5.0 out of 5 stars A dream publication - Sheer quality
This publication just oozes quality from the high definition colour photography to the research and layout. I have several reference books relating to British trees and this one stands tall above all the others. The number of quality colour photographs is staggering.

Published on 10 April 2008 by Colin Riddell

3.0 out of 5 stars I Cannot See The Wood for The Trees
It is my fault. The book is good but it has not given me the results I wanted - yet.
A basic way of identifying a tree is by looking at a leaf from each specimen. This is darned obvious in spring or summer (when the leaves are out on every tree) but in autumn and winter it is a tad harder with the deciduous variety. I wanted to be able to walk past a tree and think,...
Published 3 months ago by Pete

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream publication - Sheer quality, 10 April 2008
Colin Riddell (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Trees: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide) (Paperback)

If you are seeking a complete reference this book does exactly what it says on the cover, if I could have given it six stars I would have.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one, 21 April 2009
A. Byrnes "Andie" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is easily the best book on trees that I have found, and I've tried several. I am very much a tree novice. I maintain a blog that charts the weekly progress of the small woodland and ecological park next to my home. I've been doing well with birds, insects and flowers but have floundered hopelessly when trying to identify trees and shrubs. I have purchaed several books but they have all left me pretty much where I started - dazed and confused. This book is the one. It opened up the whole subject for me and I am now happily identifying and learning about my local trees and shrubs with great confidence.

As well as the pages which focus on idenifying and describing the different species (pages 68 - 312) the openeing chapters deal with a range of fascinating and related topics (pages 4 -68). I found these to be of considerable interest and help. Pf particular use were "Basic Tree Biology", "Identifying Trees", "The Ecology of Trees and Woodland", "Winter Twig", "Comparing leaves" and "Comparing bark".

The descriptive pages are invaluable and easy to use. The left hand page of each pair of pages shows leaves and fruit details and a textual description, whilst teh right hand page is a selection of photographs showing key diagnostic features. These are not the same for all trees, because one feature may be more distinctive on one than another. As well as detailed photographs of leaves and fruit other features highlighted are flowers, bark, general outline of the tree/shrub and sometimes insects and fungi that may be associated.

On pages 64-65 there is a "Places to Visit" list, with web addresses, listing natural woodlands and arboreta that the enthusiast might like to visit. There is a map on the page to show approximate locations.

At the end there is a single index where species can be search by both common and latin names.

This is a superb book. The build is excellent, the pages are glossy, the photography is top quality and it simply yells professionalism.

Both enjoyable and useful, this is by far the best book on the subject that I have found so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing ID Book, 23 Jun 2010
As a horticultural student I find this book amazing. There are clear photos and pictures of the leaves of each tree, there are winter twigs, leaf shapes and bark comparisons. There are photos of cones and seeds and then photos of the trees themselves.

This book covers a large range of indigenous tress including broadleaf and conifers and with some named cultivars mentioned too. I find it invaluable as an ID aid and would highly recommend it to any student needing to be able to learn about and recognise trees in the UK, compared to a lot of tree books that don't contain half as much detail or only have drawn pictures. It also quite comapct and can be taken out in the field to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 25 April 2008
J. Campbell (Buckinghamshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This book is fascinating for any tree enthusiast.
It is the perfect tool you can use to identify different tree types.
The writing style is concise and in-depth.
A sheer masterpiece.
Picture quality is high definition. Images are portrayed in vivid detail.
This book is fantastic.
If you are even slightly interested in trees or want to expand your knowledge of trees buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a handy little book, 1 Feb 2009
JJ (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a handy little book that tells you all you need to know about trees and things related to trees.
If you have ever wondered what that tree was at the bottom of the garden or what those strange growths are in the branches or what the tree looks like that that gives us that glorious tulip wood carving, then this is a good place to find the answer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tree-mendous book!, 8 Feb 2009
After careful consideration I chose the Collins Complete Guide because the images were photographic rather than illustrated. A plus point not only for accurate identification but also as a reference when using the images for paintings, embroidery or similar creative projects. The book includes a section to assist with identification of winter trees.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 13 July 2012
Excellent book. I've just started reading it now and im pleased how comprehensive it is.

I have knocked one star off my rating though because the text ends quite close to the spine. I don't like books that do this as you can damage the spine when wrenching the book open to see the last few letters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent paperback reference book., 10 Jun 2012
As most of the other reviews attest, a wonderful reference book packed with many photographs and pictures to help in identifying trees. Each page has several pictures to help with the identification - leaves, bark, blossoms etc.
It is a great book and the only reason I have knocked one star off is that it would be so much better as a hardback. It is a very weighty paperback that does unfortunately feel as if the pages would start to come away from the spine if one opened the pages out fully. Nevertheless a very useful reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! This book has given me a new hobby!, 12 Oct 2011
Being a bit of a weekend rambler I have always yearned to be able to identify the trees I see as I go on my walks. Eventually I decided to do something about it. However, after struggling with two field guides from well known book companies and having limited success in trying to identify trees I was becoming rather disconsolate with my efforts and thought I would never get to be any good at it, largely because the real trees I saw didn't seem to match the illustrations in the books.
However, while browsing on this site one day I saw mention of 'The Collins Complete Guide to British Trees' and its rave reviews, so I bought it.
Wow...it has completely transformed my walks and my enjoyment of trees and over the course of this last summer I have broadened my knowledge and abilities to a degree I would never have imagined possible! I now wander through our local farmland and ancient forest reciting the names (and varieties!) of the trees just as I see them. I greet familiar 'sessile oaks' and 'buckeyes' like old friends as I pass them in the car and I have a favourite 'beech' which once sheltered me in a downpour. I smile fondly when I recall identifying my first 'spindlewood' tree, and I remember my excitement when I first encountered the 'wild service tree'.
If you have an interest in identifying trees but, like me you have struggled, I strongly suggest you buy this book. The layout is simple, English names are used, and the pictures really do resemble the trees and leaves as you see them out in the wild. You will be learning and identifying in no time!
This book has given me a wonderful new hobby and transformed my understanding of the countryside I see around me. Fabulous!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Guide, 11 Sep 2010
I've got a number of tree books and this one beats them all for its thoroughness. The masses of photos allow you to see the subtle differences in leaves, bark and overall appearance of similar trees that is often lost with illustrations.

11.55