5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the cover...
Published on 8 July 2008 by adh

2.0 out of 5 stars flawed but good for foodies
Published on 3 Oct. 2009 by Enquirer

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the cover..., 8 July 2008
adh (Stonehaven, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
As a Scot, living in Scotland, this is the one guide book that I refer to again and again. When holidaying in Scotland, we plan whole days around this book. We'll plan a scenic route to see a waterfall or a good walk with the dog. We'll work out what eaterie we're going to have lunch in, and invariably, we'll be staying in a hotel, B&B or guest house recommended by this guide and have a pint in one of its suggested pubs.

The thing I like most about this guide is that it's not neccessarily "Scotland The Most Expensive". It has everything from "Best Fish and Chip Shops" through to top michelin starred restaurants. All this via "Best Waterfalls", "Best Woodland Walks", "Best Scenic Drives" etc. etc.

Once you get into the way this book works (persevere - you will get used to its indexing), it becomes indispensible.

Don't visit Scotland without a copy in your bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect guide for a perfect holiday in Scotland, 30 Sept. 2009
S. Desmond - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
My response to the reviewer who said that this book only works if you live in Scotland is simple: I disagree. I am based in the Midlands of England and really found this guide invaluable to a great holiday.

Scotland the Best stands head and shoulders above its rival publications. Unlike the others, it does not simply state go here and see this, and go there and see that. If you are looking for a region by region guide, look elsewhere - or get both, but do not travel to Scotland on holiday without this book!

Peter Irvine's fantastic work is in a class of its own because he informs you of the places that he regards as best in each category. From my recent two-week trip to Scotland, I can confirm that most of his recommendations were highly credible. For instance, I visited some of the places that appeared under the headings "Famously Big Attractions" and "Other Unmissables", "Main Attractions" in Edinburgh, "Fantastic Beaches", "The Great Glens", "The Most Spectacular Waterfalls", "The Lochs We Love", "The Scenic Routes", and "The Best Castles". I was rarely disappointed with the recommendations. In fact, some of them were fantastic, such as the 4 top-rated glens, the 2 best-regarded lochs, 4 of the best scenic routes and 3 of the best castles.

There is much more in the book, such as places to eat and their price ranges, best places to stay, etc. Simply essential!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gems of Scotland, 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
Agree with some reviews on this page that it is not easy to get into. True. But the moment you treat the guide as a book and start reading you would understand the logic and then there is no stopping you looking for the references indicated. We used Scotland The Best for preparation of our trip and I must say the places we stayed in and dined were exceptional. It is a shame we had only 5 days in Scotland, but I am sure we would be back with the same author. Have heard that the new revision is out soon, but for 2009-2010 this one is still very much up to date.

2.0 out of 5 stars flawed but good for foodies, 3 Oct. 2009
Enquirer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
As has already been pointed out this guide is not really regionalised. It jumps all over the place in a most irritating fashion. It does contain jewels of 'insider' information - but here's the rub - you either have to know the attraction already exists in order to look it up OR you have to search the whole blasted thing! The hotel and food reviews are excellent. Again, great for checking on the place you have already booked, but only worthwhile for pre-booking if Peter Irvine regards the that area of Scotland worth a list.

If you accept that there is no attempt to be comprehensive(I might be a bit cross if I was involved in Mull tourism, for instance) or to be objective, this 'guide' may guide you. If you are a local, who likes what Irvine likes, you may get quite a lot from it. If you are a visitor to Scotland, even a regular one, I counsel caution. I won my copy at a wine tasting. I would never buy a copy.

Since the emphasis is on 'the Best', little of the 'reality' of modern Scotland is included. This guide is a set of reviews not an assistance to your journey. You will have to discover form othes sources as a visitor how awful public transport is, how awful most towns are, most food is, most hotels are, most weather is. A midge and rain rating for each area would be a great help. I use my old climbing guide for this (Hamish McInnes - Scottish Selected Climbs, Constable). If there was an urban car theft rating was added, then we would really be able to make informed decisions!

Oh yes - finally - in my opinion, Scotland the Best actually does contain almost every single place worth eating at in the whole country.

2.0 out of 5 stars It probably works when you live in Scotland, 16 Feb. 2009
B. Van Den Hoek "Berbera" (Den Haag Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
We don't live in the UK and purchased this book because we are planning a holiday in Scotland. We will travel most of the time by public transport. In this situation the book is not really helpfull because everything is listed in alphabetical order and not by region. To use book you have to have an idea about the topography of and distances and directions in Scotland.

We will travel by train from Edinburgh to Inverness and spend a few days in between. To get information what is the best town to get of the train and what to expect the book is useless. There is no information about public transport at all in the book so it is impossible to find out the train stations in between of these towns. And if you found a place to get of the train it is impossible to find out how far the stated 'best' hotels, restaurants, walks, etc are from town centres and how to get there. This book probably works if you are familiar with Scotland and travel by car and a very detailed roadmap or TomTom.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Scotland the Best', simply the best, 12 May 2009
E. Ong (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland the Best (Paperback)
We have bought every edition of this Scotland the Best since we came to Scotland many years ago. It is simply the best'est' guide we have ever come across.

Scotland the Best
Scotland the Best by Peter Irvine (Paperback - 3 Dec. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01