4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story, if nothing else...
Published on 2 Nov. 2007 by DevJohn01

2.0 out of 5 stars No Jodi Picoult...
This book was chosen as our book club read. The synopsis looked great and I was looking forward to starting it.

Published on 9 Aug. 2010 by The Little Bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story, if nothing else..., 2 Nov. 2007
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)
I must admit that although I agree with much of what the other reviewers have said about `FAMILY TREE' that I did enjoy it despite it's obvious flaws. The thing that made this story enjoyable was the concept, a child with clearly African-American traits born to a white couple with no knowledge of African roots on either side. The fact that `FAMILY TREE' is an easy to read novel where everything unfolds pretty quickly helps make the story all the more enjoyable.

Being that I myself am African-American, I am not sure how a white couple brought up a certain way would react to this particular situation and although I thought that many of their reactions, as well as those of their friends and family, were unbelievable I did think that Hugh's (the child's father) initial response was the most genuine. Although I disliked his character's behavior immensely after the birth of his daughter I am sure that many men in his situation would have reacted similarly in wanting a DNA test. However, it was the reactions of the people affected by the revelation of where the child's African-American traits came from that were the most outrageous to me. While most of me wanted to tell them to get a grip, part of me believes that there are people who would feel similarly and not know what to do with the knowledge that they were anything but 100% white.

Overall `FAMILY TREE' has an interesting plot line and is very easy to read and enjoyable to boot. Definitely a great book club selection, 4 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 12 Nov. 2009
Amazon Customer (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)
Loved this! Fantastic, captivating story involving real life situations and real people. I've read about cases of children being born with genes that are throwbacks to grandparents or futher - even recently, a set of twins! - which was what drew me to read this book. I felt that the characters were portrayed very realistically and I identified with Dana's emotions surrounding the accusations she received after giving birth. After all, how would you feel if you husband suddenly questioned the paternity of your child the day after you gave birth? At some points it annoyed me that she was blanking him but I did understand how terrible she must have felt. And as for Hugh's family - I can't say that I identified with them and I was shocked at their attitude towards having a mixed race family, but I am aware that there are people like this, even in the 21st century where we claim to be politically correct and embrace multi-ethnic communities. Last year I was in a high school Business Management class with a regular, working-class girl who has said that we should send all the "black people" back to "their" countries. I don't believe - as reviewers on other websites have claimed - that Hugh's entire family was a massive stereotype. People do still behave like this today. We need to wake up and notice the prejudice that still exists in our society.
All in all, I enjoyed this book and didn't want to put it down. It was well written with interesting subplots and reminded me of Jodi Picoult's work - except I'd say that this was a lot easier to read and not quite as complex. An excellent book about modern-day prejudice. I'll definitely be reading more Delinsky novels.

2.0 out of 5 stars No Jodi Picoult..., 9 Aug. 2010
The Little Bookworm "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)

I was very disappointed. A flat story, with characters I really couldn't have cared less about. Dana was pathetic - if that had happened to you, you'd be a lot more shocked than she was. Hugh was weak and ignorant and I could have slapped him. Ethan was just a bigot. And the rest of the characters were just wishy-washy.

The mini plots (the garden mom and Dana's grandad) added nothing to the story. They were just pointless side-plots.

I found the whole thing to be just ok. I managed to finish it, however the ending didn't leave me feeling very satisfied. I get the feeling Delinsky is trying to be the next Jodi Picoult, the problem being, Picoult does it MUCH better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, 24 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)
I read this book within 2 days. Couldn't put it aside. The author has written the story in such an interesting way, I wanted to read and read and read more...
This book has you thinking how you and your own family would react if you are a white couple and have a black baby. My boyfriend's friend went through a similar situation when it turned out that the mother's grandmother had also an affair with a black man. This really is a great book. I recommend it to all!

5.0 out of 5 stars An unput downable book, 9 Dec. 2007
Gordon Craig "An avid reader" (Great Yarmouth, Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)
The book follows the story of a female child born to an apparently white American couple. The baby is part coloured. The child's mother had no knowledge of her father's identity or colour so'it must be her family where there is coloured blood.
This was a good book enjoyed by myself and my wife. It should probably be required reading for any American couple looking forward to the birth of a baby.By some three quarters of the way through it appeared that things were going to work out for the families concerned but there were major unexpected events to unfold. There were a few unanswered questions at the end leaving the reader to wonder what eventually happened.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm and heartfelt, 17 Jun. 2008
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)
This story follows a couple who have their first baby. The couple are white but the baby is born black. Obviously, this raises all sorts of questions within the families. The baby's Mother has little knowledge about her father so it is easily assumed that he must have had African roots. You follow the characters on a journey where they learn about themselves. The baby's Mother finds her birth father and the baby's father (Hugh) shocks himself with his reaction to having a black daughter. Hugh starts to revaluate his relationship with his black neighbour and questions some of the things his family has taught him. A few unexpected events unfold but you are left with a few questions. Overall, I thought it was a very enjoyable book and I would recommend it as a though provoking story.

1.0 out of 5 stars No, No, No!, 19 May 2015
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)
I'm annoyed at myself because the one thing I hate doing is abandoning a book halfway through. With this, I had no choice - it was ridiculous. At first it seemed promising - white couple gives birth to black baby. Shock, horror, scandal. My first initial thought was" okay so the mother had an affair". Wrong.

What followed was this terrible and borderline offensive nonsense about family heritage and DNA and "but how can this be? I don't have black family" etc etc. Enter this boring, not to mention unnecessary back story about KNITTING and I had to keep asking myself why I was bothering.

I still don't know why that baby was born black. I don't care either. This is the 2nd Barbara Delinsky book I have given up on - I really don't think she's my cup of tea.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down..., 21 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The Family Tree (Paperback)
I'm a writer myself. I'm a writer of interracial drama and have a series online. I needed a break and out shopping, wondered through a book store as I usually do and saw this book after a half an hour of browsing. I've never read anything by Barbara Delinsky - but I'd heard about this book and snatched it up. From the moment I began reading it - I could not put it down. I dare not go too much into detail but know that it held my attention so, that I hadn't been able to write or work until I finish it. I've read good reviews on it and some bad ones. As for me, the book store I bought it from allows book exchanging - emmmm, I'm thinking I'll be keeping this one.

Brilliant read!!!
M. Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, thought-provoking book, 20 July 2011
This review is from: The Family Tree (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book, well worth the read. The writing was exquisite and the story was very good. Keeps you guessing, and wondering about your own family's past, throughout. Very believable characters who you find yourself pulling for right to the very end. I could say more, but don't want to spoil it for other readers. All I will say is BUY THIS BOOK and be prepared to put aside anything else you're doing whilst you're reading it! I read it in a day.

Well done to the author for producing such a thought-provoking book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Family Tree (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be a gripping read. I must admit that I was a bit surprised that Dana didn't just punch Hugh - but she is portrayed as laid-back so maybe that's why. I thought the characters were well-drawn. And Eaton! What a dreadful chap he was!

This would be a great book for book groups as there's a lot to discuss and it's the sort of story that could bring out interesting views.

Happy to recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Family Tree
The Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky (Paperback - 5 Nov. 2007)