5.0 out of 5 stars An early cruise on the Nile
Published on 6 May 2011 by Devon Dumpling

3.0 out of 5 stars The Prototype of all Murder Mysteries
It is obviously quite difficult to review a book that has been commented upon so many times, and it is therefore challenging to come up with anything new that hasn't already been said or written by others before. Nevertheless, here is my opinion on "Death on the Nile": If you like murder mysteries and the quintessentially English "whodunnit", then this should certainly be...
Published on 14 Dec. 2008 by Christine Knew

5.0 out of 5 stars An early cruise on the Nile, 6 May 2011
So I booked a winter holiday next year in Egypt which will include a cruise on the Nile. How then could I not read the book in advance? Well the Kindle edition was fascinating but the audiobook - wow! I have, for some while, been listening to Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series read by Tony Robinson and they have set a very high standard but, considering the age of this story, I think that David Suchet gives a most entertaining read - even the english Colonel speaks with a beautiful 'Jonathan Woss' lisp!
I am disabled and so like to take a flask of coffee and park my car up on the moor, sit back and listen. A great afternoon break.
I shall be purchasing more Agatha Christie audiobooks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing to float away with, 20 Mar. 2007
Death on the Nile is one of the best Agatha Christie's ever - and has been presented in a variety of formats, and this is one of the most enjoyable. David Suchet (Poirot himself from the rather fabulous television series) reads the tale of murder and mayhem in Egypt with a flair and humour which is engaging and thoroughly entertaining. Even though you may be very familiar with the story, Suchet's reading gives added dimensions to Christie's characters, and allows characters to speak for themselves, as it were.

The only reason I did not give 5 stars was that his vocalisation of Colonel Race tended to grate on my ear after a while, but it is a small complaint for such an enjoyable audio book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Christie's greatest!, 30 July 2004
By A Customer
Death On the Nile was the first Agatha Christie book I read and I immediately became a fan. Christie shows a love for Egyptian culture and history and you'll never be able to work out the solution- it's surprising yet at the same time a convincing piece of work.
If you haven't read Christie before, this is a good book to start you off as it boasts Poirot's (and Christie's) unique genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Christie - Death On the Nile | Review, 17 Sept. 2013
This is Christie at her best - it's the finest example of her work that I've ever read, and it's set the bar high for the rest of her bibliography. Hercule Poirot investigates a murder as he floats elegantly down the Nile, in a setting which has always fascinated me.

Christie's writing in Death On the Nile is gripping and fast-paced, and as the case develops you'll find yourself trying to detect who the murderer is yourself, although I'm not going to spoil it for you by revealing that here. Rest assured, it's highly recommended and worth reading whether you're a lifelong Christie fan or a newcomer to her works. There's certainly nowhere better to start.

Interestingly enough, Christie also makes references to her other novels throughout the plot, mainly during conversations between characters - they'd reference a mutual acquaintance in London for example, who'd also happen to be a leading character in a previous story. Something to spot for Poirot connoisseurs.

Published in 1937, this was released at a time when Christie was writing at her best, and you can feel the real sense of mastery that pervades the best of her fiction. Not many other Christie books can come even close, with the possible exception of And Then There Were None.

In summary, most Christie lovers will have read Death On the Nile already, but if you haven't then you should make it a priority. If you haven't read an Agatha Christie book before, then do yourself a favour and make a start on it, with this one. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death on the Nile...........Poirot, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Death on the Nile (Paperback)
Now I just love Ms Christie's murders in the Orient and this one for me, is her best. On holiday in Egypt, Poirot meets an old friend and it doesn't take our intrepid sleuth too long to discover he is working undercover. They are booked onto the Nile cruiser along with a group of wealthy tourists and it soon becomes clear that murder is afoot! As Poirot and his new sidekick become embroiled in murder no 1 it soon becomes apparent that a ruthless killer is on board and will stop at nothing to protect themselves. The cast of characters made this story for me as here Ms Christie comes into her own with sublime dialogue, comedy and farce as we, the reader skip from one murder to the next. It is here also that we get to see Poirot's romantic and compassionate side, something we dont see too often as we all know, as ardent fans, Poirot does not approve of murder!! This novel is heavenly, complex and quite touching in places. Of course with the advent of technology, most of us have probably seen the film of the same name so now when I pick up this book, I visualise Peter Ustinov as our dear Poirot and the cast of characters which are so perfectly selected for their roles imagined by Ms Christie. Of course, nothing quite compares with the book and this is reading at its best. Pure indulgence, you won't be disappointed here, enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Death on the Nile, 9 Feb. 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This is one of Agatha Christie's greatest novels and a Poirot classic. Beautiful, and fantastically wealthy, Linnet Ridgeway, seems to have everything. She is young, has a host of admirers and is used to indulging herself in whatever she wants. When her best friend, Jacqueline de Bellefort, asks her to employ the man she is engaged to - Simon Doyle - Linnet decides she wants him too. Jacqueline is betrayed and Linnet discovers that money cannot buy everything. When Poirot decides to take a cruise on the Nile he is confronted by a group of passengers, many of whom are hiding secrets, and when Jacqueline follows the honeymoon couple on board, the scene is set for murder.

In this novel, Christie has everything in place for a wonderful mystery: great characters, a well plotted murder and an exotic location. Poirot is at the very height of his powers and this is a sublime mystery, with not a word out of place. If you haven't read this before, then you are in for a treat. I have re-read it many, many times and it remains one of my favourite books. Christie remains the greatest crime novelist ever and I doubt anyone will ever take that title from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T READ THE OTHER REVIEWS -- SOME PEOPLE ARE MEAN, 6 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
I can't believe some other reviewer gave away the murderers. HISS HISS. I loved the book and I'm not personally offended, I had no idea whodunnit and the mystery is smart smart smart.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really loved this book!!!!, 13 July 1999
By A Customer
I thought this book really showed what love can make people do and how coldhearted people can be. It also shows what people will do for money. Altogether, I found this a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 13 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
This is a great murder mystery. Everyone over the age of ten will enjoy it. There are three murders, but none are particularly distressing for the reader. It shows the greed and vulgarity of the human race as well as the cleverness and the cunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising mystery with many twist & turns!, 20 April 1999
By A Customer
This to me is the greatest book I have ever read. The famous Hercule Poirot making you think your hardest. you will want to read it again and solve it with the master detective.

Death on the Nile: A Poirot Story
Death on the Nile: A Poirot Story by Agatha Christie (Hardcover - 4 Sept. 2006)