5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good book.
I am a fan of this kind of story. Unfortunately authors who can write this kind of thing well are few and far between. Jim Butcher is one, Rachel Cane is another and of course there's Laurell Hamilton and her Anita Blake series (early books anyway) Kim Harrison easily fits in with their illustrious company.

The first book, Dead Witch Walking, set up a wonderful...
Published on 3 Mar 2005 by Mark E. Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend it...
I have to start off by saying that I'm so glad I decided to carry on with 'The Hollows' series after not liking Dead Witch Walking - book one in the series.

Published on 14 Dec 2010 by GloriousBooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good book., 3 Mar 2005
Mark E. Cooper "Fantasybooks" (STANFORD-LE-HOPE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The first book, Dead Witch Walking, set up a wonderful world in which post Turn America is inhabited by humans and Inderlanders. Inderlanders include species such as elves, pixies, witches (if it uses magick it's not human), demons, vampires... you name it. Human authority after the Turn has devolved to the FIB, an organisation built from the remnants of pre-Turn police organisations such as the FBI. Inderlanders, due to their use of magick, need a different authority to keep them in line, namely Inderland Security or I.S for short.

Rachel Morgan used to be an I.S runner -- one of their operatives, but in the first book she finally quits and sets up her own agency with a vampire for a partner, and another partner in the form of Jenks the pixie (a father of 30 kids)

I found the first book a little slow at first, but after the first chapter things liven up quickly. Not so with the second book. It's off to a roaring start with Rachel stealing a fish of all things from a baseball team. The mascot is protected by werewolves, but Rachel is a good witch and she gets away with her fishy heist. Rachel gets stiffed for her fee and spends a lot of her time looking over her shoulder from then on.

This is a great book, and in my opinion is the better of the two. Buy it now. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a page turner, 23 May 2010
This review is from: The Good, The Bad and The Undead (Rachel Morgan 2) (Paperback)
Just as good as the first, this book is enchanting and gut clenching. Rachel is at her best and growing in character as is Jenks, my fav. The book keeps you hanging on right the way through and without a doubt is as good if not better than the first. The ending as in the first book is great really does have you staying awake all night to read the last few chapters.

Rachel's true powers begin to show themselves and a few characters begin to show there real beings and fears including Trent, but is he as bad as he seems or is there light at the end of the tunnel? And why do girls always like the bad boys!?

Read it you wont be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be able to put this book done., 7 Feb 2005
By A Customer
What can I say, Kim Harrison is a god send!! It's been ages since I've found a series of books that I'm in love with till I'm sat counting the days until the next release (p.s. book 3 comes out this summer). I love the character of Rachel Morgan who seems to be imperfect enough to identify with and still manages to find ways of of impossible situations. Rachel is an earth witch, an Inderlander, which includes witches, pixies, vampires...etc. The Turn occured when Inderlanders came out of the closet so to speak. Why'd they come out? Read the book and find out :D!
She's finding it hard to make the rent and ends up agreeing to be a consultant for the FIB ( not FBI) which is what's left of the human police force after the Turn. A serial killer is on the loose hunting witches and Rachel has a good idea who's doing it. Many questions from the previous book are answered in this novel and it could be a bit heady to just jump into this for a new reader. For returing junkies of Harrison, we find out what Trent really is; skeletons from Rachel's past; and who sent a demon after her in the first book.
With new characters; hilarious pixies and the deepening mystery of Trent Kalamack this series seems to only be getting better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hollows is the place to visit, 3 Feb 2005
By A Customer
Great book. Highly recommended and satisfying read. The pace is so fast you have to run to keep up with it. Rachel is hired by the FIB to find who is murdering witches. You meet all the great characters from DWW, some new ones are introduced and there is definately lots going on. If you like vampires, demons, pixies and other strange beings, this book is for you.
Nearly all the questions from DWW are answered, but Ms Harrison has found lots of new, interesting plot lines that make you want to read book three (out later this year) as soon as possible.
I would recommend you read DWW first as an introduction to the world of the Hollows. But this book works as a stand alone.
I enjoyed DWW, thought it was a great book for a new author, was'nt totally convinced by the mink episode, but looked forward to this one. I have to say this is better than DWW and I shall continue to buy Ms Harrison's books with eagerness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing reads., 14 Feb 2012
BluePie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am loving these books. KH writes with a simple, laid back style that is easy to read but at the same time deceivingly absorbing. I personally think she could write a shopping list and it would be fascinating. Her stories are sexy, down to Earth (as much as the world she has created can be!) and very witty. Writing in the first person really brings the character of Rachel Morgan to life. All her insecurities and her thoughts on all that befalls her always brings a smile to my face. I am lucky enough to own all nine of the books and already I am getting saddened at the thought of finishing the last one, even here at number two....

5.0 out of 5 stars Its still good, 20 Nov 2011
Bookaholic (Huntingdon, England) - See all my reviews
The second in the Rachel Morgan series. It does not disappoint and the story flows on with Ivy and Rachel. As usual by the time I get around to reading a series that has been in print for a while there are some excellent reviews giving very good synopsis of the story. I cannot fault the book or storyline and this ebook has made it to my kindle bookcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!!, 30 Sep 2011
Kim Harrison, The Good, The Bad and the Undead. If ever there was a world which needed to be created in celluloid this is it. There is a terrible event that wipes out people and forces the weird and wonderful into the light of day. The world is recovering but slowly. Rachael Morgan is my kind of woman, strong, independent but wonderfully messed up. Her relationship with her vampire house mate is so real and leaps off the page. The only time I've read a vampire/mortal relationship that feels simpler is The Prophecy by Sarah Luddington. Rachael Morgan is one of the most accessible heroines I've ever read, so follow in the steps we find in The Hollows and enjoy the new world, where witches run with vampires and hunt evil in their world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend it..., 14 Dec 2010

Rachel - the protagonist in the story - was so much stronger as a character than in the previous book. I did think she was stupid in the last book but now she seems to have grown up a lot since having to fend for herself.

I also still love the villain, Trent Kalamack. He's better than ever in this book and I loved his sneaky secret that was revealed thanks to Rachel's wits.

For the most part this book was quite action-packed but I found it a little hard to get into until the second half of the book.

The plot-line was flawless; so many things happened at once and all the dots were connected towards the end making it a thrilling read at times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but sloppy Kindle edition, 12 Jan 2012
I'm going to keep this simple. If you're thinking about reading this book, you've probably read the first in the series, Dead Witch Walking. Therefore you know what you're getting: a pacey, well-written adventure with interesting characters and a really well-imagined alternative version of our world which, according to my friend who also enjoys this series, just keeps getting better and richer in detail. This is a worthy sequel, even though I'm already finding the Rachel-Ivy dynamic a little repetitive. Also, if I'm going to be picky, if Jenks strikes another Peter Pan pose, I may just have to scream - Jenks is a great character, but apparently a little limited in his body language. No matter - this is still a great book which I thoroughly recommend and I'm really looking forward to reading more.

However, I read the Kindle version of this book and this is where I've been disappointed. I was lucky enough to get this for the Kindle for just 99p and I'm sure some of you think, well, you get what you pay for. However, if I download a 3.99 mp3 album, I don't expect it to be full of glitches and faults. The Kindle version works just fine but it feels as if the typed text has been quickly scanned as a pdf and only briefly checked. As a result, the presentation of the text is poor - it seems like every few pages two words are put together without a space - hardly a major problem, but irritating. Occasionally, it also feels like the grammar is wrong and tense endings have been missed, making sentences awkward. Finally, in some cases, it seems as if the words are just wrong, making the sentence gibberish. The example that pops into my mind was early on: a character is described as "dark completed", when I think the original was probably "dark-complexioned". I realise some of you may think I am being incredibly pedantic, but my concern is that with the Kindle taking off, we as readers need to make sure we get the books that we (and the authors) deserve - if we let these poor standards slide without comment, all we will ever get are sloppy versions which irk and annoy.

So, hopefully the publishers will take note and take greater care in the future. For now, prospective readers may want to consider the format they buy in. The book will not disappoint, but its presentation might...

5.0 out of 5 stars ADDICTIVE, 14 April 2005
Karin Pissoort "Epona Rosa" (AALST, OOST-VLAANDEREN Belgium) - See all my reviews
A wonderful and bewitching story, once again. If you love the books by K. Armstrong and L.K. Hamilton, you will adore the books by Kim. The two stories so far are truly addictive and I can't wait to read number 3 in the series.
Buy them and enjoy your reading.

The Good, The Bad and The Undead (Rachel Morgan 2)
The Good, The Bad and The Undead (Rachel Morgan 2) by Kim Harrison (Paperback - 2 Oct 2006)
4.42