How We Met
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£6.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a story about a group of friends who are struggling to deal with the unexpected death of Liv. They are all finding it hard to move on with their lives and to deal with their grief. Her boyfriend Fraser is trying to cope without her and to start a new relationship, but has he found the right woman. Mia is trying to cope as a single mum with young son Billy, should she get back together with Billy's father Eduardo? Melody and Norm who have always seemed the perfect couple are now facing cracks in their relationship. The last member of the group Anna is seeking spiritual comfort. As they all try to find ways to carry on without Liv to hold the group together they decide to complete a list she made of things she would like to do before she turned 30. As they try to complete the tasks and as Liv's 30th birthday draws closer they have to face up to things in their lives and to decide what is really important. This is a good read with some interesting characters and I recommend it.
on 24 February 2013
Grabbed this book at the airport following a recommendation in ASOS magazine. Could instantly relate to the characters and plot having been through a similarly traumatic situation with my group of friends in our post-college years. Having read the Q&A with Katy at the end of the book, I was surprised to hear that it had not been her experience that sparked the idea but a strong intrigue to explore these feelings. I found it to be very insightful of the types of emotions it can evoke with a good mix of light-hearted relief from the characters that made me laugh out loud at times. I spent the holiday glued to it and it made me want to be close my friends each time I put it down. Would wholeheartedly recommend.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When Liv, part of a group of friends approaching the big 30 dies, unexpectedly whilst they are all on holiday in Ibiza, for all of the group, from Fergus her boyfriend and Mia her best friend, life is never going to be the same. Whilst they tackle "The List" that their friend left of things to do before she was 30, Fergus, Mia, Anna, and married couple Norman and Melody will find themselves taken to places they never imagined as they come to terms with her death but also re-examine their own lives.

I found this book quite entertaining, and for me the setting of Lancaster as the place the friends met and spent their student days was interesting as it's a place I know well, the action went between London and Lancaster and there were lots of flashbacks to their student days so that you could understand how things turned out the way they did. The characters were believable and likeable in the main; reading the book you definitely feel like you want to be one of their gang!

Probably like many I remember her column about being a single parent in Marie-Claire which I much enjoyed; I shall definitely be looking out for more from this author. There were some real laugh out loud moments, it's a light and entertaining read, even if the ending is somewhat predictable you can enjoy the ride. Recommended.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Olivia died young - too young - leaving behind a group of friends bereft at their loss. Single mum Mia, Liv's best mate, is finding it hard to move on and wishes Liv was around to give her advice. Fraser, Liv's boyfriend before she died, is also struggling, in a job he doesn't love and with a new accidental girlfriend who isn't his type. Norm and Melody are arguing and Anna seems to have gone off the rails.

As a salute to their much-missed friend, Mia, Fraser and the others decide to complete Liv's 'Things to do before I'm 30' list that was left unfinished, but things don't go quite as planned...

I really enjoyed reading this book - it's one of those novels you find yourself completely immersed in, and I rooted for all the characters as they came to terms with their bereavement. Katy Regan writes with real warmth and humour, and I will definitely look out for her other books in the future.
on 27 February 2013
When someone dies in young adulthood, the memory of them can cast a shadow over those they leave behind. While Liv is frozen in time everyone in her friendship group has to carry on, and the story of how they make a mess of things is funny, entertaining, sad and thoughtful. There are moments that feel very real and characters you can believe in. Life isn't neat and cosy, and neither is this book, which for me came as a great relief.
on 19 February 2013
how we met is just amazing. It is full of everything you could want in a book. A rollercoaster of emotions laughing out loud and tears and sheer joy. I would recommend it to anyone and can not wait for the next book by the fab author (hurry up and write another book). Katy Regan is now in my top author list.
buy the book people it is worth every penny.
on 23 April 2013
I loved this book. Katy Regan's characters are well-written and refreshingly flawed and, while my age shouldn't really factor into my review, as someone who is also approaching 30, I can't help but draw parallels with my own life and those of my friends. Weirdly, I wasn't a massive fan of Liv, whose death the novel revolves around. While she seemed likeable enough, I think she is described in the martyred the way anyone would talk about someone who has recently left their lives - like a perfect person with no negative qualities. Every description of her is glowing, and I guess this is testament to the skill that Katy writes with. She has taken the very human quality of romanticising the way someone was and infused it with the very messed up friends that Liv has left behind, thus emphasising the resulting fallout - both as individuals and as a friendship group - after her death.
I know a lot of reviewers disliked Fraser, but I personally think his actions are very real. He isn't meant to be likeable, he's meant to be this confused, mixed-up mess of a man who spirals through the complex web of despair, grief and guilt. His misguided relationship with the dolphin-nailed barmaid is just a symptom of this mashed-up combination of feelings and the way he treats Mia - even at the end - I felt was believable.
While Norm, Melody and Anna were interesting background figures - and I have to admit I did get really annoyed with Anna at one point! - I think I would have been content with following just Mia and Fraser, for Mia is possibly one of the most likeable characters I have come across in a long time. Sweet and as equally misguided as Fraser, Mia is just adorable. Her relationship with Eduardo is handled in a way that made me wince with recognition and, while her decisions are not that different to the ones Fraser makes, she handles everything in a much less manic way. She is softer, less selfish than Fraser and it is interesting to see how the two of them handle the same circumstances.
The end of the novel made me especially sad. It is true that, no matter how much we want to do things in life, it is rare that we get the opportunity to do them - and it is also true that we are often too busy living life to actually tick off the things on our lists. Very thought-provoking stuff, Katy Regan!
on 3 March 2013
I've been a fan of Katy Regan's for quite some time now and her latest book is another fine example of her ability to get you hooked right from the first page. It's another easy read, one you can easily get through in just a couple of sittings. It will have you laughing out loud despite the rather morbid context of the book.

I've read Katy's other books but I think this one really shows her true abilities as a writer. She's moved on from the traditional Romantic Comedy and has shown hidden depths in "How We Met." The plot is intriguing and tackles a more sinister topic, the death of a friend, and the impact it has on the circle of friends left behind.

We can surely all relate to the characters - Mia, a single Mum struggling to come to terms with motherhood and the death of her friend; Fraser the boyfriend, who struggles to keep it together and turns to women and booze to get him through. The rock solid couple who aren't quite so together after all, and Anna, who seems to have turned to the spiritual world to get her through the grief.

Don't let the subject matter of a death put you off - You'll be pleasantly surprised by the humour in this novel as the group try to complete Liv's dying wish list - A list of "Must Do's" before you turn 30.

I'd recommend this book to anyone in their late 20's or early 30's as then you'll totally get this book and its characters. A perfect holiday read or one to chuckle to yourself on the tube or train to work.

Loved it! Hope the next book is coming soon.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had never read a book by Katy Regan before, though I have heard positive things about her books, so I was quite looking forward to starting How We Met. I must say, the description really intrigued me, I wondered how a group of friends would cope with the loss of one of their team, so to speak. How would they each deal with their grief? Would some be hit by the loss harder than others? How would they cope and move on?

In How We Met, a group of friends are enjoying life, freedom, and dreaming of their future. But suddenly and unexpectedly Liv dies, and with one vital member of the group missing, everything stops as they all struggle to deal with the loss of their friend. As they try to cope with their grief in different ways, they stumble upon Liv's List, and decide to fulfil every item on it in a tribute to her.

How We Met was a brilliantly written book which I thoroughly enjoyed. I found there was a lot of raw emotion in the book, and as I read the story I went through a range of emotions with the characters. I felt sad as I read about their grief and heartache, cheered on the characters when they pulled together to support each other, and smiled at the humour in the book.

The friendships between each of the characters were very well written. What I liked most was that they were real friendships, there was a lot of emotion in the relationships they had with each other and there were not only ups but also downs in the friendships, which made it authentic and very true to life. It was so very interesting to read about the development of the friendships between the characters, how they evolved and how friendships change over time. I think most readers will relate to this, as friendships do change, and sadly sometimes friendships are lost, but more positively, sometimes they are strengthened too.

This book reminded me about just how precious life is. I liked that How We Met had an important underlying message, to cherish the time you have, to live your life whilst you still can and to love others.

How We Met is an emotional book, with very relateable characters. It has the right mix of humour and moving moments, and will leave you thinking about your friendships long after you have turned the last page. Very thought-provoking.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When Liv dies, she leaves behind five friends who are faced with the task of carrying on.
But how do you carry on when everything you know has changed?

Holding on to the memory of their loved one, the gang are surprised when Liv's `Things to do before I'm 30′ list surfaces, in what seems to be a fitting tribute to Liv, the group decide they will complete the list in her honour.

Following that piece of paper is going to change their lives more than they will ever know and soon they will realise that when they lost her, they lost themselves too!

Five friends, five lives, one loss that will connect them forever.

Katy Regan shares with us this beautifully written story that has so much depth and meaning I feel I should be issuing it out to everyone, its a life lesson in a book. LIVE FOR TODAY, BECAUSE WHO KNOWS IF THERE WILL BE A TOMORROW!

I felt like I travelled with all the characters as they learnt to live their life without Liv and their new role within their group.

All the characters pulled on my heart strings but I felt the most for Melody, With her it really is what you see is what you get.

And the character that shocked me the most was Anna, I had an idea as to what her problem was but never the depth with which she felt it.

But the character that I felt put the book into perspective was Mrs Durham, she shows that know matter what your age, you should still live life, love life and make the most of what you have.

I cannot recommend this book enough. A heart felt read about friendship, loss, love and life!