Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2015
This book pulls no punches in giving you a "ringside seat" into this devastating illness. The most serious form is when psychotic episodes appear. I give this book a 5 star rating for its honesty and descriptive excellence. It is a very challenging and at times frightening book to read but as Marya Hornbacher says herself it is what it is. I salute her immense bravery. An essential read for patients, their families and also the general population. Education is the only way forward to improve treatment and respect for those suffering from this illness and to rid us of the scourge of stigma and discrimination.
on 9 October 2013
I am not usually one to leave a review but as a suffer of manic depression thought I owe it to others like myself.This book has it all sadness happyness love loss a remarkable story and woman.It hits on how bipolar suffers minds work the sheer speed suffers minds work how days melt into others and how you just want to hurry people up its all in the book you wont be disappointed if you are looking because you know a bipolar sufferer then this will give you an insite and maybe a new respect of the person whos suffering.
on 1 December 2011
What else to say?- amazing writer, brilliant book...would recommend to read after Wasted as a logical continuation of the writers life
on 2 May 2013
I docked one star purely because I have previously read Hornbacher's memoir 'Wasted', and this didn't quite live up to how fantastic I found that. 'Madness: A Bipolar Life', however, remains a brilliant book that follows Hornbacher over a number of years, relationships, manic highs, lows and hospitalizations and recounts in a wonderfully honest and unrestrained fashion the stark impacts of such a devastating mental illness. Thoroughly recommended.
on 27 February 2014
I would n't want to damn the book with the faint praise my title implies but I did find much of the book repetitious and of very little help to anyone suffering from this dreadful (but survivable ) illness. Probably of more help to the friends and family of someone suffering but the authors illness in my opinion was near the extreme course this illness takes and she did many things which did n't help herself.
on 9 June 2013
Marya Hornbacher is one of my favourite authors. Her story is gripping and inspires everyone with hardship in their lives to carry on. Both wasted and madness have helped me through a lot!
on 3 January 2012
If you have, or know someone that has, been recently diagnosed with Bipolar, this book will give you an insight into what it is like to suffer with the disorder. The author does an excellent job conveying how the mind of a Bipolar sufferer works, from the racing thoughts to the self destructive behaviour. Yes, the author can be a self absorbed at times, but a lot of people with Bi Polar tend to be. For under £5 you cannot go wrong
on 10 January 2016
This is worth reading if you have an interest in mental health. It is a reasonable account & would help others to develop insight into the difficulties faced by many.
on 3 February 2016
Was a very interesting read, i loved it and found it very insightful :) I defiantly recommended that others interested in mental illness give this a read.
on 10 April 2012
I have to say, I rather agree with 'Holly' in her review. There is just something missing with this book.

When I had my diagnosis, I rushed out and bought every book I could find. From texbooks to memoirs.

Now bear in mind, I have no memory of my extreme highs and lows, so I rely very much on other people to fill in the blanks. Perhaps I kid myself that I'm 'not really that bad.'

So. when I read this book (which I bought last of all of them), I found it difficult to read. Literally, I couldn't get a flow. In fact, I actually found myself not being that bothered about this person or the end.

To be honest, I would recommend, Kay Redfield Jamison's "An Unquiet Mind" - it was the most recommended book to me. I like intelligent, fact filled books. Then I would recommend textbook style books to better learn about the illness and treatments.

You could read five different books about people and their illness and not relate to any of them. Whilst there's some similiarities in terms of symptoms, it presents differently and effects us all differently and those around us. As such, I didn't gain anything from this book. And I wouldn't recommend it to loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder, simply because they'll probaly be even more confused. And perhaps even more alarmed!

If you're really keen to learn about the illness and treatments, I would seek out a good reference book. Even the 'For Dummies' range has one, and its actually quite good, albeit a little condescending!

So, if you're looking for a trite, disjointed read that leaves you wondering what's going on half the time and doesn't seem to have a point - look no further! (and I mean the book - not this review!)