5.0 out of 5 stars A dream publication - Sheer quality
This publication just oozes quality from the high definition colour photography to the research and layout. I have several reference books relating to British trees and this one stands tall above all the others. The number of quality colour photographs is staggering.

If you are seeking a complete reference this book does exactly what it says on the cover, if I...
Published on 10 April 2008 by Colin Riddell

3.0 out of 5 stars I Cannot See The Wood for The Trees
It is my fault. The book is good but it has not given me the results I wanted - yet.
A basic way of identifying a tree is by looking at a leaf from each specimen. This is darned obvious in spring or summer (when the leaves are out on every tree) but in autumn and winter it is a tad harder with the deciduous variety. I wanted to be able to walk past a tree and think,...
Published 17 days ago by Pete

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent paperback reference book., 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: British Trees: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide) (Paperback)
As most of the other reviews attest, a wonderful reference book packed with many photographs and pictures to help in identifying trees. Each page has several pictures to help with the identification - leaves, bark, blossoms etc.
It is a great book and the only reason I have knocked one star off is that it would be so much better as a hardback. It is a very weighty paperback that does unfortunately feel as if the pages would start to come away from the spine if one opened the pages out fully. Nevertheless a very useful reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! This book has given me a new hobby!, 12 Oct 2011
Being a bit of a weekend rambler I have always yearned to be able to identify the trees I see as I go on my walks. Eventually I decided to do something about it. However, after struggling with two field guides from well known book companies and having limited success in trying to identify trees I was becoming rather disconsolate with my efforts and thought I would never get to be any good at it, largely because the real trees I saw didn't seem to match the illustrations in the books.
However, while browsing on this site one day I saw mention of 'The Collins Complete Guide to British Trees' and its rave reviews, so I bought it.
Wow...it has completely transformed my walks and my enjoyment of trees and over the course of this last summer I have broadened my knowledge and abilities to a degree I would never have imagined possible! I now wander through our local farmland and ancient forest reciting the names (and varieties!) of the trees just as I see them. I greet familiar 'sessile oaks' and 'buckeyes' like old friends as I pass them in the car and I have a favourite 'beech' which once sheltered me in a downpour. I smile fondly when I recall identifying my first 'spindlewood' tree, and I remember my excitement when I first encountered the 'wild service tree'.
If you have an interest in identifying trees but, like me you have struggled, I strongly suggest you buy this book. The layout is simple, English names are used, and the pictures really do resemble the trees and leaves as you see them out in the wild. You will be learning and identifying in no time!
This book has given me a wonderful new hobby and transformed my understanding of the countryside I see around me. Fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars tree book, 30 April 2012
absolutely fantastic book. You will need no other tree guide. A delight to browse and hold. You will soon start to recognise trees on your walks, your land and in the parks. Don't buy anything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Info on British Trees, 28 Oct 2011
I read some great reviews on this book before I bought it and I'm not disappointed.
Easy to read, good size to take out and about, photos are perfect and the layout is well thought through.

I was also impressed by the speed of delivery and quality of this nearly new book.

5.0 out of 5 stars tree book, 8 Oct 2011
if u cant make sence of the other books get this one as the photos in the book and the realy good layout make it easer to tell the trees i brought 5 other books before this one and this was the right one

5.0 out of 5 stars Carried everywhere, 28 Jun 2010
On a list of books requested by my son, who studying tree surgery, is keen to read anything relating to trees and their habitats. Collins Complete Guide to British Trees, although not a mini book, is carried everywhere by my son. He finds it a reliable resource for identifying trees. Extensive photos of trees, with bark, leaf and seeds, aids the arborist to gain all round knowledge of British trees.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference source for the need to know now!, 26 May 2009
Mr. J. Brown (Scotland) - See all my reviews
A comprehensive and easy to use little book that is likely to become indispensable on country walks/rambles/anytime you need to identify a tree. Pictures are clear, well labelled and supplementary information is concise and readily assimable. Great Book - get one now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Guide, 11 Sep 2010
I've got a number of tree books and this one beats them all for its thoroughness. The masses of photos allow you to see the subtle differences in leaves, bark and overall appearance of similar trees that is often lost with illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Identifying your local trees, 29 Jun 2013
Very good pictures and text. Good help with identifying local species. Pictures large enough to compare with actual leaves. Very good home book but a little too big to take out with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good book, 11 Mar 2013
If you want to learn more about trees and which leaves go with which tree this book is great, it is small enough to take out on a woodland ramble, but it is not a pocket book, so is is large enough that you can actually see the photographs and identify the leaf's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›