on 30 July 2002
I have quite a large library on flora and fauna but this is the book that is most frequently used for answering those day to day questions. It is not exhaustive, but that makes it portable and, with it's plastic cover and shiny pages, durable as well.
This book is perfect for just about everyone who has ever asked themselves 'I wonder what that is?' as a mysterious insect strolled across their petunias.
11 comment108 of 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 August 2006
When you are out for a walk it is inconvenient carrying one book on birds, one on trees, one on wild flowers, etc. I wanted a book which would cover all these area - and this book fits the bill admirably (in fact it covers many more areas besides). The only minor criticism I would make is that the section describing trees includes a photograph of either the whole tree or a leaf/fruit for each variety. To assist identification it would have been more useful to have included both items; with the relatively small number of trees included in the book this would not have added much to its bulk. However, do not let this deter you from purchasing this excellent book!
on 4 February 2006
This book is a great field guide to all birds, mammals, insects, amphibians, plants and trees in the U.K. It features colour photos of each species and a description.
It is invaluable to any nature loving person and is small, so will fit easily in a rucksack.
on 1 February 2006
I would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting a comprehensive guide. This book is very easy to use, each type of wildlife has its own section, eg birds, insects, wild flowers etc. Each section is fully illustrated with high quality photographs with easy to identify notes on the facing pages. With 18 different sections it covers most things one is likely to encounter when out in Britain and would be an ideal general guide for field trips or camping. I have several other books on flowers, trees, birds but this book could replace them all on most occasions. Recommended.
0Comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2000
This is a wonderful resource even if you don't have children! The pictures make it so easy to recognise what you are looking for, and the well written explanations really make you feel like you are learning something. Our children get so excited when they can put a proper name to something they have found, and they are developing a really sense of value for the creation we are part of.
0Comment45 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2002
All the pictures of the same group of wildlife are on one page, enabling easy identification of what you have seen or found. The descriptions are brief but good and I think this is an excellent guide to british wildlife
on 4 October 2007
I bought this book after watching countless Nature programs on TV and wanting get out an discover for myself. All I can say is this book as unlocked a new world to my family with my two young boys suddenly taking an interest in the trees, bird and general wildlife around us.

Belive me, for cost of this book you will get alot of pleasure if you just step out of your home and visit your local park be that in a city, town or the middle of nowhere.
on 6 April 1999
An excellent book for reference, especially in your garden. I especially found it useful in identifying the birds in my garden and the wild flowers in the local hedgerows.
0Comment31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2012
I had purchased this book for my 2 nature loving children and as this had good reviews thought this would be ideal. The book itself it set out lovely and it has great pictures in there. We took this book out on our usual country walk and we found there were loads we couldn't identify as they weren't in the book. In the end my children got fed up with trying to look up things we found as they weren't in there. I don't think it is worth the money, but the service and speed we received the delivery we couldn't grumble with.
on 18 July 2010
Weighing only 730g and measuring 13.5 x 21 x 2.5cm. this nice little book is portable. It is not exhaustive (but then it would be a massive book if it were!), for example only 2 types of bumble bee and 3 types of ladybird were listed. But in fairness it does say "featuring the mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates you are MOST LIKELY to see, as well as all the COMMON plants". So it leaves out the species that are less common and you're less likely to see, which can be frustrating; I found a beetle whilst walking that I couldn't find in this book.

It is not without its errors though...it says, about the Brown hare, that "males chase and box one another in spring" when in fact it's unreceptive females fending off passionate males. But all in all I think it's a great addition to my bookshelf and I'd recommend it as a useful basic ID guide.