5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and wonderful! Better than the TV series!
Published on 28 Sep 2009 by Schnack

3.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Diaries
No question, Nigel Slater is the best cookery writer of this century (so far) Nobody on either side of the Atlantic can hold a candle to him --- at his best. Can't say the same about his television appearances, but that's a different discussion.

My husband bought me this fetching book from Waitrose, while we were house hunting in Devon. It is a handsome,...
Published on 11 Mar 2010 by Marsha Coupe

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and wonderful! Better than the TV series!, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: Tender: Volume I, A cook and his vegetable patch (Hardcover)
A truly exceptional effort from Mr. Slater and his publishers. The book is gorgeously bound and an absolute delight to hold and to read. Illustrated with inspiring photographs as we have come to expect from Nigel's books. But Tender Vol.1 is certainly not all style and no substance. I found The Kitchen Diaries to be a bit of a disappointment - great as a personal memoir, but not an inspiring cookbook - I think I only tried two or three recipes from it. Tender is a another thing altogether - organised into chapters by vegetable (or vegetable type), we are given tips and short diaries for growing our own, and then a section on the vegetable in the kitchen - how it is best prepared, what it goes well with, and then specific full recipes. I found it truly inspiring and am now looking forward to the delivery of my next organic veg box, rather than feeling guilty about letting some of last week's go to waste. Tender will help elevate the vegetable from an overlooked (and overcooked!) side-dish into the raison d'etre for getting the pots and pans out. I can't wait for Vol.2!
Also worth saying that although I enjoyed the accompanying TV programme Nigels Simple Suppers, this book should in no way be considered one of those hackneyed books the BBC bashes out to accompany a cookery series. This book far surpasses what is covered in the programme and stands completely on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars How on earth does he do it?, 16 Sep 2009
Colin J. Herd "colin j herd" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
I ADORE THE TITLE OF THIS BOOK. It makes my heart melt as if it was the swede in his pasty recipe (560), or the centre of his chocolate beetroot cake (p.78), or the gratin of white cabbage, cheese and mustard (p.156) or the pumpkin scone (502).

I buy cookery books all the time. None are as useful or as beautiful as Nigel's. If I come across an ingredient in my veg-box or in the fishmonger or wherever, and I think to myself in the shop, "how could i turn this into my dinner?", the recipes and ideas that spring to mind are almost always from Nigel's books, or the folders I have full of Nigel's Observer newspaper recipes. Leafing through 'Tender' this morning with a cup of tea (I did preorder it for yesterday but I was out when the citylink van turned up) it is clear that this book will become the most well thumbed of all my collection. Cooking with a Nigel Slater book liberates you very quickly to cooking in a certain way, adapting recipes, swapping flavourings etc.

'Tender' carries on the precedent set by Kitchen Diaries for breathtakingly beautiful book-design and photography.

I have already decided what we're having for dinner, and everything is already in the house... it's on page 506.

xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful book from Nigel, 29 Sep 2009
It was with great excitement that I placed my order for Nigel's 11th book and I am not disappointed.
Beautifully executed and with wonderful recipes and photographs it is a dream to read.

My copy arrived today so I have only had a chance to look at it briefly (when my boss wasn't looking!) however in my opinion it has even transcended The Kitchen Diaries which is one of my favourite books - a favourite not just for the food but also for Nigel's wonderful, whimsical prose.

What I love about Nigel Slater is that the kindness in his personality translates so well to the page - no I have never met him but you can feel it through his words.

As we all become increasingly conscious of the food we eat - where has it come from? Is it organic? What impact does it have on the environment? A book such as this reminds us that we are all capable of making change and of growing our own veges and herbs - even on the smallest pot or apartment verandah.

I have gushed long enough - if you love Nigel Slater's work as I do this lovely book is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem !, 3 Oct 2009
What a book!
First artistically it is a joy to the eye, so even if you only keep it as a coffee table type of book, it is well worth it, and particularly so if you are a cook AND a gardener.
I too am a fan of that other great book, Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook (very highly recommended and if you haven't already done so I would say buy both as they so complement each other!).
Nigel Slater's new book brings the category to another level because, simply put, this is Nigel and his great style both in writing and in cooking: interesting quality recipes as well as a very personal way of presenting them, this time from a double angle: that of a cook and a gardener.
A great read, a great inspiration (ideas as well as tips) and a great comforter (meaning comfort food of course but also the joys of gardening with its highs and lows for every one including the author...)
To me a book addict, a homecook and a (small scale ) gardener the book fitted the bill at all levels, thumbs up from France!
If you never bought anything from Nigel Slater, buy this one, you won't regret it (but beware it will set the mark very high and/or get you hooked...).

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, inspirational and a joy to read, 6 Oct 2009
E. Hard (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This has everything one wants from a cookery book. Immensely practical (eg how to cook several wonderfully tasty dishes when what should have been a baby courgette has turned into a marrow.) It is also totally inspirational both from the gardening as well as the cooking perspective. The book is a joy to read; written in clear and beautiful language it recounts personal experience as well as giving us delicious recipes, gardening advice and heartfelt poetic imagery. If you love your friends, and they love food and growing it, buy them this book for Christmas. They will love you for giving them this best of presents. If you haven't got it, treat yourself as I did and you can be the next to write a rave review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another thing of beauty from Nigel - and practical too!, 26 Sep 2009
Sensible Cat (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
The best cookery books are practical, inspirational and well-written, offering not only suggestions for interesting meals and practical techniques but a window into the author's life and values. Nigel Slater's new book scores highly on both counts. If you liked "The Vegetable Diaries" you'll love this - possibly even more. It is, dare I say, a little bit less precious - as if he's relaxed into his daily life and let the food speak for itself.

By all means get this out and use it in the kitchen, but it's as likely to end up on your bedside table. I find it relaxing and therapeutic in my busy life to check in on Nigel and his values, which closely resemble my own. He carries none of the aura of perfection and the personality cult that makes some TV chefs dominate their recipes and turns modern cookery books into exercises in narcissism. You get the feeling that if he uses food stylists at all (and I'm not sure how he'd ever get everything done without them) he'd be very clear about briefing them. The food takes centre stage - it's simple, refreshing, organic and beautiful. If you haven't attempted to grow your own until now, he will almost certainly inspire you with the beautiful photographs of his garden in all seasons and his honest account of the ups and downs of his life as an apprentice "home allotmenteer".

This isn't the first "grow you own" cookbook I've come across by any means - I can strongly recommend Sarah Raven's "Garden Cookbook", but it's refereshing that instead of simply taking us through the year like most of them do, Slater groups his recipes alphabetically by vegetable - it makes things that little bit more practical. I'm sure I'll turn to it repeatedly at times like now, when I'm a bit overwhelmed in courgettes and beetroot.

I've only one quibble, and it's very small - whose idea was it to turn the contents page through 90 degrees so we have to turn the book around to find out where things are? But that's sweating the small stuff when you ought to be sweating the garlic and leeks. Buy it as a Christmas present while it's cheap - and get one for yourself as well because you probably won't want to part with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So inventive with Veg!, 30 Oct 2009
I bought this book for my boyfriend for Christmas and couldn't resist just flicking through it before wrapping it. I almost didn't wrap it, this book is just too good for words. I wanted to start cooking with it right then and there. This is a fantastic book for recipes and will really give you new ideas for what to do with veg. It's tempted me to try out so new types of vegetables. I'm afraid I didn't bother reading the parts about allotment keeping but skipped right on to what could be made out of the food. Easily a book to take to bed with you, or to flick though if you've suddenly got twenty potatoes to use up and have no idea what to do with them!

This is not a vegetarian cookbook but most of the recipes are! It really does give you hundreds of ways to try out veg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 16 Sep 2009
If you like vegetables, this is a great book. If you don't like vegetables, this is absolutely vital! These recipe ideas will show you how to eat and enjoy them they way they should be eaten and enjoyed. That's dinner for the next year sorted...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Suberb Nigel!, 20 Sep 2009
Like some of the other reviewers I too have all his books.

A new Nigel Slater book is something to be anticipated in my house. This is another lovely book, written in a similar tone to The Kitchen Diaries, but with quite a bit more.

He covers many vegetables, what they are, a gardeners view (I so want to grow my own veggies!), a cooks view and then of course there are the actual recipes. They are mostly for savoury dishes, but there are a few sweet ones too - I have just finished icing his carrot and walnut cake with mascarpone and orange icing, gorgeous. Of course it's a superb read too.

Can hardly wait for Volume II next year about fruit!

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 17 Oct 2009
As is the way with Nigel Slater's books, they are a joy to read - even if you don't intend to make any of his recipes! I defy anyone, however, not to be inspired or encouraged not only to cook these uncomplicated dishes, but to grow their own ingredients. I read cookery books like 'normal' people read novels, so this is the perfect book for me as it is a combination of enjoyable text, superb, yet realistic, photography - from garden to kitchen.

Tender: Volume I, A cook and his vegetable patch
Tender: Volume I, A cook and his vegetable patch by Nigel Slater (Hardcover - 17 Sep 2009)