I purchased this New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) of the Bible because I wanted a cheap hard-copy version of the Apocrypha. (My preferred New International Version (NIV) does not include an Apocrypha.)

Published on 23 Jun 2008 by Chris Of The OT

3.0 out of 5 stars Personally I find the font a bit small
I am struggling to read this Collins NRSV without increased strength of my usual reading specs so I thought some extra information might help anyone else with less than perfect vision.
I am definitely no printing expert but having done a few experiments I believe the font used approximates to something around Times New Roman 9.0 to 9.5.
Published 16 months ago by Chris

4.0 out of 5 stars A good quality translation, comparatively cheap & well presented (Softback!), 23 Jun 2008
Chris Of The OT (South West of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Anglicised Cross-Reference edition (Bible Nrsv) (Hardcover)

I've never reviewed a Bible but, at the risk of suffering delusions of grandeur, I couldn't resist this one. If you're not familiar with the NRSV translation, a quick search within Amazon will turn up three or four titles which include Amazon's excellent `Search Inside' feature...

First, I have always gripped about buying modern, quality translations of the Bible because they're often expensive (though justifiably so). I bought a Zondervan NIV some time ago for a fiver, brand new from Amazon. I was dreadfully disappointed because I felt it was not `cheap and cheerful', it was `cheap and nasty'. It has a horrid "leatherette" (cornflake box cardboard) cover and, more importantly, an unpleasantly small font which is very uncomfortable to read.

So spending a tenner on this (softback) one was a bit of a gamble... The overall presentation is much better than my other budget buy: the cover is still thin cardboard, but it's more flexible and doesn't pretend to be leather. The paper is much higher quality though - whiter, crisper, smoother and thinner - and the font is slightly larger. I tried to find which font it is but there is no information. I would still have preferred a larger font - if this NRSV is produced in 8 point, then 9 would be an improvement - but because the paper is whiter the text contrasts much better which makes for a more comfortable read. There is also a basic cross-referencing system in the centre margin.

I went for the NRSV over the Revised Standard Version (RSV) because the NRSV uses sub-headings within the text (like the NIV) which really helps divide the text into digestible chunks and helps enormously with the context of each passage. The Apocrypha section, set appropriately between the Old and New Testaments, follows the same layout as the rest of the Bible, but I would have preferred a much more informative information page than the current five-sentence offering.

Still, it was the cheapest new NRSV I could find and it's a good quality product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Personally I find the font a bit small, 24 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Useful, 20 Mar 2014
This is a really good investment for leisurely reading or (like me) using it for studies. NRSV version I find the most understandable vocabulary while still being accurate to other versions such as the KJV

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Boble NRSV, 30 Jan 2012
W. Nti-nimako "WNN" (UK) - See all my reviews
Very fast delivery and the bible was exactly what I was I looking for. The hard cover is perfect and the fond size of the bible is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible - shame it was marked, 1 July 2014
I have been trying to get hold of a good NRVS Bible for some time and they were always either too expensive, too small a typeface, American versions....I decided to take a chance on this one and it just arrived (two days earlier than predicted).
It's a very nice Bible with a sturdy cover and removable dust jacket. The print is clear and large enough for me. I like the lay out very much - verses are clearly numbered and there are references down the centre of each page. The paper is quite thin which I like as it reminds me of my old Bible. All in all I am extremely happy.
My one gripe is that the bottom front corner is marked and the dust jacket damaged there too. This was not done in the post as it was securely inside an Amazon box which was intact. Shame about the damage but, as I need it for Bible studies this week, I will not be returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Bible, 19 Mar 2014
A. Collinge "ARTCOLL" (ST.CLEARS WALES) - See all my reviews
It was time I had a modern edition and the bible arrived in time for my reading on the following Sunday. The paper is thin so ,as I found, you have to be careful not to turn two pages at once!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I ordered.....but, 15 Dec 2013
M Sarson (Newbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was actually a good quality 19th century KJV, which I am happy to have anyway, not a NRSV as advertised

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 7 Sep 2013
I had hoped it might include a concordance, but on reviewing the description, it didn't. Otherwise, in pristine condition, absolutely fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Bible New English RVSV, 27 July 2013
Having in the past been used to using The King James Version. I enjoyed what I called the poetry of the language. However I like using this newer version, which is easier to understand, with clear print. As always Amazon delivered this when they said they
would