5.0 out of 5 stars Darren shan: Demonata: BEC
Published on 4 Dec 2006 by Mr. M. P. Darby

3.0 out of 5 stars I actually preferred this to Slawter
Published on 22 Jan 2007 by Gotta Love Freddie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Darren shan: Demonata: BEC, 4 Dec 2006
Mr. M. P. Darby "sam" (England, Gravesend, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
Im sorry, but there is no way that anyone can say this book lacks a compelong story. Ok maybe not completly original, all of the other three share roughly the same story, with the main difference being the characters, but as others say, I found the book utterly unputdownable. I believe Darren Shan to be the best modern day writter and this book made me realise this even more.

I think it is very clever the way he writes in celtic times, using words people of that time would have said, for example: Tuath meaning country. There is a word guide in the back of the book that states the meaning of the strange words.

THIS BOOK IS DEFINATLEY NOT BORING I coulndt put it down.

I also thought that the story had a good ending, although I can see what others mean when they say that it was weak.

It is worth buying, so too are the other three of his series,

Lord loss

Demon theif

Slawter

I would advise buying the other three before reading this, as the fourth book explains mysteries from the other three books.

His acclaimed vampire series is also very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 13 Nov 2006
Mr. A. P. Palmer "Tony" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
This book is a must buy! Very gripping and a great story. THe book is set in the past where tribes fought for they're lives. Bec goes on an adventure to find a young boy they call "Run fast"'s tribe. they later find out that the only people left of his tribe is the magical druid drust. they embark on a quest to shut down the demonatas source and come along lots of events on the way. Brillaint book! Before you buy this i suggest getting the first three books as these are equall as good:

1: Lord Loss

2: Demon Thief

3: Slawter

4: Bec

5.0 out of 5 stars If only I could write stunners like this!!!, 27 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
Darren Shan is one of those few authors who I cannot put down. I rank him up there with Eoin Colfer, JK Rowling, Robert Muchamore and Anthony Horowitz in my book collection. If you haven't read this series, you're missing out on some great reading and this book is the best in this series yet. Without trying to give too much away, WHAT A SHOCKER of a finish. A word of warning.....if you buy this series of books and especially this book -BEC- you will most probably have to buy the books that follow!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 13 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
I have read all darren shan books and was so eager to read this. When i got it it was so good i read it 24 7. Its all you exspect a darren shan book to be, scary, exciting and very dark. Lord loss is back to his best in this thrilling adventure that you MUST READ

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but worst in the series, 9 Oct 2007
D. Page - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
This book is amazing like all the other books in the domanata series but i have to say it is the worst. It lacks in the commical side that the other books have. The story is very clevely done and this book links strongley to book 5 and 6 even though it is set in a different place and time.

3.0 out of 5 stars I actually preferred this to Slawter, 22 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
I've been reading Darren Shan for years now, and I've kept up to date with all his books. For me, this series is nowhere near as good as his last series, but it's still a compelling and unique enough read. I didn't particularly like Slawter - well, I did, but I thought it was the worst of the series - so I was pleased to find that I enjoyed Bec. Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for the magic of his last series to appear, because I'm a little unimpressed with the Demonata so far. It's good, and I can't deny that Shan is a capable writer who knows his genre well, but I'm finding the individual books a little same-y.

Bec introduces us to a new set of characters and I'm glad about that, because that made it more interesting than Slawter. What I also enjoy are the small ways that Shan connects all the books, and it was nice to see the beginning of the curse on the Grady family. I think Demon Thief is my favourite so far - I can't wait to see more of Kernel - but Bec is more on a level with the first book than Slawter. I think Shan just needs to shake things up a little because Slawter especially felt like it had no impact on the series, and was merely a filler book.

I think I'm in the minority with preferring Bec to Slawter. I guess it was rather slow paced and there's a lot of portions where few significant events happen, but I still found it enjoyable. And, as always, Shan's refusal to pander to the expectations of children's books is refreshing, although I find some of his gore scenes a little too glorified in a way that's not creepy, but just feels as if he wanted to be gory.

I don't recommend reading all the books at once. The books took a plunge with Slawter for me, and still aren't quite back up to the standard of Lord Loss and the Demon Thief. Don't let this put you off - the series is definitely worth a read and Darren Shan's writing is enjoyable as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
When I purchased Bec I knew that there were going to be new characters anyone who has read his Demonata books would know that every 2nd book explains the history of the Demonata, the Grady curse and the Diciples.This book explains Lord Loss's facination with chess and many other things as well.This book was placed in celtic times, which I liked,

however

I couldn't work out where!

I enjoyed Bec so much! A fantastic read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bec: Shan's greatest undeliver?, 3 Jan 2014
Me, personally think that Shan is the best author of this century. This is because of his page-turning gritty style. Bec lacked this style of writing for me and felt lik a grind, you don't have to agree, this is a good book, just not my style

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Dec 2013
I thought it was exiting, gory and well written. Darren shan created a world in which you can get lost in for hours and I will definitely read the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 5 Aug 2013
This book is a great read. I bought this for my daughter and she didnt put it down until she was finished it. Darren Shan is a great author for any young teenager. Good product, great quality. I would recommend it. Shipping in the time as stated. 100% recommended.

The Demonata (4) - Bec
The Demonata (4) - Bec by Darren Shan (Hardcover - 2 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01