5.0 out of 5 stars What a revelation
Having devoured this book from cover to cover in some kind of rapid unfurling of clarity and understanding, and proceeding to wax lyrical to all my friends and family, I am immediately a total Dorothy Rowe fan.

Published on 13 April 2007 by MollfromOz

3.0 out of 5 stars Psychiatrists beware
It is not what I expected. From other reviewers I thought I was going to gain some insight into my inner self instead this tells why psychiatrists and psychologists are misguided individuals in the thralls of the drugs companies.
She puts forward very clear arguments as to why things are as they are and how they could be improved upon in very simple ways.
It has...
Published on 2 Dec 2002 by Stephen Mccarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars What a revelation, 13 April 2007
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)

I can hardly believe that 9 years after being diagnosed manic depressive after a most spectacular manic flame-out at the late age of 41, and being an avid reader to boot, that it has has taken me this long to uncover someone who at last talks good sense about why depression happens.

I understand that when this book was originally written Dorothy was seen as controversial. I suspect that her anti medication views have softened somewhat in the latest edition given that some psychiatrists (if my experience is anything to go by) are less inclined to say that medication is the only treatment, and have just quietly agreed amongst themselves that the whole chemical imbalance thing is pretty much not provable, and probably not terribly relevant even if it was.

To my mind she is quite the sanest sounding person I have ever read. Her observations are illuminating and her advice wise. Her UK nomination amongst the wisest people in the world is thoroughly deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the GOLDEN GOLD OF WISDOM!! RUN TO BUY THIS BOOK!!!!, 17 Sep 2005
Maryanne Campbell "funnybone" (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
This is the most comprehensive, valuable, wise, insightful and truly intelligent book that I have ever read. True story and I have read hundreds! It is the book of books!!
Dorothy Rowe scoops the pools in the 'wise' stakes and takes us back to truly remembering how to connect with who we are.
Beware that we are all too used to 'how to in 10 easy steps' and we have, for the most part, totally forgotten to sit with ourselves and understand and be kind to ourselves through annihilating fear and pain. We find our own steps once we understand our fear.
How many people must be grateful that Dorothy Rowe decided to be so brave on paper? She literally cuts through the mystifying world of psychiatry and takes on the 'so-called' scientific literature with a glorious uncompromising clarity and common sense that rewards the reader with more information on the therapy culture than any other book written. She is the goods, the gold, the real mccoy.
A true elder!!
This book made me proud I could feel all of life, and gave me the courage (as well as me) to face what life could bring. Agony, ecstacy and oh my god, a love of little old me!
For anyone having a hard time right now, or diagnosed with a mental disorder, or perhaps several, don't give up, start reading this book - and take the bits that suit you and that help make sense of your world.
Power to you!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK BRINGS HOPE, 15 Jan 2008
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
If you've been told that depression or associated mental disorders are something you "just have to live with" - think again. This book brings hope that there IS a way through and out of it all. I cannot receommend it highly enough. There is only one reservation - it's not a quick fix, you have to be prepared to examine some places in your past that maybe you would wish to forget, and you have to want to change. Dorothy Rowe doesn't promise an esy ride, but what she says makes so much sense and rings so true that you cannot help but be encouraged to believe there is hope. Don't let anyone tell there isn't. Depression is all in the mind? Well, in a sense, yes - but the good news is that you can use your mind to do something about it, and you're not dependant on our desperately lacking health service to put you straight! I read this book with a senes of overwhelming relief.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique & cathartic read, for seekers of ageless wisdom., 2 Feb 2002
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
Without question, Dorothy Rowe lends a clarity and perspective to the modern challenge of living happily, that is unlikely to be found elswhere.
New readers of her work will find this seminal book full of simple (but not simplistic) and deeply profound and digestable insights on the nature of the human condition (and how to make best use of it), that are such compelling truths as perhaps to have been written by a woman of extraordinary benevolence and powers of effective communication, who has lived for 200 years and seen all of life's vagaries laid out before her.
Beyond Fear is an invaluable journey into (& out-of) the roots and trappings of the classical human responses to uncertainty, spiritual-absence, and most notably, the common lack of self-understanding that plays havoc with the balance and happiness of modern man/woman.
As well as being timeless, Beyond Fear is also agnostic in its attachment to no particular culture, or community, or creed. It is a gift for humanity, and is accorded this staus as in its welcoming and prosaic tone, Beyond Fear speaks on many levels of the (always) fortuitous reasons that brings a person to use/choose fear as a response to not-enduring what ultimately turns out to be less painful experiences. Therefore, Beyond Fear is a must-read for all those who seek a more pervasive understanding of themsleves and their nature, not to mention a sensitive, accurate and hugely compelling breakdown of the architechture of an individuals' behaviour-patterns, as well as their subsequent attempts to defend themselves from the mis-guided fear of annihilation of the self.
Dr Rowe consumately shows we have nothing at all to fear, and that we can live joyously in any circumstance and that finally... we belong.
This book, without over-statement, is an important, almost critical, purchase for any reader of whichever stage of self-enlightenemt, who wishes to underscore his/her self-knowledge, and deepen it immesurably.
Dr Rowe is to be revered, and doubtless already is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now fear free, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
I'd been suffering from depression, severe anxiety attacks, amongst other things on and off for 14 years when I first picked up one of Dorothy's books after a referral from a friend.
The way Dorothy explains how and why you've construed your desperate defences, is like turning on the light in a dark room. She explained how I'd built my defences in order to protect myself from my fears, defences I didn't even know were there.
She KNEW the lies I'd told myself in order to keep myself safe, she KNEW that I felt as though these matters were life and death and she KNEW how to make it clear so that I could work my way out of the darkness.
I had tried countless times over the years to have someone really understand what I was trying to say, to really understand what I meant when I described how I felt and for someone to really understand how helpless I felt. Dorothy knew it all, all my lies, all my fears, even how I justified my routine purging day after day.
Her book showed me why I was afraid and how that filtered down into all my beliefs and ideals.
On one occasion I remember throwing the book at the wall, not because it was wrong but because she had hit a nerve that I'd never wanted to admit was true. How could she know this if she didn't know me? She made me confront why I was who I was and how'd I'd gotten there. She shows you that by being truly honest you give yourself the choice to heal and to free yourself from the feelings of powerlessness.
Her book conveys astonishing insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
I could go on and on, but all I really want to say is that this book is great because it's written in everyday language which makes sense to me, and gives case study examples of what the author is talking about. It really was better than I expected - how often can you say that nowadays?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyong Outstanding, 6 Jun 2007
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
What a relief to find a book that cuts through all the jargon, myth - making and nonsense that abounds today in the pscho - medical - counselling world. Chuck out your pills (sensibly if you are de medicating), cancel appointments with lousy therapists/wannabee counsellors and read Beyond Fear. It is truly a remarkable book written by a courageous woman who debunks all the rubbish that surrounds mental health issues, labelling and ego boosting methods designed also to meet the necessary targets.

I have a pschology degree, a counselling certificate, have been in therapy myself, searched out other self healing options, and within this context, still, am impressed with the depth and wisdom of Dorothy Rowe.

Thank you, and thank you again, for this excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Fear, 15 July 2011
Anthony "1trace" (Stafford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
A superb book from a superb human being - Dorothy Rowe is ranked among the 100 living geniuses in the world for the way she turned conventional thinking on its head. Read this and you will see why. It made me weep towards the end, such is her mammoth compassion for people who have been shunned. And all of it is based on pure, hard facts that she backs up - 'reveal your source' is one of her sayings. To be blunt, no one can really match her. She is one of the cleverest people in the world and also one of the least known, certainly at the level she operates at. That's a travesty, but then there is no bull with this woman and people would seemingly rather read or watch fiction (look how popular wrestling is). If you are in denial, living in fantasy land or yet to grow up, you will cross a threshold if you dare read this. You will also feel fulfilled. This is a Lord of the Rings of reality. Dorothy Rowe married once and vowed never to do it again. Read this and you will want to marry her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Fear, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Paperback)
A great book to help with understanding how we deal with fear and anxiety. Also how not managing fear can lead to a wide range disorders and difficulties in our lives. Some client cases used as examples. I found it easy to read and easy to understand. I borrowed a copy from a friend to read and found it so good I wanted a copy on my shelf to refer to in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dorothy Rowe tells it like it is!, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Beyond Fear (Kindle Edition)
This is a brilliant book about mental health. It is for people who suffer from their own mental distress or those who would like to help them. It is written in an easy style and makes so much sense. In it Dorothy explores why people become mentally distressed. She explains that it is not a chemical imbalance or genetic, rather a troubled life and experiences we are not equipped to deal with distressing us. Dorothy has written several books around depression all of which are worth a read. If you have always suspected that the chemical imbalance explanation of mental distress is pure pseudo science this is the book for you.

Beyond Fear
Beyond Fear by Dorothy Rowe (Paperback - 5 Mar 2007)
12.99