5.0 out of 5 stars Sudoku the way it should be

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying
Published on 28 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sudoku the way it should be, 12 Aug. 2006
possessed.by.a.lemon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
If you now consider yourself a veteran Sudoku solver, this is the only level you should be considering (apart from Killer). Unless you want an easy life, anything less will not suffice. 'Difficult' Sudoku requires you to stop and pause occasionally, but 'fiendish' is where the grids become genuinely satisfying challenges which can take over an hour to complete, and with 200 grids to solve, you'll not be rushing through to the end of this one. This is an excellent value collection from the popular The Times series that will last you ages. Sudoku at its best.

Hours of fun and frustration await you. You will almost certainly need a pencil for this book and it is, of course, not the place for beginners to start...

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfying, 28 July 2012
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
It's difficult to judge other people's reviews because you don't know what their standard is compared to your own; so to help other readers, this is where I'm at. If there is a selection of sudokus to choose from (in a newspaper) I always go for the difficult one first as the others are now too easy. That's not to say, I whizz through the difficult ones, but I can do them and, now, they're the only ones I find remotely satisfying.

So I bought this book in the hope that I would have some puzzles to get my teeth into; this is what I found: usually, it is easy to fill in say 10 numbers and then comes the block, which can take (well me anyway) ages to find where the next cell possible to fill lies. In the meantime, numerous blocks, lines, columns have accumulated two, four or even six cells that only two figures can go into. Once you solve the current block (only one per puzzle), all the other numbers 'collapse' and it is just a matter of filling in the only possible number that can be in the remaining cells. You can see the answers faster than you can write them in. There are no further blocks to tussle with. It's very frustrating and deeply disappointing.

These puzzles rely solely on 'naked pairs' and 'hidden pairs'. I should add that I'm still not convinced about the tactic behind 'hidden pairs' as sometimes it seems to work and sometimes it doesn't. This may be because there is some other factor to be taken into account of which I am unaware. (I suspect this may be the case - I am by no means a Sudoku expert.) If you have full command of this tactic, then you will find this book even more disappointing than I do.

This book is now deep in my bedside locker and only comes out when I can't sleep and all other reading matter has been finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiendish Su Doku, 2 Feb. 2009
R. J. Hole (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
When I started this book I was fairly clueless about how to solve Fiendish and Superfiendish Su Doku puzzles. I took note of some advice (mainly to not use too many pencil marks, usually no more than two in any cell). The author has often said that there is an inner logic to the puzzles that is there to see if you think in the right way rather than trying to solve it by some inflexible computation. After a few false starts I got into the right mindset by following that advice. I even came to realise that many Fiendish Su Doku puzzles are not really very difficult. I found that the vast majority of puzzles can be solved by identifying pairs. I also realised that I had been using x-wings a lot to solve Killer Su Doku puzzles but in a limited way. Once realised it was easy to adapt and I found that x-wings were the most frequent way of getting unstuck. The ones that are only solvable by Swordfish or other techniques not based on pairs arrive in the hardest puzzles at the end. I still find these quite difficult although sometimes a Superfiendish can be really easy for reasons I don't really understand.

The strange thing about Fiendish puzzles is that the ones at the beginning of the book are relatively easy and they get more difficult as the book progresses. So it is not advisable to do them in random order assuming Fiendish puzzles are all equally difficult.

The journey was a lot of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Su Doku just how it should be!, 26 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
This is easily the best book of Su Doku puzzles I've ever had. It offers proper Su Dokus, not for the feint hearted. Really one for those who love a challenge.
Being the very difficult they do take your time, but it's a great feeling once one has reached the solution. The book consists of 190 Fiendish Su Dokus and 10 Super Fiendish. If this sounds too tricky, there are similar books available with "easy", "moderate" and "difficult" su dokus. To get a feel which are right for you, try attempting the puzzles in The Times newspaper.
I like the hardest ones, and feel that this is one of the very few excellent books available solely aimed for that level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled!, 4 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
Be aware that this is the same book as New York Post Su Doku Fiendish. Different ISBN numbers, different covers, different titles but exactly the same 200 puzzles in exactly the same order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Su Doku, 16 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
I just keep buying this book. I must have done it about a dozen times. None of the other books can match it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 9 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
I have been doing these for a couple of years now.
The "difficult books" were starting to get too achievable with me scoring over 95 percent.
To keep learning I have just gone up to "Fiendish"
Now striking about 60 percent and have the challenge to improve.
The times have pitched these very well and 200 puzzles is great value and of course rapid Amazon Service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of pleasure, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
I love Wayne Gould's puzzles. These are so rewarding, far superior to the su dokus produced by computer. A must for everyone who enjoys a challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind games, 9 Dec. 2013
v ictor smith (bolton, lancs, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
Gives you something to think about without being overtaxing especially good for senior citizens.Not to easy and not to difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars As it says, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Times Fiendish Su Doku (Paperback)
Supposed to be fiendish but I find some puzzles much easier than others. However it keeps "the old grey cells" working

The Times Fiendish Su Doku
The Times Fiendish Su Doku by Wayne Gould (Paperback - 20 Mar. 2006)