Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2010
A delightful festive story with beautiful illustrations and clearly written.

The Browns and Paddington Bear visit Santa Claus's Grotto at Barkridges Store. As usual things don't go quite to plan, But will Paddington get what he want for Christmas !

I highly recommended, Paddington always amuses our entire family! A classic
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 December 2014
3.5 stars

I'm not sure about this one. Beautifully illustrated as always, but I was a little disappointed in the story.

Paddington takes the Browns to a store to see Santa and the Winter Wonderland there. One of my problems was that the store's Christmas display (with few customers there) has fallen into disrepair. I felt this actually implies to young children reading that it's not all magic and a 'real' Wonderland (I do mean 3-4 year olds here, like my son), as we see broken toys and a disappointed Paddington. Not really a message I want to share at this time of year - that it's all a mirage and a fantasy.

My son was disappointed at this stage that Paddington goes home without seeing Father Christmas, but did cheer up when he sees him at the end (and thank goodness for that!).

I would have liked a Christmas Paddington to be a little more upbeat and magical throughout, not such a dampener and killjoy!
on 3 January 2010
My 3 year old son has refused to have any other bedtime story read to him since getting this in his stocking on Christmas day (it's now Jan 3rd)- can't get better praise than that. Lovely pictures and great story. A must for all Paddington fans.
on 20 November 2011
I bought this last Christmas for my (then) three year old, who enjoyed reading the first book where they find Paddington at the station.

This is not one of the best. Paddington jumps from a moving ride in a store, unnoticed, to mend the flashing light in a model lighthouse. When they realise he is missing from the ride, the Brown family are more concerned that he will be cross about missing the attractions rather than for his safety. The story goes downhill from there, with the twist being that, after leaving, people flock to the store to look for the bear that caused strange goings on, and Mrs Bird apparently arranges with the manager for Paddington to get a jar of marmalade from the store Santa as a reward.

Neither of my children enjoyed the story (and still don't), which is a shame because the Christmas special is usually a sure fire hit with any series.
on 18 May 2015
If your stars went to sis we would fill them all in. Our son is 6 recently we needed to be in London twice. He loved being on the platforms where PB met the Browns. My wife and I both enjoyed reading the book
on 8 March 2015
Really nice book - especially appropriate around the Christmas period. Much enjoyed by my four year old grandson.
on 10 February 2013
Arrived very quickly and was exactly how the supplier described. Extremely happy with the product and the supplier we chose. The pictures of Paddington are as seen on the front cover (not the modern version) but still very cute and a different image to younger readers.
on 1 March 2015
For readers under 6. The story was a bit short and basic
on 27 December 2014
This was the first real introduction of Paddington to my wee ones and they loved that he was so cheeky. They thought the traditional illustrations were beautiful. Perfect for Christmas time!
on 6 April 2010
I bought this book for my 3 1/2 year old daughter. She loved it! The book is beautifully written and Paddington (as ever) keeps her engaged with his adventures. Nice present for Christmas.