3.8 out of 5 stars2,386
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 February 2015
A remarkable book, quite worthy of the hype. It is interesting how Mantel creates a character in Cromwell who is both of his time and also thoroughly modern. I feel that Thomas Cromwell would have been perfectly at home in the politics of modern Britain. Plus ca change!
on 7 September 2014
I didn't expect to really enjoy Wolf Hall, but surprisingly I really did enjoy it. It brought back to me a lot of the history I learned at school and helped me to understand it better by really making me see the various characters.of course, it was very well written, too.
on 27 July 2010
I can't write a fair review on this book. It is obviously well researched and written, but I'm afraid I lost the will to read it after the first couple of chapters. Too many characters and not enough interest to keep the pages turning. I felt as if I was listening to a bore at a dinner party. Sorry
on 7 August 2015
Absolutely loved this book, so beautifully written and hard to put down. People from history came to life for me and I want to know more about them. I am now reading part 2 Bring up the bodies. Proving to be equally as good. I'm completely smitten with Mantels writing.
on 10 May 2013
No foubt well researched and factually correct however it is written with such detail that it is a slow read not going anywhere fast. If historical intrigue, political dealings and power plays within this well known period of history is of interest this maybe for you.
on 2 March 2014
I bought this to read while we were sailing in the West Country and actually looked forward to having a read while tucked up in my bunk. Wonderfully written, with amazing skill at developing the characters, so that you feel they are old friends (well, some of them!)
on 22 April 2010
The book was bought for me as a present by a friend who was quite obviously having laugh at my expense, It has to be the most boring and turgid book I have ever read.
The story rushes along at a snails pace but even so I can't remember what I read a couple of pages back because the prose is so banal. Dear oh dear oh dear.
on 20 April 2016