5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant For Ideas
Published on 27 May 2008 by Mrs. D. Turner

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok at best
This is my first review, just because I was so disappointed
I have many a introductory manga books already, Thinking of adding something new to my collection.
I thought, this was one of the most popular books bought on amazon (in how to draw manga sections), and when my book
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by R. Paterson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant For Ideas, 27 May 2008
This review is from: The Monster Book of Manga (Paperback)
A lot of people discuss the fact that the book only looks at a certain character type once, however I think that this book is brilliant for poses and great for the stereotypical characters of manga. The book is sorted into step-by-step guide: starting with a basic line drawing using shapes then going on to filling out the arms and legs, an underwear pose and finishing with lineart then photoshopped showing you where the light source is coming from. I have a lot of books on drawing manga and I feel that this is the best for helping people to understand the steps and allowing you to make your own characters. The book is sorted into Girls, monsters, fantasy, music (such as Jrock, Jpop and other styles) and Japanese (samurai, ninja, geisha, princess etc.) The book can be used by both beginners and more improved manga artists, however if you are a beginner I would suggest getting a book on facial features as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Monster Book of Manga (Paperback)
I have many guides to drawing, mostly from the how to draw manga series. I'm happy with my collection as it is all great referrence material and has improved my art greatly but I've longed for a book I can work from in a step by step fashion. Now I have it. The Monster Book of Manga is simply fantastic, it's all step by step with helpful notes and a little photoshop tutorial at the end. Best of all is the size, it is a Monster Book and there are a wealth of drawings to go through the steps with. I've only just started following the steps and I can already feel I'm learning a process that will be able to bring my art together and allow me to consistently produce material of my own that I can be proud of. One thing must be mentioned; this is not for an absolute beginner, there are six steps that start with basic skeleton sketch through to full colour, so there you do have to piece some bits in yourself (it's okay for me as it's the initial steps I have trouble with, along with feet and hands, all of which I feel are covered quite well). Also, because there is so much in this book if you work your way through it with patience then you will certainly learn essential basics that can lead you onto more advanced techniques. I love this book after owning it only a couple of days and I love all the images inside of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The monster book of manga, 14 Sep 2008
L. Blackburn (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Monster Book of Manga (Paperback)
I found this book great for poses and step by step instruction, it also provides great tips about lighting and thing relevant to each character. I personally would probably not make use of the rather extensive selection of Monsters - fantasy and science fiction, however I still felt that this was a great buy - the section on girls at the front was great for improving the way I draw, and there is a fantastic section on Drawing Manga digitally at the back which I didn't even know about when purchasing the book, but is extremely useful - digital art is hard! The artist has an elegant line and a refreshingly cartoony style in comparison to "How to draw manga" books - but it is still too detailed to copy exactly in pencil. The tips are useful for development of original characters. It is great for the beginer manga artist as the step by step images are easy to copy and learn from, and become more complicated gradually.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok at best, 5 Oct 2009
R. Paterson (England) - See all my reviews
This is my first review, just because I was so disappointed
arrived today, I read through it all, Yes in a very short time, there isn't much written information at all.

The book doesn't describe how to draw people of both genders of different ages in detail, in fact.
It clearly points out the obvious.
In the very first section, it shows how the user sketched his designs (quickly, not really a point
in showing us it since you skipped so much information)
And it doesn't say about depth in posture, as there is no environment/background section.

What the book DOES show you is the writers own drawings he's made, and is telling you about them.
Although i must admit, for computer/digital drawing novices, The section at the back on that is rather good.
but small.

For people interested in buying this book, it shows no details or information about eyes, faces, hair, posture (other than
the ones they've drawn) environments, clothes and any manga publishing information (e.g. paneling and speech bubbles etc)

For 300 something pages, the book gives you 3 VERY short sentences (more like a phrase) about the picture itself, e.g. one could be as useless to know as 'school emblem'

This book is for copying the images they give you, doesnt give the user any freedom the look outside the box and develop your own style.
Not a book i'd recommend for any beginners.

Rated 2 stars because at least the pictures are well drawn and coloured.
'there are useful sections on anatomy'

.. Nope, not even a section.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful illustrations, 9 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Monster Book of Manga (Paperback)
i've bought a lot of manga books but this is definitely the best!
i've always prefered drawing girls and i noticed that most manga books are full of men but this one has a lovely selection of females ro draw. it includes sections on monsters, rock, fantasy, samurai and sci-fi all with colourful detailed illustrations! i'm only 13 and i think this book is great for anyone who is good at drawing but wants to improve, some of the drawings are quite difficult but others are really good for beginners.
i would definitely recommend this book, i was delighted when i got it.

megan xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Jan 2010
N. Sloper - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Monster Book of Manga (Paperback)
This book is really useful, each picture has a description, followed by step-by-step sketches. It's also got extra notes of how to 'intensify' and personalise your picture. At the very end it also has a HUGE chapter on how to use computer drawing/enhancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners, Intermediates, the curious, the talented and the Professionals alike, 19 Dec 2006
This book is richly illustrated and well guided. For me, as many other manga artists, to get a good style going, copying manga and picking up on and further developing techniques is one of the best ways to develop your own style. Also seeing what styles you like is essential. This book has plenty to entertain all, showing various styles of art and a huge variety of unique characters and drawings divided up into easy to read and understand sections. I got this book in a bookstore a lot more expensive than Amazon sells it here but i still thinks its worth every penny!

My favourite part of the book was the section at the back devoted to digital art. It has st4ep by step instructions on how to go about makign your manga art digitally from drawign to colouring using adobe photoshop in the example. However the features are pretty much the same for any decent graphics software so it will still apply.

I already knew how to draw and make manga and draw and make it well, yet i found this book extremely useful for reference, ideas, inspiration and i picked up on a lot of key things and little techniques which have all roundedly improved my style. Id recommend this to anyone interested in starting manga or at any level of creating it - this is a simply wonderful book for all artists out there! well worth its 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 15 April 2006
R. Thompson "Rae" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
Although I've been drawing manga for years this is the first book I have actually bought. The pictures are gorgeous, and much more detailed than any of the art I've found or tutorials I've followed online. There's a wide range of characters presented alongside the typical beautiful girls, including a whole section of non-humans.

One drawback is that the step-by-step guides are more like leap-by-leap, and it doesn't actually tell you how to draw, so maybe not suited to absolute beginners. But if you like to own beautiful books, definately buy this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as simple, 19 Jun 2009
Dagmar Caletkova "movie maniac" (Czech Republic) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Monster Book of Manga (Paperback)
I've bought this book for my daughter who loves manga and writes scripts for them. So I was hoping she could pass to the next stage by adding some images to hers stories.
This book is really awesome and we both like it very much, only it's not a step by step guide to drawing manga characters. Maybe for someone who already has some drawing skills and experiences. This is definitely not for beginners.
Still for a manga lover this book is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, 10 April 2009
This review is from: The Monster Book of Manga (Paperback)
I read a few of the reviews on this book before buying and was a little wary, as most of them stated the book should be used by people who are "advanced" at manga. Although I'm not a beginner, I didn't know if I would be able to handle this book. I'm so glad I bought it! I think every character in the book is in a different pose (which is brilliant if you're like me and get bored of having your character stood motionless) The book doesn't explain step by step basics, although it does have a few notes here and there which are helpful. It's great for references, I definitely recommend unless you're looking for step-by-step help on how to draw facial features, expressions or proportions.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Monster Book of Manga
The Monster Book of Manga by Estudio Joso (Paperback - 4 Sep 2006)
14.39