5.0 out of 5 stars Skulduggery returns for an exciting and hilarious adventure
I absolutely adored Skulduggery Pleasant; I counted down the days until the sequel was released, bought it the second it came onto the shelves and had read it within hours. (:

Published on 24 Sep 2009 by Rebecca

3.0 out of 5 stars Read by a 52 year old ;-)
Light entertainment on holiday. Predictable but enjoyable - a cross between Rowling and Pratchett. Will be reading the third in due course.
Published 13 months ago by Lord_Gargoyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Skulduggery returns for an exciting and hilarious adventure, 24 Sep 2009
Rebecca (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews

`Playing with Fire' lives up to the original book and more as we carry on where we left Valykrie, developing her powers and fighting bad guys, bigger and more horrid than before. With the help of her reflection she spends each day battling with evil, but will she start to miss the home life the `fake' her is living? Or will the mysterious beings, magic powers and constant time off school be enough to keep her happy?!

Each page is bursting with action and thrills and the hilariously quick witted humour of Derek Landy runs perfectly with the mysterious storyline. The characters from the first book stay put and new ones are introduced, from the lovely to the bizarre. Each chapter is described with fantastic detail, and the fight scenes (which I usually find boring in books) are packed with adrenaline, excitement and fear.

I haven't enjoyed a children's fantasy book series this much since Harry Potter. Read all of them. Instantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars skulduggery books won't lt you put them down!, 28 July 2009
My daughter is 11yrs old and so I had a peek at a couple or three chapters to make sure they were ok (censored them in other words).
I only meant to read a couple of pages, the books were so enthralling that it took some one else to remind me I'd bought them for my daughter.

When my daughter read them, I had to ask her to mark the page and save some for tommorrow- she would have read all night.
Brilliantly written and VERY enthralling.
BUY THEM FOR YOUR CHILDREN!

5.0 out of 5 stars An eagerly anticpated novel., 1 April 2008
Ms. S. HUDSON "SuzyQ" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playing With Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 2) (Hardcover)
My son and I have been waiting for the second book from Derek Landry since finishing the first Skulduggery Pleasent.

We devoured it as soon as it got into greedy hands. Neither of us were disappointed. It starts at a fast pace and doesn't slow down carrying you away on this exhilirating adventure.

Derek Landy has a brilliant way of creating belivable characters. My son describes Skulduggery as a skeletal Dr Who without the time travel, just the quick wit and whacky humour.

If you haven't read this book yet then please do. It is a book you can share as a family, as it is not age dependant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 May 2012
J. Bray (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm going to avoid discussing plot etc. and just say this book is utter escapism. More fun, excitement and dark humour from Derek Landy. Read this in about two days. To help you with your buying decision these comments are coming from a 29 year old fan of harry potter, hell boy, buffy the vampire slayer and discworld. If you like any of these you'll probably like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 July 2009
The second in Landy's enjoyable series about a skeleton detective with magical powers begins with Skulduggery and his assistant, 13-year-old Valkyrie Cain (aka Stephanie) capturing a murderer in downtown Dublin. When they take him back to the Sanctuary however, they're given the bad news that Baron Vengeous, an evil sorcerer dedicated to bringing the Faceless Ones back to the Earth, has escaped from jail and plans to resurrect an all-powerful creature that he created - the Grotesquery - so that the Faceless Ones can be brought back during an eclipse.

Skulduggery and Valkyrie's attempts to stop this bring them into contact with a host of characters - some familiar from the first book like the swordswoman Tanith Low, some like Billy-Ray Sanguine, new. Landy gives all of his characters a wit and vitality that makes them a joy to read - even the raving psychopaths. His imagination is incredible, from the depiction of Vengeous's shadowy armour to his take on vampires via the sinister Mr Dusk and the fight scenes crackle with pace and action. At the same time, there are some nice hints of dark things and mysteries to come on both a character and a plot level, e.g. the hint of more baddies existing in the background and the relationship between Valkyrie and her reflection, who is called on to make a big sacrifice and who is hiding something from her because of it.

The relationship between Valkyrie and Skulduggery is nicely developed as Valkyrie develops her powers as an Elemental and discovers the implications of being descended from an Eternal. At the same time, Valkyrie comes to realise how her thirst for adventure and excitement is affecting her relationship with her family, leading to a degree of soul searching.

The book ends with a nice set-up for the next book, which I am thoroughly looking forward to reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 18 Feb 2014
THIS IS DEFINITELY,100%, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, ABSOLUTELY, UNDOUBTEDLY ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ EVER TOTALLY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Greatest, AWESOMEST, BEST,BOOK EVER IN THE WORLD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 11 Feb 2014
This was a great book and I can't wait to read the next one . No three the faceless ones :)

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 12 Jan 2014
My daughter has read the first two in this series and she said ` the skulduggery pleasant books are awesome. I sooooo want to be steph

5.0 out of 5 stars hi, 30 Nov 2013
I absolutely love Skullduggery and recommended it to all my friends because it's superbly written and inspired me to write short stories and perhaps a book some day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skulduggery pleaseant playing with awsome1, 25 Oct 2013
This book held me from the beggining untill the very end and left me despretly wanting more. But unfortunatly I can`t get it :(. Yet. I have said this before and will say this again, these books are the very definition of awsome. Funny, dark action scenes that will make you want to jump to the rescue of a poor old lady and save the day and strong funny charecters. If I could I would give this a 100000000000000/5 but not suprisingly I cant! My only flaw is that I could of bought book 7 in the series for 20 more pence and it had over 600 pages while this only has 300orso. One of my faveroute books and realy only outmatched by another book in the serIes. Derek, you are AMAZING!!

Playing With Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 2)
Playing With Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 2) by Derek Landy (Hardcover - 1 April 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01