5.0 out of 5 stars Review # 61
With 60 other reviews here, I doubt anyone will wade through them to read this, but if you have, then it's appreciated.
Why I took the time to write this is because the 'Slash' is one of the best rock 'n' roll books you will ever read. And if you've got a 'must-read' list of books for your life, then this one should be added.
And it's not one of those large type...
Published on 27 May 2010 by Alan Burridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Delivers the vicarious thrills but where's the man behind the hat?
Slash, ghost-written by Rolling Stone staff writer Anthony Bozza, promises us two things: the inside track on one of the defining rock bands of their era, whilst simultaneously tempting us with vicarious drug thrills. It delivers on both counts but does so in such a bland way that I kept thinking while reading this, "Am I missing something?"

Yes, Slash gives...
Published 22 months ago by Mr. Tristan Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Review # 61, 27 May 2010
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
And it's not one of those large type 'quick-reads,' this type is quite small but comfortable on the eye nevertheless, and will give you your money's worth.
As others have mentioned, Slash is brutally honest with his story, and this is commendable, even though he's lucky to have survived the perils of heroin and booze addiction.
No one is ever truly clean of any addiction, it niggles away from time to time year's later, but I hope Perla, London, and Cash keep Slash on the right track; he's got a good few years, and albums in him yet; and the grandaddy years will suit him.

4.0 out of 5 stars How is this man still alive?, 13 Jan 2011
Mr. K. J. Santi (South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Being a big G'n'R fan, the autobiography of Slash was a book I could not miss.

It is an engrossing book which does not gloss over or skimp on any area of his life. He covers the good stuff and bad stuff in equal measure, uses superb anecdotes to give you a picture of the man and frequently states his honest opinions for the benefit of the reader. Considering the sheer quantity of alcohol and drugs he has consumed, I am amazed that he is still alive and playing.

However, after finishing the book, I found myself unable to decide what I thought about Slash. There were too many contradictions and double standards in his life which I found hard to swallow. Most of these revolve around his criticism of others who have various addiction problems and their percieved lack of professionalism. If anyone put in less than 100% effort at a gig or in the recording studio, Slash is very critical of them. Yet he himself is guilty of some of the worst excesses and worst behaviour, he goes to great lengths to justify and assure us that he never compromised the band.

His comments about Axl and the demise of GnR are probably the bits most people will want to read. Suffice to say he gives a fairly frank view of this and you can't help but agree with him on most of it. Much of what said paints Axl in a bad light and you wonder how the band held together as long as it did. I hope one day Axl explains his side of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into a more complex being than you may imagine!, 27 Jun 2014
I've been a fan of Slash ever since i was a kid and saw him on the video for November Rain. I remember this being one of my first introductions to the guitar as an instrument rather than the background of a song, as well as my first insight into rock music. I was astounded! It gave me goosebumps, what this strange hairy man in a top hat could do with six strings and ever since that day i have been a fan. This book allows you to get inside the head of a genuine rock God and discover that he is human too. An honest account of the bad and good side of Slash's life an career from childhood to Velvet Revolver you see a man who changes and develops while still staying true to who he is and what he loves. Slash comes across as extremely hard-working, dedicated and humble even when he was doped to the eyes on heroin or playing to 180,000 screaming fans and it's this quality that actually makes who he is and what he has accomplished all the more admirable. Well written, without exaggeration for effect and 'reviews/ratings' this book captured my interest from the first page to the last and if possible made me a bigger fan than when my little ears first heard that guitar solo all those years ago. Thoroughly recommended for fans of Slash, GN'R or rock music in general!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowza!, 7 Jan 2009
H. Yip "Tamagotchi Assassin" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I had to physically fight myself to put the book down to go to work, even though I would have happily sat on the London tube reading until I was finished!

I've always appreciated what a legend Slash is and was quite partial to a bit of 'Sweet Child', but having grown up mostly in the 90s, I never had the privilege of experiencing the rock n roll era and really knowing much about it. I've always just listened to whatever my friends were into and until I read this book I never really took the time to appreciate music for what it is. I consider my younger days to be musically deprived! Now when I listen to music, I really LISTEN.

In this book, Slash's story is objective and brutally honest without being slightly arrogant or dramatic. You can imagine it to be completely sensationalised, but the fact is, Slash tells it how it is and was, doesn't try to impress and takes on full responsibility for his actions. It is most definitely excessive but ultimately believable by the fact that you can almost hear his voice when you read.

This is possibly one of the best books I've ever read and would recommend this to anyone who can read!
Be warned though, I've been obsessed with Slash and GnR ever since. And I've had to obtain all their albums, a load of Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Aerosmith and any other 70s-80s rock I could get my hands on!

N.B. NOT recommended if you have a boyfriend who gets jealous easily... :-/

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down!, 1 Feb 2009
A. Zaremba (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Having just finished this book I cannot recommend it highly enough! A must for any Guns N' Roses fan. Obviously the story telling is all from Slash's perspective but it is interesting to read his (really quite eloquent) thoughts and feelings about the various goings on at the band. It's disappointing that Axl hasn't released a similar book so you can get the other side of the story and then you know the truth of the matter is somewhere in the middle! Slash's addictions and experiences make for interesting reading and no matter how much an @r$e Axl may be, it can't have been easy being in a band with hard core junkies and alcoholics. That said, buy this book - you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly captivating story, 8 May 2009
Malinova "caramela_23" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
The most entertaining, truly interesting story I've read in a long time.

Slash is funny, captivating, eloquent and yet still very true to himself throughout this story.

I thoroughly recommend it - you won't put it down until you've heard every last word of what he has to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be better..., 1 Mar 2010
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
It is not neccessary by any means to go into every subject, Slash goes trough his life with amazing memories recollection and overtaking every topic from birth in the most intelligent way as a conversation that couldn't be more sincere, interesting and straight, neither he tries to look like an Angel, not a victim of circumstances not a person who shows off their excesses by the opposite as his playing everything is right at the right moment with a very intelligent talking that underlines and focus in to the core of every issue to fully understand the why and when and how.

I read certain critics about the "literate style", very unfair, I think his style is absolutely great and the only problem you will have is to stop reading it, this is what I wait from a Biography, the feeling of sitting down having a beer and nothing or nobody could be closer to that in a reading than Slash in this book, the very last thing I would want is somebody elaborating and performing lyrical stuff when is about the substance and the story itself.

The book is great as a social study, as a destiny- karma awakening and also as a document of 3 decades of music yet fun and easy to go trough where the circles on it takes you to think unavoidably that there was a "superior" hand for him not only to survive but to succeed and still get invaluable personal satisfactions in the mean time like when he came back to present a Guns and Roses CD where he was caught stealing and the where he worked years later as only one of the many examples.

Also you get countless data of encounters with different people and bands of the Rock Scene of the 90s as a big Plus.

It worth every penny and do not hesitate one second to have this amazing sincere in your face Biography of one of the most interesting characters of our time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Account of a larger-than-life rock star, 27 Sep 2008
Captain EO "No. 7" (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I picked this book up safe in the knowledge that it was bound to be an eye-opening story of one of the most popular guitarists of the last generation or two. Whether or not I'd find it all that enjoyable was debatable but I'm pleased to say that I flew through it's pages as quickly as Slash etches out a guitar solo.

At over 450 pages it should satisfy any Guns N'Roses & Slash fans and I never once found myself bored. It's extremely well-written and as I've long admired Slash without knowing all that much about him the book really does open things up about the guy. I have to say I found myself often grinning at the larger-than-life character that I think Slash has created as much as is natural but I guess the same goes for the majority of big-time rock stars.

Whilst I wouldn't have expected or indeed wanted anything other than a tale full of excess, Slash does rattle on and at times boast about the vast amount of drugs he's consumed far too often. It obviously forms a large part of his adult life but it's the only aspect of the book that I found myself thinking "Here we go again". It also struck me that he paints a picture of being constantly, totally wasted back in the heyday of Guns but manages to recount in fine detail a large number of events far better than I can remember what happened to me last month ! There's also a sad account of a close friend who died of a drug overdose in his company and you can't help but turn your nose up at Slash's version of what happened. He's painted this picture of a wild, hell-rasing rock star yet the day his friend dies he goes to some lengths to convince the reader that he was being "oh-so caring" that day which really didn't sit right with me.

The above comments aside it's still a superb read & even though I've never been a fan of Guns N'Roses, I still think Slash is a great musician & his story is well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Slashed, 5 Aug 2008
Twitch (Southern England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
This book is one of the most captivating I have ever read and is undoubtedly an essential read for all Hard-Core Guns `N' Roses fans. Slash is one of my all time favourite guitarists and idols, not because of his life style which to say the least is very questionable (yes this is an understatement), but because despite everything he was still able to produce some of the greatest guitar riffs/solos ever recorded.

Every subject you could want to know about is covered in this book and the honesty is complete. Of course the events are from the view of Slash, this is his autobiography after all but everything he says is plausible. I won't go into any details as that will take away the interest from reading through it, but I will say that there are tons of brilliant and interesting pictures throughout.

For any aspiring guitarist/musician this book should be read, although I must say his more extreme activities should not be repeated. It does however show that with enough dedication anything can happen and life long ambitions can be reached and there are many lessons to learn within.

This is brilliant and well worth looking at, it has inspired me even more so to want to pick up a guitar and blast out `Paradise City'. Slash to me will always be the soul of Guns; this book just proves it even more. The only thing I wish that to me knocks a star off is that there wasn't enough focus on the individual songs, such as where they were written, what inspired them and what they meant to him. There is a lot of talk in the beginning about the `Appetite songs but not so much of the `Illusions' tracks.

Now if only Axl were to release an autobiography for his version of events.

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest account from a real rock god, 3 Dec 2008
J. Cronin "dudara" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I was never quite of the Guns'N'Roses era - I was a tiny bit too late for that. However, "Welcome to the Jungle" is constantly on the playlist on my iPod along with other tracks. Slash was the lead guitarist from nearly the start of the Guns'N'Roses story and is an immediately recognisable figure due to his trademark top hat and big hair.

His autobiography (assisted byAnthony Bozza) is Slash's own attempt to tell his story. He tells it in a manner that is open and honest. He rarely apologies or attempts to conceal his actions. He simply tells it as he saw it. He begins with his childhood and family life and descibes his initial encounter with a guitar. However from there on in, there is very little mention of music in the book (in a technical sense that is). The book is more about Slash than about his music. His alcohol and drug-related excesses are presented as is his struggle to eventually become clean and be a father to his two sons.

Fans of Guns'N'Roses will love the descriptions of the band's rise to success and manic tour adventures. The tension between Axl and Slash is described, with long-reaching roots to early days. Slash often refuses to say anything truly bad about his former band member and this is to his credit.

Slash is famous for his open character and honesty, and that shines through in this book. His love for the music and respect for the fans is evident. This is the real story of how it all went down.

Slash: The Autobiography
Slash: The Autobiography by Slash (Paperback - 5 May 2008)