Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2014
I was put off at first by the diagrams which seemed to labour the point and I put the book down. I had another go by dipping in about a third of the way through and found it so sensitively perceptive with a sense of fun I was intrigued. I loved the way Alexander Masters allows Simon space to be, takes the hits on the chin and lets us into his world of writing a biography of a living person. At times it seems an impossible task, such a challenge but he is so in tune with his subject that I found myself drawn to both of them. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in complex relationships as well as the mathematical contortions. I didn't want it to end.
on 4 April 2014
More about genius and people's perceptions as to what a genius is than about maths. Very little maths and what there is is explained very clearly. The book is about Simon Norton who when he was young (in his teens) was a truly spectacular mathematician. The final part of the book where the author tries to explain Simon's current position in the world of maths is well worth waiting for. Well worth a read.
on 19 May 2016
Very funny, sensitive and endearing biography.
on 3 April 2015
Not read yet, saving for travel.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse