5.0 out of 5 stars Review # 61
With 60 other reviews here, I doubt anyone will wade through them to read this, but if you have, then it's appreciated.
Why I took the time to write this is because the 'Slash' is one of the best rock 'n' roll books you will ever read. And if you've got a 'must-read' list of books for your life, then this one should be added.
And it's not one of those large type...
Published on 27 May 2010 by Alan Burridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Rock Biography
Another rock biography.

Tales of alcohol excesses? Tick.
Tales of sexual excesses? Tick.
Tales of drug excesses? Tick.

So we have it all then, or do we?.

Published on 29 May 2008 by J. M. Salinas

5.0 out of 5 stars Review # 61, 27 May 2010
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
And it's not one of those large type 'quick-reads,' this type is quite small but comfortable on the eye nevertheless, and will give you your money's worth.
As others have mentioned, Slash is brutally honest with his story, and this is commendable, even though he's lucky to have survived the perils of heroin and booze addiction.
No one is ever truly clean of any addiction, it niggles away from time to time year's later, but I hope Perla, London, and Cash keep Slash on the right track; he's got a good few years, and albums in him yet; and the grandaddy years will suit him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly captivating story, 8 May 2009
The most entertaining, truly interesting story I've read in a long time.

Slash is funny, captivating, eloquent and yet still very true to himself throughout this story.

I thoroughly recommend it - you won't put it down until you've heard every last word of what he has to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wowza!, 7 Jan 2009
H. Yip "Tamagotchi Assassin" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I had to physically fight myself to put the book down to go to work, even though I would have happily sat on the London tube reading until I was finished!

I've always appreciated what a legend Slash is and was quite partial to a bit of 'Sweet Child', but having grown up mostly in the 90s, I never had the privilege of experiencing the rock n roll era and really knowing much about it. I've always just listened to whatever my friends were into and until I read this book I never really took the time to appreciate music for what it is. I consider my younger days to be musically deprived! Now when I listen to music, I really LISTEN.

In this book, Slash's story is objective and brutally honest without being slightly arrogant or dramatic. You can imagine it to be completely sensationalised, but the fact is, Slash tells it how it is and was, doesn't try to impress and takes on full responsibility for his actions. It is most definitely excessive but ultimately believable by the fact that you can almost hear his voice when you read.

This is possibly one of the best books I've ever read and would recommend this to anyone who can read!
Be warned though, I've been obsessed with Slash and GnR ever since. And I've had to obtain all their albums, a load of Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Aerosmith and any other 70s-80s rock I could get my hands on!

N.B. NOT recommended if you have a boyfriend who gets jealous easily... :-/

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Rock Biography, 29 May 2008
J. M. Salinas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Another rock biography.

Tales of alcohol excesses? Tick.
Tales of sexual excesses? Tick.
Tales of drug excesses? Tick.

So we have it all then, or do we?.

Well, yes but. If you want tales of excesses, they don't come better than Motley Crue's The Dirt. If you want to know about the in fighting and history of Guns n' Roses, well, you should know it by now, but here it is first hand nontheless.

The problem with this book is that it is not insightful enough, just a mere recollection from Slash himself. It focuses primarily on his Guns years, swiftly going through Slash's Snakepit and wrapping the burst in the music scene that Velvet Revolver was in one single chapter. Only every now and then does Slash stop to contemplate and reflect on the personality clashes and reasons why Guns disbanded, but true to his nature, he shies away from those sort of musings, which is a shame.

This could have been a great opportunity to set out a biography more in line with Iggy Pop's Open and Bleed, but unfortunately, it is not the case. It is compelling because Guns were truly great, but this is a case of style over substance.

Gripping tale nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest account from a real rock god, 3 Dec 2008
J. Cronin "dudara" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was never quite of the Guns'N'Roses era - I was a tiny bit too late for that. However, "Welcome to the Jungle" is constantly on the playlist on my iPod along with other tracks. Slash was the lead guitarist from nearly the start of the Guns'N'Roses story and is an immediately recognisable figure due to his trademark top hat and big hair.

His autobiography (assisted byAnthony Bozza) is Slash's own attempt to tell his story. He tells it in a manner that is open and honest. He rarely apologies or attempts to conceal his actions. He simply tells it as he saw it. He begins with his childhood and family life and descibes his initial encounter with a guitar. However from there on in, there is very little mention of music in the book (in a technical sense that is). The book is more about Slash than about his music. His alcohol and drug-related excesses are presented as is his struggle to eventually become clean and be a father to his two sons.

Fans of Guns'N'Roses will love the descriptions of the band's rise to success and manic tour adventures. The tension between Axl and Slash is described, with long-reaching roots to early days. Slash often refuses to say anything truly bad about his former band member and this is to his credit.

Slash is famous for his open character and honesty, and that shines through in this book. His love for the music and respect for the fans is evident. This is the real story of how it all went down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 19 April 2014
Got this for a family member for Xmas. Very pleased and apparently its a great book so no problems, thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars How is this man still alive?, 13 Jan 2011
Mr. K. J. Santi (South England) - See all my reviews
Being a big G'n'R fan, the autobiography of Slash was a book I could not miss.

It is an engrossing book which does not gloss over or skimp on any area of his life. He covers the good stuff and bad stuff in equal measure, uses superb anecdotes to give you a picture of the man and frequently states his honest opinions for the benefit of the reader. Considering the sheer quantity of alcohol and drugs he has consumed, I am amazed that he is still alive and playing.

However, after finishing the book, I found myself unable to decide what I thought about Slash. There were too many contradictions and double standards in his life which I found hard to swallow. Most of these revolve around his criticism of others who have various addiction problems and their percieved lack of professionalism. If anyone put in less than 100% effort at a gig or in the recording studio, Slash is very critical of them. Yet he himself is guilty of some of the worst excesses and worst behaviour, he goes to great lengths to justify and assure us that he never compromised the band.

His comments about Axl and the demise of GnR are probably the bits most people will want to read. Suffice to say he gives a fairly frank view of this and you can't help but agree with him on most of it. Much of what said paints Axl in a bad light and you wonder how the band held together as long as it did. I hope one day Axl explains his side of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down!, 1 Feb 2009
A. Zaremba (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Having just finished this book I cannot recommend it highly enough! A must for any Guns N' Roses fan. Obviously the story telling is all from Slash's perspective but it is interesting to read his (really quite eloquent) thoughts and feelings about the various goings on at the band. It's disappointing that Axl hasn't released a similar book so you can get the other side of the story and then you know the truth of the matter is somewhere in the middle! Slash's addictions and experiences make for interesting reading and no matter how much an @r$e Axl may be, it can't have been easy being in a band with hard core junkies and alcoholics. That said, buy this book - you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book blew me away!!!!, 14 Nov 2007
T. Baldwin "nune666" (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I've been waiting for this book for ages, and the moment it was delivered, i ripped the book out of its packaging and started to read it straight away. I have been a huge fan of Slash & Guns N Roses since they burst on an unsuspecting world and grabbed us all by the balls!!! The well documented tales of sex drugs and rock & roll were obviously well noted by us all. But this book, is truthful, telling it how it was/is, but most of all, it's Slash just speaking from his heart. (that's how I've taken it, anyway). Slash recalls his earliest memories, both good & not-so-good. The thing i loved about this book, is that Slash always takes full responsibility for his actions, always has. He has come through a lot and frankly, is extremly lucky to be here to tell the tale.
And what a tale it is. It is shocking, interesting, and damn right hilarious in places. I read this book in two days!!! I simply couldn't put it down. I just HAD to finish it. Compulsive reading, definately.
WHETHER YOU LIKE GUNS N ROSES OR NOT.....THIS IS A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slash The Truth, 23 Nov 2007
C. Watterson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slash: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Slash and have been now for the best part of half my life. I have follwed him through his G n' R days to Snakepit and finally Velvet Revolver.

Unlike so called other 'Rock Stars' who have only a fraction of his talent, I have always liked Slash due to his easy going nature and down to earth personality which doesn't appear to have changed one bit despite the fame. He is also very respectful of the fans and never forgets who put him where he is.

Slash leaves nothing out and includes all the things that any self respecting Rock God would enjoy including sex, drugs, booze and of course the great music. He also goes into explicit detail on his self destructive streak that appears regularly throughout the book.

Slash is at times brutally honest in this book to the point where you keep saying to yourself 'did that really happen' but I guess he wants to set the record straight. He certainly wants people to stop asking him when GnR will get back together again. After reading this you will think not a chance in hell...

All in all a very enjoyable read which I got through in a few days.

Slash: The Autobiography
Slash: The Autobiography by Slash (Hardcover - 29 Oct 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01