5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed and easy to follow
Published on 15 July 2008 by E. Shaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly useless - unless you are a botanist!
Published on 22 Jun 2010 by Perky Duck

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed and easy to follow, 15 July 2008
E. Shaw "junglegirl" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Wild Flowers: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide) (Paperback)
I bought this book having already owned the Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide and finding I needed something more comprehensive. I was not disappointed - the book is well laid out with clear photos and plants grouped together by family. There is also a glossary and brief but clear guides to leaves, fruits and seeds and an flower identification guide. Using photographs rather than drawings also helps with identification.

A very clear and easy-to-use guide that should be perfect for anyone like me who is not an expert in botany but wants a detailed guide that makes identification simple and easy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly useless - unless you are a botanist!, 22 Jun 2010
Perky Duck (Wirral, Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
There are many ways you can identify a wild flower, for instance by colour; by size; by number of petals; by foliage; e t c. Unfortunately this guide uses none of these, instead it classifies using botanical species. Taking a scientific approach is fine if you are a botanist but pretty much useless if you are a beginner like me. Can you distinguish between the "Blinks to Gooosefoot families" and the "Willowherb and dogwood families" because, believe me , this guide expects you to!!!

Lets give you a specific example: You come across a bright yellow flower. You could try the buttercup family but you won't find it there. You won't know its name but even if you did (The Common Evening Primrose) the obvious place to look is the Primrose family. You won't find it there either. It is, in fact, in the Willowherb and Dogwood section and you will have had to plough through the previous 118 pages to find it.

OK, I have exaggerated a bit as you can narrow down your search by using the "short cuts to flower identity" pages. Try it. The 5 petal flower section helpfully identifies 20 families to sort through!

I found it difficult to review a book of this type. For a beginner I'd give it 1 out of 5. On a more positive note, it does claim to be a complete guide and has good photographs and short but informative narrative. If you are already knowledgeable or expert it is conceivable that you could rate it 5 out of 5.

Kew magazine may well describe this as "An ideal first flower guide" but this book is not suitable for a complete novice in wild flower identification.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tour de force in all departments, 14 Jun 2011
Perky Duck, and others wanting a field guide would do well to have a copy of Collins Wild Flowers of Britain and Europe Collins Nature Guide - Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe It categorises species under colour, and is a handy little book to have alongside Paul Sterry's almost encyclopedic work. As to Complete Wild Flowers, Mr Sterry has done a marvelous job, and everything you need to know about the superb photographs and text has already been said by other reviewers. I treasure this book as a thoroughly useful and delightful read whenever I am out in the country, or simply wanting to bone up on the subject. Sadly, and a poor reflection on Collins, there are no notes on the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Book, 11 April 2008
A. G. Beer "A Good Beer" (UK, Devon-Cornwall) - See all my reviews
Im a student studying conservation biology. This books perfect, not to big and can easily be taken out in the field. Great photos and backed up by good descriptive texts and the occasional handy identification drawings of leaves and stems etc for those more difficult plants. This book wont be a dissapointment

5.0 out of 5 stars very clear and accessible, 25 Aug 2010
M. Ashby "splashby" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
I have nothing to compare with but I have found this book has transformed my walks across the fields that I really hadn't noticed before. Excellent pictures and enough detail and explanation for me. I personally have realised that I am also interested in knowing know the herbal, medicinal qualities too..but that is another subject...this book is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book, easy to use., 13 Aug 2009
Doris B "flowerfairy" (Stratford upon Avon, England) - See all my reviews
I started looking at wild flowers on walks with our dog, and realised I didn't know the names of too many. I bought this book after reading reviews and it has been such a help. In fact, when I'm out for a walk, I'm always looking for new wild flowers, and they're so easy to find from the colour pictures and details in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Good Ones, 26 Aug 2012
Woodland Worker (Sludgethorpe in Mire) - See all my reviews
I have always found the Collin Guides to be first rate.
When I first opened this book to look up a wild flower I was left with a feeling of disappointment. The pictures were not quite right and I couldn't make sense of anything.
Then I went back and read the beginning of the book; from that point on everything fell into place.
I think that what you must keep in mind with this particular Collins series is that they are for "general" interest. If you require something more detailed then there are books available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and handy book, 30 Aug 2010
A.Ratcliffe (Notts, England) - See all my reviews
A nice well laid out guide to ' quite common' British Wildflowers. It's far from being exhaustive but what it does contain are the pretty common species of wild flowers that you're likely to come across on a ramble out somewhere in the countryside or your local area. Good colourful photographs with basic information concisely summed up. It's quite simple compared to some books I have had on the subject in the past which is a refreshing change to be honest. I guess wether your going to like this book or not depends on how deep you want go into identification and wether your trying to identify some of the rarer stuff. All in all, I like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Wild Flower Guide, 25 July 2013
I'm a keen photographer and I purchased this book to help me identify the wild flowers I'd taken pictures of.

The book is very well written and nicely presented, with good images of each flower. It would have been nice to include a few more images of the flowers in various stages of growth, but I guess that would have made the guide more expensive.

Obviously, as I don't know the name of the flower I'm looking for in the guide, I find myself flitting from page to page quite a lot, visually searching for the flower I've taken a picture of. This can become tiresome, and it could lead you to miss an ID! I guess the book could have been organised in such a way to avoid this happening - by leaf type, flower size, colour etc.

However, I've used the guide on multiple occasions, and have managed to identify everything I've looked for so far. Therefore, I'd definitely recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins British Wild Flowers, 19 July 2013
This is one of the best identification guides on the market. It is not too bulky and can fit in a coat pocket