1970's and my COE days in the early 80's so I guess I lean more towards this translation than some of the modern transliterations. I think this edition is suitable to any one who would like to read it regardless of beliefs.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TRUE BIBLE, 13 Mar. 2009
John M. Slusser II (Nantwhich, England) - See all my reviews
I am WELL PLEASED with my Collins Authorised King James Bible. I have both read and studied other so-called versions, but this is THE one. And Collins is THE company to get from. Zondervan tampers with the Word of God, Collins keeps it EXACTLY as was translated first by Tyndale and later by those who completed the work. It is refreshing, yes - refreshing, to read the King James, and it has been beautifully done up by Collins. I carry it to meeting now, and am so pleased I made this purchase. Thank you Collins, and thank you Amazon - it was the only way I found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 6 Aug. 2012
beautiful bible, great illustrations fantastic buy, very happy with bible plus price. worth every penny really happy came in box too.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 11 May 2012
this was a good buy, it came on time and i was impressed with the leather cover an book mark which comes in handy,thumbs up from me

3.0 out of 5 stars Cannot find table of contents, 24 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic edition, 13 Dec. 2014
I will try and make this review 'non religious'. Why? Because I think the Holy Bible is incredible reading matter whatever your religious convictions or lack of them.

Anyway, this is a fabulous edition. There are millions of Bibles around and dozens of different translations and paraphrases but if you want something portable (but not pocket-sized) with readable text and no added commentaries or bits and pieces this is the best.

The pages are made from thin 'Bible paper', which keeps the size down. The pages are edged in gold leaf while the cover is dark leather. There's an attractive slip case too. If you are buying a Bible because you are a believer or seeker, feel a need for a copy of the Holy Bible on your bookshelf for reference, or simply want to own an important book that has greatly influenced the English-speaking world from an academic standpoint, the plain yet pretty way this edition is presented is wonderful. It looks very much like what most people would imagine a 'Holy Bible' should look like - I certainly like Bibles that look, well, Bible-y.

The KJV is by far the best version - even if you are not religious and have never read a Bible before you will see how so many common phrases and idioms in the English language are drawn from this particular translation. It frequently sounds utterly majestic, which is why, I imagine, it still holds its own among all the other versions. The 400 year old English is rarely hard to understand compared to modern translations, even if you've never read literature of this vintage before.

For £20 RRP (or whatever lower price it is on Amazon at the moment) it's an absolute bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Year of Study - Thoughts on an e-version (not Kindle), 4 Mar. 2015
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
2.5 stars

Let's be honest. If you're reading this, you're probably thinking: three stars? Got to be an atheist writing a 'clever' review on how the Bible characters are two-dimensional, there's no gunfight, continuity errors are rife and the hero gets killed off partway.

I don't want to take that route. Yes, I'm an atheist. And no, my personal beliefs haven't changed since reading this book. But I'm going to try and give an honest account of my reading and feelings without attempting to insult or offend. Of course, I fully expect some of my words to do just that, but it's not what I set out to do.

So why would an atheist spend one year, as I have done, reading the Bible, a book I believe holds no truth about our origins or morality? 15 months ago, a knock on the door - and I spent a couple of hours chatting (and debating) with the local Jehovah's Witnesses. Their lack of understanding of science and their dogged determination to convert with a few verses spurred me on to do something I've mulled over for years, since school really - read the Bible and then I can SAY to doorstep callers that I've read their literature in full and remain unconvinced. And I must admit, it did intrigue me. Never having read it - what really WAS inside this book? I knew all the Bible stories they teach in school, the accounts of Jesus. But I've never seen Revelations or much of the Old Testament. So I sourced a website where I could read a few chapters a day, of my preferred version, and finish in 365 days. With a few missed and caught-up days, I followed this, and have now read the King James Bible (I decided to go, not with the oldest version, as I would have liked, but the most popular but still not-too-modern version).

I don't want to go into chapter and verse and talk about interpretation and meaning, this isn't the format for that. But I will say I was surprised by various aspects of the book that has historically converted millions, caused bloodshed and inspired masterpieces.

Firstly - it's not a fun read. Some mornings I would have to force myself to read that day's chapters. Verse after verse of begetting, or on how to build an ark or a temple. I really enjoyed finally seeing the non-child-friendly versions of the famous stories, such as Noah and Moses. Eye-opening in the detail that gets missed out in schools.

There were some lines of great beauty, poetry, but actually not as many as I'd been expecting, and definitely more startling references to bodily functions than I would have thought. A lot of sexual talk as well, with rape common.

But that was definitely more towards the Old Testament. And here I was surprised as well - the New Testament is only a third or less of the whole book. I had the impression that stories of Jesus would take up much more space than they do in reality. And of course, many of these are repeated, as the four gospels retell (with variation) the same stories of birth, miracles and crucifixion four times. For me, the book can't win here - if all the accounts tally then why are they all here? (This is rhetorical, please don't feel you need to answer), and if they don't tally, then why are they different anyway?

The Devil was far less present than I'd been led to believe. He's mentioned, but God himself does a lot of killing, and the Devil only seems to be of minor importance for most of the book. Hell features fairly strongly in Revelations, but from the films and books we've all seen, the descriptions we know don't all seem to come from the Bible. As the afterlife is such a huge part of the religion, and Heaven and Hell aren't very well described, I was puzzled somewhat.

The morality of the Bible really, really didn't appeal to me either. The rules and Commandments, some are good sense, others seem archaic to my modern mind, and the concept of both 'sin' and 'worship', I'm afraid are both abhorrent. Even the Jews in the Old Testament manage to a dozen times or more fall back on bad ways and become enslaved as punishment for not worshipping the God they've witnessed and spoken with, again and again they need correcting.

As I read, I made comments and made note of quotes on Goodreads, amounting to somewhere in the region of 500 notes (some seem now to have been subsumed by the sheer amount of them), and I don't want to rehash specifics.

I did find that as I read, other books I was reading were then placed in a different light. One in particular - The Book of Strange New Things, by Michael Faber (which I gave 5 stars to, incidentally) concerns a born-again Christian, a preacher, who goes off to a distant planet to spread the Word to an alien race about the Good News of Jesus. Reading the Bible while I read this novel brought it home to me, the smallness of our planet and culture, and the insignificance of it to another race on another planet. The irrelevance of fish, flocks and crosses to a desert-living alien race who had no idea what these things were made me think of the narrowness of (every) religion, how out in other galaxies - would stories of Middle East men mean that much?

To summarise a year's worth of reading and thoughts in a review is no easy thing to do, and I'm sure there are many points I'd want to raise but have forgotten completely. And some I've described in a haphazard way. If you're got this far, well done!

This was a task I set myself that nobody (my husband, parents, colleagues) seemed to think I would complete, and at times I did wonder myself. It has inspired countless conversations at work, at home and in my own head. I am glad I have read this book, and while I do take something from my year, I remain perplexed that my interpretation and feelings about the contents can differ so markedly from people who base their worldview on it.

A believer told me that reading the Bible won't make you a Christian. I know anecdotally that there will be contradictions to this, but on the whole I agree. I was raised by strong-minded atheists to think like an atheist. Usually the pattern goes that parents will indoctrinate their children into their worldview and religion and on the whole, children will grow up holding those beliefs. Books like the Bible serve to reinforce a set of beliefs. Looking at it from outside the religion does give a completely different take on the stories and message from one already firmly entrenched in the religion.

I'm just as confidently non-religious as I was 366 days ago, but glad I've given time in my life to a book that, true or not, has had an undeniable effect on the planet for two millennia, historically and culturally. It's one that I won't be re-reading, but I am happy I took the time each day to try to expand my own knowledge of the world and the people in it.

Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) (Bible Kjv)
Holy Bible: King James Version (KJV) (Bible Kjv) by Collins (Leather Bound - 3 Mar. 2011)