4.0 out of 5 stars For inspiration in watercolours
Published on 6 Mar 2010 by You Are Light

3.0 out of 5 stars Water colour
Not really sure this was worth buying. Nothing to get your teeth (or paintbrush) into. Book is also quite small and as such difficult to read.
Published 6 months ago by John

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars For inspiration in watercolours, 6 Mar 2010
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
As it says in the description this is a book for the practiced beginner, not really for someone who wants to learn the "abc" of watercolours. But it's a really nice book that emphasises simplicity and enjoyment as being integral to painting watercolours. The pictures are simply explained ,not in a how to make an exact copy style but rather which techniques were used and suggestions on when you might use them.
Unlike one of the other reviewers I found the text useful and easy to follow. Fiona Peart writes in the first person because these are her pictures and in this book she explains how she created them. We can only guess as to why anyone would make an issue out of her using the word "I".
Anyway, it's a good book and i'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light through my darkness, 25 Jan 2009
S. Parkinson (Bedford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
I have been attending classes for watercolours for 4 years now, but this book really inspired me. I love the simplistic forms and the clear brief instructions. I love it and will buy the next one. Thank you Fiona.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Minute Watercolours, 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
Just love this little book. Find the instructions and projects delightful to copy and learn from. Excellent for a beginner. Shall buy her next book for sure..

5.0 out of 5 stars superb and inspirational, 16 Jun 2010
Frootie (North West, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
This is a cracking little book. Painting in a modern style, Fiona takes you step by step through various projects. None are too daunting (though few of mine turned out as good as hers, sadly!), and I found each page gave me an appetite for painting with her fresh take on her topic. I recommend this book to anyone with either little knowledge of water colours (or very rusty), or lacking in confidence. She writes in the first person because it's a very personable approach she takes in talking you through the steps.

I loved this compact little book so much I raved about it at my little art group and my friend bought one as a result and she loves it too. (I have also now bought her 'Washes' book too which is excellent- though 'meatier', and shows more of the amazing extent of her technical knowledge of the paint pigment properties etc and uses them to full effect, giving beautiful luminous pictures).

This is a super book to inspire mini projects and try out new ideas, just don't expect a weighty art reference book and then you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful, exceptional book - truly inspirational!, 7 Dec 2010
Mrs. Alison Taylor (Grantham, Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
I bought this book on a whim, simply for inspiration. However, after reading it, I was instantly impressed with the content. Fiona not only has an enviable artistic ability, but also an amazing talent to be able to convey her experience to the reader. She much more than "teaches" the reader how to achieve certain effects, but inspires at the same time. I believe this is a rare talent, and am so inspired by her, that I have now bought several more of her books. I would say this book is not only an essential for the beginner, but would also inspire the more experienced painter. All in all I would suggest this is a "MUST" and it would make a very nice gift for anyone interested in watercolour painting. Thank you very much, Fiona!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 22 Jun 2009
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
This book is a very good introduction for the beginner, enabling a quick start and instant confidence in a difficult medium, also excellent value.

Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Amatuer Painter, 16 July 2012
M. Slocombe (U.K. LL29 9ED) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
An informative booklet which has helped me in my efforts to learn more about painting. I always like to see how other artists approach their work in order to perfect (hopefully) my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little guide., 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
I've been keen to do a bit of painting for a while now. I've acquired some brushes, paints and paper, but the hardest part for me is putting brush to paper for the first time.

This inexpensive guide has lots of advice, some nice examples and a few simple exercises which should remove some of your initial fears and get you over that first hurdle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and to the point, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
I recently purchased this book as a struggling and frustrated beginner. Found the tips and hints very helpful and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins 30 minute painting - Watercolours, 6 April 2011
Rosie (Norfolk England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) (Hardcover)
Nice loose style of painting, good helpful tips, these Collins books are a nice size, not big and bulky and you can just browse through them whilst having a coffee break and dream of painting your next masterpiece.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting)
Watercolours (Collins 30-Minute Painting) by Fiona Peart (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: £9.99