5.0 out of 5 stars I loved The Love of Her Life
I had this on pre-order from Amazon as I'd loved GOING HOME and HOPELESS ROMANTIC, but this is definitely Harriet Evans's best novel yet. It's as witty and warm as her debut, as romantic as her second, but somehow this is more accomplished and grown-up. I even cried.

Kate is living in New York & running from her past. Something made her flee her former life...
Published on 7 July 2008 by Nancy

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too long and self-indulgent
Don't get me wrong, this book is well-written. But it's boring as anything. I could hardly get through it, and I am a very enthusiastic reader in general.

Published on 14 Mar 2009 by Amy Snowe

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Love of her Life, 13 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
I have read Harriet Evan's other two books and enjoyed them so I was really looking forward to this one. I was not disappointed and read this one in two days as I just could not put it down!
The central character is Kate Miller who has lived in New York for the past three years, however, she has to return to London to see her father who is very ill. By returning she has to face up to everything and everyone that she ran away from. It is ultimately a story of love and friendship, it explores the bonds that we create with people and how love and true friendship can stand most tests of life.
Evans is very good at drawing you in with little snippets of information so that you keep turning the pages to get more. This was a very good story, very poignant in places but also extremely light hearted. I would recommend this and any other of Harriet Evan's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE best book I've read for a long time!!!, 5 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
I have just finished reading 'The Love of her Life' and I cannot believe how great it was! Its the first novel i've read by Harriet Evans...and can't wait to read more!
As soon as I started reading, I could't put it down..I think I finished it in about 5 days!
I loved how the book kept you on edge, wanting to read more and wanting to find out what happened to Kate's relationships with her friends...and I loved the switch from past to present!
I was in shock when certain parts of the story were revealed...and cried when it all fully un-ravelled :0(
All in all, this is one of the best books I have read for a long time...and have already promised to lend it to several friends!
The only thing left for this book...is for it to be made into a chick flick!! THE perfect girly film!! Come on Hollywood...sign this book up!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Her best one yet, 5 Feb 2009
Sue (hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
I really, really enjoyed this and thought it was one of the best chick-lit books I've read for a while. The story line kept me wondering for a long time which way it was going to go and didn't disappoint. Roll on Harriet's next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended read, 26 July 2009
Amazon Customer (The Hague, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
I have a bit of a love affair going on with Harriet Evans's novels, and this one is yet another winner. Very well written, great characters and the mystery that will have you go "whaaaaaaaaaaat? NO way!!" at one point. As you are reading, different pieces of the puzzle are being revealed, and I actually found myself going back to earlier sections to remind myself of the details.
This book, as only few before, have made me smile with joy, but also cry with pain at one point, and you can't help but hope that Katy will finally get together with the man who is the love of her life, as they are soooo good together!
I still LOVE "Going Home" (must be the case of a very bad first love I guess) but this one is just as brilliant!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too long and self-indulgent, 14 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)

The main character, Kate, was completely unlikeable, and self-absorbed. I've read all this author's books, and ALL her characters are treated with kid gloves by the other (good) characters, who all behave as though the heroine is the only person in the world to ever have gone through some kind of pain or emotional trauma, and her distress is always the most acute and awful thing ever. Gimme a break!!

The other thing that annoyed me was that this wasn't a straightforward novel but instead like 80% of the book was like flashbacks going back and forward in time. It was dull, so endlessly dull.

Other people seem to like it, but for me this wasn't as good as 'A Hopeless Romantic'.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyed, 21 Jun 2014
Mrs Natasha S Wylde (Cambridge, England UK) - See all my reviews
Quite a nice change although quite choppy with the back and forth flashbacks of the main character. Some good twists but predictable end

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down and couldn't wait to find out what had happened to Kate. I have read two other books by Harriet Evans and liked this one as much as the others>

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 13 May 2014
Janbie (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Love of Her Life (Paperback)
This was the second book I'd read by Harriet Evans and I loved it even more than the first ("Hopeless Romantic"). It was one of those books you don't want to end but can't put down. I loved the story and the characters and the descriptions of London made it come alive even more. I think the cover is deceiving, you'd expect it to be an easily read, soon forgotten chick lit book but it's got a lot of depth. I felt the main character's pain and had many a lump in my throat! Have ordered more by the author and hoping they are all as good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not create any interest, 3 May 2014
The book is extremely boring and fails to progress do to lack of a story-line, had to give up after Chapter 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Dec 2013
I really enjoyed this book, it was so hard to put it down as I kept wanting to know what happened next. I gave the book 4stars because the ending was so disappointing. It seemed rushed, the final chapter should have been an epilogue and there should have been a proper final chapter. That's the main thing that let the book down, especially as Kate's decisions regarding Mac was so annoying, I would have been interested to know how the ending came about.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Love of Her Life
The Love of Her Life by Harriet Evans (Paperback - 1 July 2008)