5.0 out of 5 stars What do you mean a handbag isn't an 'investment'?
Published on 21 May 2007 by Karen C

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for those of us in "Mid Youth."
I received my copy of this book yesterday and there is absolutely no doubt that there is a wealth of financial information and advice therein.
Published on 30 Aug 2007 by M. M. Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you mean a handbag isn't an 'investment'?, 21 May 2007
Karen C (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Is Not Enough: A Smart Woman's Guide to Making (and Keeping) Money (Hardcover)
I'm 26, live in London and barely able to keep above my overdraft limit at the end of the month - let alone save anything or contribute to a pension - so 'Love is Not Enough' was a bit of a wake up call for me (thanks mum!). I expected something dry and boring but a few pages in and I was hooked. The tone of the advice is brilliant (sometimes harsh but fair) and the author really gets what my girlfriends and I are going through. Her tips are straightforward and easy-to-follow and she uses tons of real life examples to get her point across. I'm not expecting any miracles but it's just such a relief to feel more confident and informed about tackling my debt(s).

5.0 out of 5 stars What a life changing read..., 12 Jun 2007
J. Slack - See all my reviews
This book was given to me by my best friend who felt that I needed some guidance with my finances! Having read the book I can only wish that I had been given it 20 years ago and perhaps now my finances would be in better shape. Not only is it a sharp, witty and enjoyable read but I have learnt more in the last week than in the last decade about how to put organise my finances. And it's so often the things you don't think about where you can start to save. Travel insurance? Wedding insurance? Joint Accounts? Bank charges? Mortgage rates? Pensions? We are all guilty of taking the first set of advice that comes along (and I know have because half the time I never really understand the explanation I have been given and it is easier just to take the advice and be done with it), but shopping around and working out the best deal really does pay off. I could go on but suffice to say that everyone should read a copy of this book and give a copy to your best friend at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this before you use your first credit card!!!, 8 July 2007
M. Wharton (UK) - See all my reviews
What an excellent book! I bought this for my stepdaughter, thinking it looked like a good read with solid financial advice. I glanced at it before I handed it over and ended up reading it from cover to cover! I note another reviewer wished she'd read it years ago. Well she's not alone. And, bizarrely, there is another audience for this book but it needs a different angle. Merryn assumes that every man(?) has his financial head screwed on by magic. How on earth can she think that???? So many young singles/ couples start off without a clue on how to make their money work and end up in double trouble. So Merryn, if you want to change the country's culture and attitude to money and put the world at large in control instead of on the back foot of the big financial institutions, then you need to write this book with that missing angle. I'd volunteer to promote it for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book., 4 Sep 2007
Leillah S (middlesex, UK) - See all my reviews
On getting the book, i thought it was just a pretty cover for quite a heavy book, but I was astonished at how quick and useful a read it was. I am in my mid twenties, just married and embarking on my career. I was really glad to get the advice on children as I am getting a lot of pressure to have them immediately but worry about my career.
Great stuff, I know more what to expect now. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first unscary book about money, 14 Jan 2008
V. WOODWARD (Wales) - See all my reviews
This book reads at such a pace that you forget it's all about the world's worst subject: finance. I picked it up with dread, thinking it would deliver horrible and impossible lectures about how to earn and save money. Instead, the writing and advice are totally down-to-earth and (almost always) simple to follow. A brilliant book for New Year resolutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humourous And Helpful, 8 Jan 2008
T. Webb "Tabs" (UK) - See all my reviews
I am hopeless with money, so feel it obvious this book was written purely to assist me with my day to day life! A great book that makes the boring interesting, and makes the complicated easy to understand. I would highly recommend this to any woman who lives in fear of opening the post, hides her shopping under the bed, or still shys away from the word 'pension'. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for those of us in "Mid Youth.", 30 Aug 2007
M. M. Ellis (East Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
However, I think this book is aimed at a much younger market and there is very little new information for someone in their middle years, with pension/savings/mortgages all already in place. That said I would still recommend this for women in their twenties and thirties as it has much to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary!, 30 Oct 2009
D. C. M. Moore (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I can quite honestly say that this book is the most important thing I have ever purchased!

I did so after reading many glowing reviews of it here on Amazon and must say, it stands up to such high praise.

I was particularly grateful on the sections I have most fear and confusion about: Pensions and Investments. At the young(ish) age of 25 my knowledge of, and involvement in these areas is non existent and while I have always had an idea that they were important I knew less than nothing about how to navigate the very complicated systems. This book breaks everything down for the complete novice and takes away much of the mumbo jumbo so carefully designed to keep people like me in the dark about where to go and what to do. It also gives great tips for further help and reading once you've grasped the basics.

I have always consodered myself very money savvy (and for the most part I was correct) but seeing how many little nasty tricks various industries and companies play on us to part us from cash that we don't need to spend absolutely scandalised even me (and I have always been a highly circumspect and sceptical consumer). Many reviewers have said that they wish someone had given them this book earlier (in their 20s as opposed to their 30s or 40s) and i can understand why- I am very glad I read it at the relative beginning of my financial life, a time where I can make optimum use of it to secure my financial future- If you have a daughter, neice, grandaughter (or even son, nephew, grandson for that matter) who is starting their working life and wondering what to do with what they earn BUY THEM THIS BOOK! They will thank you for it one day in the future. I will certainly be passing my copy around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful and Good Read, 1 Jan 2008
Kathryn E. Goldin "katgold" (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a very basic guide to finances for women. I really thought it was very clear, giving lots of practical tips and also highlighting a lot of the injustice of the way society is ripping off women who have babies, but also what you can do about it. There are sections on spending, saving, debt, pensions, investment, etc. It was honestly a very interesting read and I just wish I'd read it earlier.

Sorting out my finances is def a resolution for this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, informative read, 8 May 2007
R. Jackson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I graduated two years ago and like any student have a mountain of debt. I was determined to sort out my finances but didn't know where to start until I found this book. Written with women in mind - a first when it comes to financial books - it has helped me plan out how to pay back my debts and then start saving for the future. The author is aware of the big difference in spending habits between men and women and has written a financial tome with that in mind. Anyone who liked How to Walk in High Heels should read this.

Love Is Not Enough: A Smart Woman's Guide to Making (and Keeping) Money
Love Is Not Enough: A Smart Woman's Guide to Making (and Keeping) Money by Merryn Somerset Webb (Hardcover - 1 May 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01