on 9 June 2007
This book is stranger than the others in the Demonata series as there are NO demons until the last chapter and then it finishes on a cliffhanger. What the hell is coming next is what is advertised for book 6 as; that is exactly what I was thinking.The book is about Grubbs,not Bec or Kernel, and is based on Grubbs battle against his family curse. It also describes his magic and a character from Slawter, book 3 , reappears. However different this book is from the others;It is still a very good book by an excellent author,however different it is.
After four thrilling novels featuring Grubbs Grady and his adventures with his crazy but caring uncle, his half-brother, Bill-E, and all the demons and monsters he's had to face (especially the one who took his parents away from him), Grubbs is back.

And this time he discovers that the only monster he has to face is himself.

Grubbs begins to have nightmares, ones with him covered in blood and being attacked by his late sister. But whenever he wakes up, he shrugs them aside, not thinking twice about them, most likely because he just doesn't want to know what they mean.

Aside from his sudden attraction to the moon and the need to howl, Grubbs has other problems on his mind. Like the differences between his new best friend, Loch, and his old good friend, now turned brother, Bill-E. Once Loch entered the picture, Grubbs just doesn't seem to have time for his first true friend and it's killing him inside, ironically. And the horrifying issues that attending school brings just don't make it any better.

Grubbs needs to get his priorities straight, especially the one dealing with him turning into a vicious monster, before it takes over and makes everything much worse.

With this fifth installment of THE DEMONATA series, fans will not be disappointed in this very thrilling, freaky, and funny novel about everyone's favorite character, Grubbs. With an ending that will drive you crazy, we can all say that Darren Shan has done it again!

Reviewed by: Randstostpher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen
on 4 August 2013
I've made it harder on myself to review these as I have read 3 of them since my last review, so I need to try to separate what's happened and look at each book in turn. So here goes.

We're back with Grubbs (YAY) and the story continues on with the family curse. However this one also holds importance with the events of book 4 (Bec). Things started to come together and make sense. The tunnel from the previous book makes a reappearance, but centuries have passed since Bec's time (think it says something like 600 years) but her story becomes very relevant.

Grubbs is afraid he may be turning into a wolf, he fights it as much as he can, but can anyone avoid their fate? or at least a curse this old?

We also of course see more of Dervish and Bill-E, I love the three of them together, it's like a very strange, more morbid version of the 3 musketeers. :D

As I saw things come together and more secrets make sense and come to light I found myself enjoying this one more and more.

There is a lot of mystery in this book, you know something big is coming, but you're not quite sure what. You know it's going to change the course of the books to come though.
The ending had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't wait to see if Grubbs would figure everything out and what he would do next, was totally shocked by some deaths though.

Read this in mere hours, still can't get enough.

Usual warning - bit gory in places.
on 6 March 2008
This book is another from the Demonata series (by none other than Darren Shan) and continues from Bec. With the re-introduction of a previous character into the book, the book becomes a tool of questions as you start to wonder why on earth the new character has arrived.

Apart from that the book progresses a litte slower than usual but still packed with violence and action. The one big down point is that the book ends on a very interesting cliffhanger, but believe me when I say this... this book is just a warm-up for the next :D (I have read the next by the way)
on 8 June 2007
Darren Shan can write! I think this book would be found captivating by those from age 4 to age 80. It held my interest and I've never been a big reader of this srt of book.

Although this was my first exposure to the author I certainly hope to view more of his stuff. Witty, clever, an excellent command of language, I think Shan is underrated as an author.

The book lagged a bit in the middle and is why I do not give it 5 stars. But the first third and final third were excellent.
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2008
I thought that Blood Beat was an improvement on Bec, but didn't enjoy it as much as Lord Loss, Demon Thief and Slawter.

This book returns to the character of Grubbs Grady (along with Dervish, Bill-E and Juni). Grubbs has been getting ill and feeling an odd change beginning to occur around a full moon...will he fall prey to his werewolf genes or can Dervish and Juni save him from the curse before it is too late...?

Unlike the first three books in the series, this book is quite slow paced and takes a long time for the actions to begin. However, this is because the next book in the series continues directly after the cliffhanger ending of this one, do it is only really the first half of a book. The first three quarters are quite slow but it really picks up in the last 60 or 70 pages and the last chapter is amazing, its the best chapter from any Darren Shan book ever, its BRILLIANT and totally worth reading through the less-exciting chapters during the first part of the book.
on 26 June 2007
Blood Beast book review

Author Darren Shan

I make no secret of it I'm a Darren Shan fan ,I have read all of his 12 books in the Cirque Du freak, Darren Shan Vampire saga , and adored all of them .

You may find The Demonata to be very different in style to the vampire saga .

However although all of the books in the Demonata differ in style, and characters , Darren cleverly interlinks the stories, plots,demons and characters in surprising and unpredictable ways.

This book follows in the footsteps of the action packed Slawter ,then Bec which is more of a sad , dark and sombre book .

The book centres around the main character Grubbs Grady who we have already met in Lord loss, and Slawter .

After the brutal slaughter of Grubbs family by demons Grubbs is trying to move on with his life.

Grubbs is also growing up ,he experiences all the things that regular teenagers go through , being popular at school, friendships ,his first crush,his first kiss.

But Grubbs has much more to contend with than a normal teenage boy,nightmares, magical powers brewing inside him,sickness and his overwhelming fear of transforming into a werewolf due to a family curse that afflicts him and his unfortunate predecessors.

Grubbs is living with his charming uncle Dervish ,whilst going through a transitional stage in his life ,he realises he has powerful magic residing within him,and also fears that he may carry the family curse of lycanthropy.

Grubbs faces many inner conflicts in the book , can he confess his fears to his uncle Dervish,and risk being sacrificed by the Lambs?Who can he trust ,will the beast lurking inside Grubbs take possession over his mind ,body and soul? Read to find out ...............

I recommend the book to all readers because it has many elements that both young and older readers can relate too.

The storyline has many twists and turns that include a party ,a treasure hunt ,a cliff hanger ,love ,death and betrayal ,the book is scary ,humorous ,and insightful, it really leaves you gagging for more........

Characters:

Grubbs Grady, The troubled teenager with a gruesome past and not too promising future

Bill-E Spleen, Grubbs half brother not as popular as Grubbs but has some magical powers.

Dervish Grady, Grubbs and Bill-E's uncle, A charming biker with a colourful punk rock past with strong magic skills a heart of gold and loads of money

Juni Swan- The mind reading albino and magical psychologist who has a love interest with Dervish ,manipulative or just caring?

Lord Loss- The blood oozing misery guts of a Demon Master hell bent on destroying Grubs and all the other unfortunates ..................

Reviewed by Meera Flame 2007

on 15 October 2007
I wasn't sure about this book when I first read it, compared to the other Demonata books it felt a little slow and had nowhere near as much gore. However, having now read book 6 - Demon Apocolypse, I fully appreciate this book. It's almost like the two books should have been one but there was just too much to fit into one book, I wouldn't recomend either book without the other. Blood Beast sets the scene perfectly for Demon Apocolypse which is a rip roaring horror fest that, without Blood Beast, I don't think I would have cared for the characters to the point where I actually shed tears.

This book isn't just setting the scene, there's a lot more happening than you realise.
on 31 October 2013
I am not much of a reader, before the whole saga of the Demonata I would hate reading, I would do anything to avoid reading. It was my girlfriend who initially got me into this series, after reading the first book I couldn't wait to get the next. This book I found the hardest to put down as there was always something happening. Now I will not ruin the book by giving anything away but this is perhaps my second favorite book so far (first being Wolf Island) but the build up of what Grubbs is going through makes you want to keep reading, and will Grubbs and Bille ever find that buried treasure.

Highly recommend this book if you have read the first 4 books.
on 16 November 2007
A great saga of gore and blood, and a unmissable cliffhanger at the end.
Its well good it is the best 1 i have read so far. I really need to get the next book!!!!!!!!!!!