5.0 out of 5 stars I actually grieved heavily for the people in this book
This is a fable of modern india played out through the lives of the central family - an india that is crippled by outer, inner and secret burdens: caste/social control, duty/tradition, and the essential heartbreaking element of this novel: taboo. The plot is impossible to delineate and is executed so adroitly and delicately that rather than just being told the story...
Published on 8 Jan 2010 by arthazaed

2.0 out of 5 stars Unengaging and Overly Clever
Being an Indian literature fan I really felt I had to make an effort with this book. I don't think the style of writing is for everybody, I was irritated by Rushdiesque attempts at clever use of language, and even on the third attempt I was still not interested in who the characters were or what had happened to them. I found I was putting it down for longer and longer...
Published 17 months ago by J. G. Cheseldine

‹ Previous | 126 27 28 29 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't finish the book, 16 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I found this book very difficult to read. I had brought it with me on vacation and had to stop after 100 pages because I was so bored. I could not keep track of all the characters and got tired of looking at the beginning of the book to figure out who was who. In addition, her style of writing just did not appeal to me. I had heard such great things about this book, but unfortunately I was just not able to enjoy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful and Boring, 3 May 2000
I am sorry, I tried hard, I really did. I forced myself to read over 100 pages, and wanted to get into it, but the truth is that it was just dull and boring. As soon as I got permission to give up, I turned to Allende's 'House of Spirits' which has just blown me away with its magic and plot. I could find nothing entrancing, however, in this book, although there were a few nice touches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Bliss, 12 April 2000
By A Customer
It took me a little bit of time to get into this book but once I had gone through that stage I totally immersed myself into it... I think it was one of the first times that I was aware of the beauty of the litterary style as well as totally involved in the plot. I adore this book, I haven't forgotten any of it. Somehow it has changed my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 3 Sep 2000
The God of Small Things is as close to perfection as I have ever read in a book. Still I remember reading and rereading passages and literally tasting the words. Seeing the imagery so clearly in my minds eye that it played like a movie. Reading each page more slowly so I could make it last longer. Magic !

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful slow read!, 16 Feb 2011
J. Khan - See all my reviews
I found this book a lot of hard work. It's such a slow read I didnt find myself looking forward to picking it up. Roy tries to make this a cleaver spiritually enlightening book, but his plot is simply not thick enough to pull this off. It's a book full of under developed stereotypical characters, heaps and heaps of ott and unnecessary descriptions, with a bit of sex thrown in here and there. A waste of my time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ten till 2, 3 April 2000
By A Customer
This book has been the hardest read of my life. I was forced to read it by my Lit teacher (thanks FRED!) I feel her use of words is too grand. It's almost as if she's trying to show off her vocabulary. There are too many indian words and even some british that american's unless immersed in british culture will not understand. I dont think you have to fill up pages with big words in order to have a good story line. It's a decent read if you've got nothing else to do but expand your vocab.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated!, 7 May 2006
CM Chambers (Flitwick) - See all my reviews
I was told that this was one of the best books ever. Well, it's not. It's not totally bad, the book does have some redeeming points. But I personally found that it did not live up to the hype.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plot Device Backfires, Leading to Lack of Narrative Tension, 29 Aug 2004
For me, reading this book was a struggle between my irritation with the 'writerly' smugness of the prose (fuelled by some personal prejudices about young women writers, especially when they're beautiful!), and a determination to give this Booker Prize-winning novel a fair chance by at least finishing it.
But what I found to be a much more serious flaw, was the placing of the central events of the narrative much too close to the end. I longed for the narrative to pick up around the 100-page mark, so that I could run with it, follow the story and its consequences, and their effects on the characters. Instead, we are teased regularly and often, throughout the novel, about 'the terror' that is to come; teased to the point of apathy. By the time the central event of the plot is finally revealed, the reader no longer cares too much about the detail of it; I was more concerned with whether I had guessed it right; and anyway, the consequences of this part of the story have already been given away, leading to a disappointing lack of narrative tension.
It's all back-to-front; a wasted opportunity; falls well short of being a ripping yarn.
PS. What a lot of your reviewers can't spell "grammar"!

1.0 out of 5 stars Get it from the library, 20 Sep 2009
A really special book. The worst book I have ever read. The previous worse book was The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings (67 Amazon Ratings of 1 star) which I gave up on after 400 pages.

Even worse, The God of Small Things, is a very bad copy of Jacob's Room by Virginia Wolff (which is actually the third worse book I have ever read). So if you like The God of Small Things or you're a sadist then try reading these other terrible books. Wolff does it so much better.

I only got as far as page 50. Boy, I am I glad I got it from the library and didn't waste cash on it.

The thing that really puzzles me, is that good authors have a tough time trying to get published and on the other hand a poor book wins the Booker Prize.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE OR HATE: IT'S THE ESSENCE OF INDIA!, 19 May 2000
By A Customer
A captivating & evocative novel playing on the reality of childhood in India, combined with the fantasies (or realities?) children become inextricably linked with. Captures the bombardment on the senses that is part of everyday Indian life... & conjures up the annomalies that are a matter of course. A superb novel, totally engrossing.

‹ Previous | 126 27 28 29 | Next ›

The God of Small Things
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (Audio CD - 15 Sep 2008)