5.0 out of 5 stars Blind Eye - Stuart MacBride
I've been counting down the days to the release of the next book in the DS Logan McRae series and it's been worth it. Dark, gritty, fantastic characterisation with humour that despite the horrors going on make you laugh out loud.
Once again this is fast paced but the plot flows so smoothly and is so well written that MacBride makes it all seem so effortless.
Set...
Published on 10 May 2009 by S. Lloyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Jumping the shark?
I enjoyed Macbride's previous novels, but for me this is a disorganised mess that got perilously close to `jumping the shark' (for those unfamiliar with the term, it means an outrageous plot sequence that removes all credibility from subsequent offerings). Macbride needs to reign himself in, and get back to the basics that were so good in earlier novels.

The...
Published on 13 July 2009 by bloodsimple

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars No more for me, 24 May 2009
Thomas Downs (Brisbane, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye (Hardcover)
Stuart MacBride seems to be heading rapidly downmarket. I enjoyed his first three novels, but this one, like his previous one, has lots of gruesome and gory detail. I wouldn't have a problem with that if the plot and the storytelling maintained a standard similar to that achieved in the early novels. But in this one the plot is a real hotchpotch with extra ingredients continually being thrown in to keep the pot boiling.
The character of DI Steel is becoming less and less credible for a senior police officer and her dialogue with DS McRae, though often amusing, is also frequently trite and unfunny in this story. The weaker material should have been edited out.
And towards the end, the main villain makes an unbelievable decision amidst a confused morass of events that hardly constitute a climax.
I got no feeling of satisfaction when I came to the end and I suspect this will be the last novel I read by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Jan 2011
My first foray into Stuart MacBride's novels was 'Flesh House' and I enjoyed it so much I gave it a 5. I was therefore really looking forward to my next read. How disappointed was I! Blind Eye has a ludicrous plot which I found hard to follow and his characters have become caricatures. Where the previous book had sharp, black humour this one has descended into farce and pantomine.

In fact it irritated me so much that I stopped reading after about two thirds through. Life is too short to read books you don't enjoy

2.0 out of 5 stars Carry on Crime in Aberdeen, 10 Sep 2010
It seems MacBride has tried a new genre filed somewhere between Comedy and Crime. It doesn't work. There are too many farcical mishaps with DS McRae and DI Steel has emerged to be a joke. Unfortunately because of this, the crime thriller cannot be taken seriously. The novel was also too long for a somewhat straightforward tale of a series of Polish victims being blinded in Aberdeen. I had enjoyed Cold Granite and Dying Light,but the series has become more of a Carry-On Crime.

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly, 25 Feb 2010
This review is from: Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye (Hardcover)
I'm quite frankly staggered by the amount of glowing tributes to this book and its author. Having read the previous four, and seen the decline in standard that arose with Flesh House, I was hopeful that this one would mark a return to the form of the first three. How disappointing to find out that the opposite is in fact the case. I'm not even convinced that this one was actually written by MacBride, it's that bad. It's as though he had an idea for a story, but couldn't be bothered writing it, so he offered it to a fourteen year-old to write instead. That is the level of the humour here. Yes, there are touches of the gruesome plotting that has stood out in the previous offerings, but the characterisation has just become ridiculous. McRae, Steel and Rennie have become so unbelievable, so caricatured, that any semblance of decent story-telling is lost in the sheer silliness of the "banter" between them, especially McRae and Steel.

Stuart MacBride has proved he can do the gritty police procedural with darkly comic elements - you only have to read the first three in this series to realise that - but this one does not fit the bill. I discovered him through a recommendation from a staff member at my local Waterstones, having asked what else might someone who enjoys Brookmyre/Hiaasen/etc try (his other recommendation was Mark Billingham - now there's a man who can maintain the standard). For a while I was grateful for the nod; now I think I will leave alone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this a commedy., 11 Jun 2009
This review is from: Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye (Hardcover)
Oh how I agree with Gaz, I thought it was only me.

There was a very strong story line, but my enjoyment was decimated by the so called commedy - I was not sure if I was reading a crime triller or "the Keystone Cops". And as for the sperm donor side-story I would have done without it altogether. How could any police officer manage to do any work when they were three sheets to the wind most of the time?

A good read spoiled by too many attempts at commedy.

3.0 out of 5 stars blind eye, 11 Jun 2009
This review is from: Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye (Hardcover)
ok for light reading but no depth to the characters in the end one could'nt care what happened to any of them

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant thriller from Mr. Macbride, 16 May 2009
Markus Ronald "Ronnie" (Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye (Hardcover)
Mr. Macbride just never disappoints. His fifth novel to date and as they are all stand-alones, you can read them in any order. Living in the Middle East, we are very short on good fiction here. I received the book three days ago and sadly i have finished it today and i will have to wait till 2010 before the next one comes out.

Why buy this book? well it's just good, very very good ! From page one it just flows and flows taut narrative, gut-churning incident, strong characterisation, and funny.The characters DS Logan McRae and D.I steel his lady boss are just wonderful. Even when D.I steel is ranting and raving drunk she is more than loveable.

And lastly, the story itself. Centred around the Polish in Aberdeen who are attacked and are unfortunate enough to have their eyes gouged out and sockets burnt. Sounds a bit gory, okay fair enough, but this is Mr Macbrides talent. He manages to combine gore and humor and turn it into a fantastic page turner.

KEEP EM COMING MR MACBRIDE !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Some excellent thriller elements but spoilt at times by ill-advised attempts at comedy, 25 May 2009
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye (Hardcover)
Five stars? Let me please introduce an air of reality to the reviewing process. I realise I'm going to be slaughtered for my summation but my title above says it all.

I've met Stuart MacBride and he's a truly lovely man: witty, charming, funny and urbane. Everything this book isn't in fact. I enjoyed his first three novels but thought his fourth - 'Flesh House' which had potentially brilliant ideas - was a confused mess.

It's a similar case here. DI Steel, Logan McRae's boss, is a grotesque caricature of Dickensian proportions and she is totally out of place in a thriller novel. She swears an awful lot, but as the saying has it, it's not big, not clever and it's very definitely NOT funny. Stuart seems to be equating profanity with wit.

As a policewoman she's utterly useless; all she does is spew forth a lot of macho (yes, I know she's a woman) cobblers, the likes of which was last heard issuing from the mouths of Jack Regan (John Thaw in 'The Sweeney') and Gene Hunt in 'Life on Mars' and 'Ashes to Ashes'. Only thing is Gene Hunt is MEANT to embody all that was bad and naff about 70s-80s British cops. She also spends a lot of time insulting fellow officers. Tedious? - Just a touch.

There's a terrible sub-plot (there are TOO many of these in the book) where DI Steel is after Logan McRae's sperm so she can inseminate her lesbian partner Susan, using a turkey baster. This device was last used to comic effect in 'Brookside' almost 20 years ago. DI Steel also hides a vital witness called Rory Simpson - an ageing paedophile - in the home she shares with Susan. Except, to be acceptable to her partner, she passes him off as gay. And of course he camps it up for her benefit. It's complete tosh, being both utterly lame, and incredibly lazy writing. 'Carry-On' level humour in fact.

Oh, and Steel starts up a swear box and keeps feeding it money before going off on yet another foul-mouthed tirade. This is meant to be funny, believe it or not. Need I go on detailing every boring comedy cliché in the book?

I hope I've established that it's not in the slightest bit amusing and that the humour possesses no originality or subtlety.

Alright, I've concentrated on the negative aspects - what about the positive? Luckily there are enough of these in 'Blind Eye': MacBride is capable of being REALLY chilling, and there's an incredibly frightening, gory scene in here that really hits home. There're a couple of other excellent sub-plots and when McRae goes to Poland to chase-up a line on the case, there is some superbly atmospheric and gripping writing.

The serial eye-gouger-outer and his terrifying henchman are also very well drawn - if not 100% believable.

Overall, the excellent aspects of the novel and the ludicrous attempts at 'comedy' just about balance each other out and it emerges as a decent, if overlong, read. I struggled through it at times, but was glad I persevered. It's definitely better than 'Flesh House'.

However, I won't be prepared to slog through another convoluted, over-long book like this again. If it had been Stuart's first novel, or I hadn't previously been a fan, I would have chucked this out the window after six or seven chapters and encouraged the pigeons to defecate on it.

Stuart, I believe you have enormous potential as a crime thriller writer, but you really need to tone down the often teeth-grindingly awful attempts at comedy. Somewhere in this 500-and odd page behemoth, is a fantastic, slick 300 page thriller waiting to be released. Remember the old adage: sometimes less is more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blind Eye is another Blinder from MacBride, 25 May 2009
D. M. Bennett (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye (Hardcover)
This is the latest in the series of books about Grampian's Detective Sergeant Logan MacRae. After the previous books I have long awaited this publication and was not disappointed. The plot follows gruesome attacks on Aberdeen's polish community. Initially these seem to be the work of a fanatic who has a pathological hatred of Polish people but turns out to be a throw back to the era of Soviet oppression. The fast and furious plot makes this another compelling and thoroughly enjoyable read. There are some minor points of confusion between the roles of psychiatrist and psychologist and the use of mental health law for those accused of offences but that is a rather pedantic criticism of an otherwise excellent novel. I look forward to the next in the series. Stuart MacBride seems to be fast establishing himself as a premier league crime writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 7 July 2014
Another tense and fast paced novel from Stuart MacBride. i love this whole series

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye
Logan McRae (5) - Blind Eye by Stuart MacBride (Hardcover - 30 April 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01