on 9 September 2009
Just returned from the Galpagos. Half the visitors in my group had this book. It is small, well organised and covers all wildlife you will encounter (apart from fish, and you are bound to snorkel, and the Godwit bird) together with useful sections on the geology and, most importantly, the sites and walks you will be taken to by your guide.
This book is a must
on 27 March 2009
This is the book that our guide in the Galapogos used. I am no wildlife expert and I found I was easily able to identify the birds and animals I saw using this book. Only wish I had bought it before I traveled. This book cost $45US on the ship and $35US locally. I suggest you buy from Amazon before you go.
on 21 September 2009
We found this book very helpful, particularly in conjunction with our guide's comments. We could check up on the wildlife he had described, which helped us to remember and to label our photos more or less correctly. On the whole the illustrations were very good and the layout clear. Unfortunately it doesn't include fish, so snorkellers need another reference book.
on 17 December 2010
Having lived in the Galapagos most of my life, I wish I'd had this book while growing up, exploring the islands and guiding early visitors. The photographs are clear, the book well designed for easy identification and the text shows that the authors have a deep respect and understanding of the islands. If you don't get around to buying this book to take with you....buy it in mainland Ecuador or out in the Galapagos, only don't go without it.
on 13 June 2010
A very informative and helpful guide, providing a detailed and thorough manual of most of the wildlife to be seen, plus additional, relevant information about the conservation process, taking photos etc. The one major omission (albeit not in this guide's brief) is the absence of a section on the fish etc. seen on typical trips.
on 28 November 2012
One or two species commonly seen not listed, and some illustrations picture only the male of the species, when the female is quite different, and the text does not mention this. (Darwins finches). Not all tourist paths mentioned, but those listed were excellent. Cruise ship National Park Guides (mandatory for all excursions) fill in the gaps.
on 19 March 2016
This is a beautifully presented and very comprehensive guide to Galapagos wildlife. Flora, fauna (including invertebrates and fish) are categorised (mostly according to habitat), depicted clearly by colour photographs and accompanied by descriptions sufficiently detailed to ensure accurate identification.Additionally the book contains brief but enlightening sections on Geology, Vulcanology, Ocean Currents, Ecological and Vegetation Zones and History of the islands.There is also a short section on Local Conservation and another of Hints for Photographers.Of particular interest is the inclusion of individual maps of the most frequently visited islands showing visitor sites and a list - ' WATCH OUT FOR ' as well as other interesting information. The book concludes with a useful glossary and an extensive bibliography should one wish to delve even deeper into the fascinating wildlife of the Galapagos.
I have enjoyed already reading this book and I am looking forward to using it 'in the field' on my forthcoming visit to these islands.Weighing about 450g /1lb this is not excessively heavy to pack. Buy a copy - you will not be disappointed !
on 22 July 2013
A great book and marvellous for spotting wildlife coupled with some background about the islands themselves and the way they formed
on 25 April 2013
This book by Collins is a must if you are travelling to the Galapagos Islands. It is packed with very good advice on what to expect on each of the very different Islands.
on 29 February 2016
Of all the pocket sized books I have seen on this subject this volume fills the need of Galaagos visitors very effectively. It provides enough information to identufy the species one encounters ans also supplies much data on the habit and environment in which they exist. Much recommended. and well worth purchasing before visiting the islands, I did not see this book available there.