on 7 October 2009
I pre-ordered this book off Amazon as I was currently without a decent book to read. From the moment it dropped through my letter box, I could not put it down. Not only did it look very pretty (a lovely gift for someone), but the first few pages totally had me hooked and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book this much. It's another fantastic narrative by Cecelia Ahern, with parts that made me laugh out loud and others that made me want to cry along with the main character.

Cecelia Ahern has a wonderful way of making a reader feel like they are getting a secret insight into someone else's life, their world. Like many who will be reading this review, I've read all of her books now, and it doesn't matter if she's writting from the view of a 16 year old or a 60 year old, she always seems to get it spot on.

This book felt similar in ways to 'A Place Called Here', in that they both have a mysterious, magical element to them. Although I'm (much) older than Tamara, the main character, I felt I could relate to her, and her situation, which always makes it so much more enjoyable to read.

I was so disappointed to find that I had almost finished the book, even though the ending was perfect. I can see myself picking it up and reading it again in the not so distant future! And I will definitely be recommending it to everyone - you won't be disappointed.
22 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2010
I've read all of Cecelia Ahern books and really enjoyed them all. I think her first two were her best! This book is slow to start but when i got into it i was hooked, the magical element and curiosity had me hooked, i was constantly trying to guess what the aunt was up to, who was in the bungalow? etc. I will definitely be passing this book onto my sister and Mum.
on 20 January 2010
Wow. This is the first book I've read by Cecilia Ahern, as I thought she mainly wrote 'chick-lit' and I'm not really into that. Something about this book's synopsis appealed to me though - the idea of the book that tells you what's going to happen tomorrow! I'm happy to say it was so much better than that - the 'book of tomorrow' doesn't even come into the story until about 100 pages in, and to be honest it doesn't play a huge role in the story considering it's the name of the book, but it's a great way of hooking readers in to read the fantastic story. By the time I got to the point where she found the book I was already addicted to the storyline. The characters were great. Tamara is a bratty teenager, but she knows it and somehow that made it acceptable, and it's not completely her fault anyway. Rosaleen and Arthur were brilliant characters, as was Sister Ignatius! There were so many strange little plot developments that I just couldn't work out what was happening and I was so intrigued right up until the climax towards the end when she finally gets into the garage and starts to piece it together herself. It's not meant to be a scary book, but bits of it were terrifying and made me have to close the book and hold it away from me! haha. It was also touching in places and had me in tears (when she went back to her old house, for example) and at times made me laugh out loud as well at some of the banter between her and Marcus or Weseley. It's not often I read a book so compulsively and I think this one will stay with me for a while, and I will count it among my favourites from now on. I must look into more Cecelia Ahern books now!
on 31 January 2010
This book is a must read, I couldnt put it down. This book is exciting from the beginning to the end and will be loved by all. I definitley recommend it. I have read almost all books by Cecila Ahern and really enjoy all her work.
The Book of Tomorrow
on 12 October 2009
Could. Not. Put. It. Down.
So loved curling up on the sofa with this book and a cup of tea.
Mesmerising from beginning to end.
Loved all the characters, especially The Aunt and Uncle!
The setting was described beautifully, everything flowed, just a brilliant brilliant story. Loved the gold thread bookmark aswell, lovely touch.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2010
I have found the last 3 or so books of Cecelia's to be just so I absolutely loved her first two books PS I Love You and Where Rainbows End but, found the books to come after to be seriously lacking. However, I find this to be a return to form although not as good as the two aforementioned books, not sure those will ever be matched.

The main character Tamara is really quite spoiled and lives a life most of us could only ever probably dream of that is until her father is found lying dead after committing suicide due to debt which is left she has gone from having everything anow has absolutely nothing.

When they go to the country to live with family after haviong lost their home Tamara is so bored until the day the travelling library drives through and when she discovers a large leather book which is locked she has to, of course break into it and what she finds changes her.

A brilliantly written book that draws you in, yes I guess this is chick-lit but, I don't think Cecelia is a chick-lit author per se and this sometimes is a tiny bit reminiscent of A Place Called Here only better!
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2009
I love Cecelia Ahern, so grabbed this book as soon as I saw it in a shop. She's best known for her debut novel, P.S. I Love You, but has also written novels including The Gift, Thanks for the Memories, If You Could See Me Now and A Place Called Here. I think that The Book of Tomorrow, along with P.S. I Love You, are her strongest.

The Book of Tomorrow isn't chick-lit in its most fluffy form. Yes, it deals with love, friendship and family, but it's also a mystery, with some morals thrown in.

Tamara Goodwin is used to getting what she wants. She was born into money, lives in a mansion with a private beach and has a wardrobe full of designer clothes. She is a spoilt teenager who doesn't treat her parents particularly well, and never thinks of the consequences of her actions. All that changes when she discovers her dad lying on his office floor, dead. Her entire life is cast into turmoil - her father has committed suicide due to his mountains of debt, and there's nothing left for Tamara and her mother. They're forced to go and live with family in the country.

Once there, Tamara's mother is holed up in her room, catatonic with grief, and the young girl has to deal with her grief alone. She's lonely and bored, so when a travelling library passes her gatehouse home, Tamara investigates to break the monotony of her new life. She discovers a large leather book, which is locked. Curiosity gets the better of her - and on borrowing the tome she then proceeds to break into it. What she discovers between those pages shakes her already-ravaged world to its very core.

Ahern has done herself proud once more with this book. She's created a magical story with morals which had me avidly reading until the very last letter. Several issues are dealt with, but really, what's important is that this story is very entertaining and contains surprises to the very end. Recommended.
44 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2010
I have read all of Cecilia's books and loved them all. This one is just another one for my collection.
I chcecked a few reviews on amazon before i read it, and i was a bit worried that i would be dissapointed as some other readers were, however this wasn't the case. It was once again a captivating and absorbing story , which could only be told by Cecilia! It was quite slow at first but once you get through the first few chapters, you can't put it down.It is a great book, and well worth the money. I am sure that most of Cecilia's fans will agree.
on 11 February 2010
Haivng watched PS. I Love you on DVD and seeing the author's commentary, I had to find out more about Ceclia Ahern. What I found out by reading this is that she is a gifted writer, with an amazing talent to take you away into a world of fantasy, intrigue, betrayal and love. I literally could not put this down and what I liked most was that I couldn't see what was coming - I was on tenderhooks, as desperate for the truth as Tamara was!
on 21 October 2009
I bought this book the day it was released and couldn't wait to read it as I loved all her other books. I was a wee bit disappointed though, it wasn't until half way through the book that it started to get interesting and the second half of the story was really good. I think she spent to much time describing the location etc. I hate giving a ceceila ahern book only 3 stars as I would give all the others 5 stars.