5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, if you like Gregory, you'll love this!
Published on 12 Jan 2008 by L. Bretherton

2.0 out of 5 stars Not another "The Other Bolyen Girl."
Published on 3 Aug 2008 by World Traveller

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, if you like Gregory, you'll love this!, 12 Jan 2008
L. Bretherton "dempie" (Tiverton, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
totally different from her other historical novels, this book has more in common with "The Little House". There is that same pulsing sense of foreboding, in that you know the ending is going to be awful, but you are not sure just how awful it can be. The characters are very well drawn, although you might not sympathise with any of them, because they are all flawed in some way. I did feel the book was overlong, and I got VERY tired of hearing of the menu of every meal that Lily ate, but I have to agree that the final few chapters build to a stupendous climax, and I could NOT put it down, staying in bed to read on and on...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 9 April 2007
V. Burns (Tunbridge Wells, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
I read this book after my mother lent it to me, and I couldn't put it down. It is possible to feel sympathy for all the characters, even the captain, and my heart almost stopped as I got to the end. It was one of those books that I wanted to finish so badly I was walking down London streets reading it, but a book that I enjoyed so much that I didn't want it to end. It has been my top book of the year so far and I have recommended it to almost everyone!

It is a tragedy, but one that is handled with sensitivity and empathy.

The reason behind the title is also very powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 9 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
I love Philippa Gregory's books and this one was no exception! The story is set in the early 1920s, when England is just recovering from the Great War, but also when its aftermath is all too evident with the presence of war-wounded and shell-shocked casualties. Lily, a chorus girl shielded from the effects of war by her protective mother, meets Stephen, a war "hero" who is troubled by nightmares of his memories as an officer in the trenches. As the story unfolds, Lily learns to live with the upper-class ways of her new family against all odds, against the backdrop of a dark, sinister secret. Ms Gregory eases the reader into the story by giving an insight into each character's life and personality until, before your know it, you are swept up by the pace of the novel until you cannot bear to put the book down! A truly engrossing read, which makes the reader feel as if she or he can 'see' inside each character's head and the life they are living every moment. Superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 16 Jan 2008
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
After enjoying Philippa Gregory's novels set in the Tudor times I was inquisitive to see how she would depict a very different era. She didn't disappoint.I loved the book. It really gave you a sense of the time,attitudes to women, upper middleclass life and at the same time, how times were changing! As the reader you get inside the unhealthy mind of Captain Winters and know from the start that his 'love' for Lily isn't as it should be. Poor Lily - the sex ..aghhhhhhh!!!!Like the other reviewers, I found I was racing through to see how it was all going to end - while at the same time not wanting it to end!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not another "The Other Bolyen Girl.", 3 Aug 2008
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
Gregory is one of my favorite authors. Her "factual fiction" books of English royalty are well-written, thought-provoking, and undeniably interesting. However, I have read two of her books that are different from this style: "The Little House" and "Fallen Skies". The first was well-written, with a twist I think we've all considered at one time. "Fallen Skies" was boring, with an ending easily figured out after reading a few chapters. If you are a fan of romance novels, then "Fallen Skies" may be for you. It's just not to my taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fallen Skies, 2 July 2009
Mr. P. Datta "Pritthijit" (Stockton on Tees, Teesside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
It took me time and a bit of patience to really get into the novel due to the length. As the story progressed, it started to pick up momentum and my curiosity started to grow. I read it for long periods, so that I could draw myself into the story. If you leave gaps whilst reading this novel then I found it difficult to re-focus.

Gregory is very knowledgeable about historical events. The novel gives you the opportunity to develop a fine appreciation and understanding about what life was like in the 1920's, renowned for the jazz music scene and music halls, but overshadowed sadly by the war. The novel touches upon a variety of themes that include music, war and social. She has used the characters effectively to deliver with a well defined plot. It is about Lily, a choir singer and Stephen, a hero soldier and a lawyer in the family business. Stephen acquaints with Lily in a performance and there is chemistry sparkling between the two. Lily struggles to adapt at Stephen way of life. This is really questions whether the relationship will last long. The ends parts in particular kept me glued to the novel, as there is high drama building up.

Fallen Skies is a fine piece of historical fiction, delivered with realistic characters based in the setting featured in the novel. The descriptions are vivid and accurate. You are relieving history as it unfolds, which is interesting to know about. The novel is filled with high drama and emotions, but there are small traces of humour.

3.0 out of 5 stars not a patch on the Tudor series, 20 Aug 2009
L. mckay "brookes_bargain_books" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
I love Phillipa Gregorys work, but this book just did not cut the mustard! The characters are just not likeable, th story slow and drawn out, although the last few chapters are quite gripping. I think if you are a gregory fan you will read this book anyway, but just be warned not up to the standard of her other work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different to Gregory's usual but still great!, 15 Mar 2008
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
The previous reviews I have read of this book have been very mixed and understandably as it is a diversion from Gregory's usual historical novel based on famous characters. However, I didn't think this in any way detracted from the book's worth and I really enjoyed reading it.

Fallen Skies is set post World War One and deals on a personal level with the effect the war had on the survivors. Gregory is able to create whole back stories for her characters that really gave the plot depth and credibility.

If you're a fan of Gregory's writing style and don't mind trying something slightly different from her Tudor based novels, it really is worth giving this book a go (and don't be put off by it's volume, it's such a pager turner you won't even notice....)

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by typos, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Kindle Edition)
A brilliantly researched, sympathetic and insightful novel as one would expect from Ms Gregory. Let down however by appalling typos, sometimes 5 in one page and so bad that it was at times impossible even to work out the intended word from the context. Please can this be addressed?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallen Skies by Philippa Gregory, 8 Dec 2009
This review is from: Fallen Skies (Paperback)
Having read this book before, I had no hesitation in buying one as a gift for Christmas, if the receiver of this book enjoys it as much as I did, hopefully it will be recommended to others. I have no hesitation in saying this was a very good read, descriptive (as Philippa Gregory always is) and curl up in front of an open fire and enjoy!!!!

Fallen Skies
Fallen Skies by Philippa Gregory (Paperback - 16 Oct 2006)