5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value
I have quite a large library on flora and fauna but this is the book that is most frequently used for answering those day to day questions. It is not exhaustive, but that makes it portable and, with it's plastic cover and shiny pages, durable as well.
This book is perfect for just about everyone who has ever asked themselves 'I wonder what that is?' as a mysterious...
Published on 30 July 2002 by Chris Lawton

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed
I had purchased this book for my 2 nature loving children and as this had good reviews thought this would be ideal. The book itself it set out lovely and it has great pictures in there. We took this book out on our usual country walk and we found there were loads we couldn't identify as they weren't in the book. In the end my children got fed up with trying to look up...
Published on 10 Sept. 2012 by Chalky75

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Just my luck, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: British Wildlife: A photographic guide to every common species (Collins Complete Guide) (Paperback)
I originally bought a copy of this book eight or ten years ago to go in the rucksack. As a quick guide to most of the things you would find on a walk it proved invaluable - it isn't as comprehensive as it claims to be, but you can't carry a whole library in a daybag, there wouldn't be room for your sandwiches. The book came with an indispensable plastic sleeve keeping the worst of the rain off and stopping it getting too dog-eared. Unfortunately, my copy had been badly trimmed, so there were no page numbers which reduced the value of the index somewhat! I recently lost the book, it is probably on a mountainside or coastal path somewhere, so I ordered a new one. This time I have page numbers, but beware, it no longer comes with that very useful plastic cover. The concept of this book is ideal for what I want, but why do I always find myself disappointed?

5.0 out of 5 stars british wildlife, 11 May 2009
I ordered this book on 7th May and I received the book this morning Monday 11th May.Not only is the book excellent the service has been excellent. I would recommend this company for books. If I require any more books I will not hesitate to buy from Books 4 Less UK. Brenda Robson

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoguide to British Wildlife, 18 Aug. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Living in the countryside, the garden is regularly visited by a wide range of wildlife, some large, some small. Paul Sherry's guide is a perfect companion sitting at home or walking public footpaths around home. It is a well built, tough book printed on high-quality, heavy paper and the cover itself is protected by a thick plastic, see-through cover; all of this quality means it can survive the mud and rain as long as it is looked after.
The right-hand page is made up of twelve full colour pictures (occasionally more), the left by text accompanying and describing each picture in brief.

I have not challenged its claim to be the "Complete British Wildlife" but, having used it for some time, I would not be surprised.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Literally a book about nature., 13 Dec. 2014
Good - certainly better than the competition but I think it tries to be "all things to all men" and misses out a lot. TBH i already know thie difference between a mole and a hedgehog.... But having said that a stoat / weasel was sitting 10 feet away from me in a hedgerow last week and, using this book (which I had with me) I still didnt know which one it was. I had to check it on wikipedia when I got back, which is kind of annoying because I bought this book so I wouldn't have to "keep checking wikipedia when I got back". Turns out it was either a mole or a hedgehog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to wildlife, 3 Sept. 2013
Easy to find what you are looking for. Excellent pictures and descriptions. Would recommend this product. Have bought similar books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but consider previous version, 12 Sept. 2010
We have the 1997 version of this book and our 5 year old grandchildren love it, so I ordered the new 2008 version so that they could have a copy at their house. The books are identical apart from the cover picture, and the old version is protected with a very useful thick plastic cover, unfortunately the new one is not. Had I known, I would have ordered the old version which is still available with plastic cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must-have' for nature lovers., 5 Aug. 2011
This is a beautiful book with extremely clear photographs of British mammals, birds, fish, amphibians, butterflies, moths, insects, spiders, molluscs, trees, shrubs,flowers, grasses, rushes and toadstalls. Each photograph (6 - 10 per page) is accompanied by a short description and useful information. I would not be without this book and keep one copy in the car and one indoors. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins British Wildlife, 18 Oct. 2011
P. Wilson (Northampton UK) - See all my reviews
An excellant book for all those interested in British Wildlife and to know what is happening in our countryside. Excellant descriptions and photographs of every kind of plants, creatures and waterlife, living in our green and pleasent land. A must for any car glove box
just to get out and read when coming across something unusual on our travels. Thank you to Collins the publisher's

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use, 22 Feb. 2013
L. M. Young (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This book is so informative for anyone with an interest in wildlife.Very easy to identify a bird, butterfly etc; not only because of the photographic help but the habitat description, of where these plants or creatures are most likely to be found. Descriptions are short and to the point. Great for an absolute novice as well as someone who wants a reference point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 10 Feb. 2011
This is a great book for any age. It is easy to read and easy to find things in it. I bought this as a replacement as my last one got wet!! and I just had to replace it. It is great if you see a bug,insect,plant or any kind of wildlife and want to know what it is and learn more about it.Every home should have a copy.It is as the title says "A Complete Guide"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›