Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 September 2006
I'll admit that I was a serious skeptic of this book. What the world doesn't need is another celeb chef, and I shuddered at the thought of their WAG's cookbooks suddenly blocking out the sunlight at Smiths. What I found in Tana Ramsay's book was a pleasant surprise. She's a real mom, that's evident. The recipies are things that kids will eat, and she knows that if you're going to try to push their tastebuds a bit, you're going to have to pick your battles. I don't have a pantry like the Ramsay's, so the alternatives mentioned in the recipies are helpful for me. Already cooked one for the family, who normally hate cabbage, but we've found a winner here and a new addition to the regular weekly rota. If I can get four or five more into the mix, it's a roaring success.

Tana, you've my begrudging respect. I know you have a nanny and help and all that, but if you still cook for four kids and deal with that husband of yours, you can punch with the best of them.
on 1 November 2006
I was totally stuck in a lunch and supper "downward spiral" for ideas, and I am totally inspired again. So it's a massive thank you to Tana Ramsay for putting together this book. My husband has been begging his Mum to write down all her recipes for years and make a book like this, so good on Tana Ramsay for actually doing it herself, and hopefully taking full advantage of having a famous husband to get it published and therefore available to all of us.

This is written "by a Mum for Mums", the food is tasty, doesn't take hours to prepare, and is good enough to eat with the children as a family. Although, when I proudly presented my first meal from the book (chicken with red lentils) my exhausted 3½ year old son put his head down and cried "I just want my normal supper" .... ermm that will be spaghetti bolognese again then! Needless to say it was absolutely delicious and he ate the lot with my daughter who is one of the fussiest little eaters on the planet. They have since continued to munch their way through most of the recipes I have tried out so far from the book - and they especially loved her pumkin risotto - you just put all the ingredients into your oven proof dish and put it in the oven for 20 minutes - no stirring required - how easy is that!?!

The snack ideas are great, as are the party ideas, but I personally like the make in advance and suitable for freezing recipes. She writes nicely and her tips and comments are useful, although be warned the style of book is very "Jamie Oliver"!

Tana Ramsay does however proove herself to be a complete and utter wonderwoman with her breakfasts ... I really do take my hat off to anyone who seriously has the time with school runs to create such wonders ... anyone else find themself supplying breakfast in the car on the way to school!?!

We are currently abroad on an international posting and I am still able to find most of her recipe ingredients, it just takes a bit more planning.

I would definitely recommend getting this book if you want to enjoy cooking for your family/children again.

Enjoy!
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2006
Great book if you have little time to cook but still want to eat well (and quite healthy). I have already tried 3 recipes (rhubard and peach crumble, lime and ginger salmon fillets with noodles and the roasted sweet tomato and sweet pepper soup). They were all great success with adults (I have no children). I will use some recipes to prepare a nice lunch to bring to work. Most recipes are quite easy (no Gordon Ramsay level required) and so far all have been delicious. Enjoy it.
on 26 November 2006
Nice food, but lots of inaccuracies/omissions in the recipes...e.g. put your brownie mixture into the square tin (no other mention of the tin appears in the recipe), parboil the chunky chips for 20 minutes until slightly (?) soft, another recipe had double the amount of meat needed for the amount of sauce, and another one told you to first turn on your oven and then leave the mixture to settle for a couple of hours before cooking.

You need to have a good knowledge of cooking to make these recipes work - even if it's just knowing that a packet of shop bought jelly will not set in a pint of water and a can of evaporated milk (you just have to be able to read the instructions on the packet).

If she did actually write this book herself, it explains why her husband won't let her in the kitchen.
on 1 October 2006
After seeing and trying a few receipes from the T.V I just had to have the book. I'm a busy mum and cooking time is low on my list normally stick it in the microwave and put it on a plate. This has changed our lives as a family, the children now eat healthy home cooked food. Most cook books Ive tried in the past end up in the back of the cupboard but this is so simple to use with ingrediants that can be found in the supermarket not in some far distant shop in Chelsea. Tana is refreshingly honest throughout the book with great tips. Most cook books you end up with somthing that barely resembles the picture with this you get exactly what it looks like. It is fantastic I can't rave about it enough. My sister in law has just bought it and is now making her way through it looking forward to the next receipe. My son has an eating disorder and even he will eat his meals now looking forward to somthing different on his plate.

Well done Tana for thinking about the busy mum's giving our kids somthing more than just Chicken nuggets, smiley faces and beans.

IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE BOOK THIS YEAR MAKE IT THIS ONE IT WILL CHANGE MEAL TIMES AS YOU KNOW IT. definatly recommend the ham and cheese muffins and the chilli cheese and prawn (to die for!!!!)
0Comment|115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2013
I bought this item as a present for my Son and Daughter-in-law who were looking for inspriation of better ways to cook for and feed their young family healthy meals that were simple to cook and that woould be eaten (and on a budget) - this has been a great success!
on 29 March 2016
My sister-in-law gave me her copy of this book - she tried several of the recipes none of which gave her an edible result. I rescued it from the recycling bin thinking it couldn't really be that bad! I'm sorry to say, the few recipes I tried were really poor. As previous reviewers have noted, these recipes haven't been properly tested, the quantities are wrong e.g. recipe on page 138, 'Red pepper and apple meatballs', requires 900g of minced meat for a recipe which is said to serve 4 children - 225g of meat per child!! The 'almond and apricot yoghurt-coated bites' on page 64 should be fool-proof, but the recipe doesn't have enough syrup to stick the dry ingredients together, I could go on, but you get the idea. Avoid this book, the recipes have not been properly tested and will not give you a good result.
on 17 July 2007
I was really looking forward to this book and when reading it, was really impressed by how extensive it was. However, after looking through again, the recipes are quite high in fat - the cooking does take longer, as does the prep and the ingredients are a bit off in some recipes - her descriptions of HOW to actually cook the recipes can also be a bit vague and off. As someone said, it doesn't look like enough people have actually tried to test the recipes. I've also found several of the results very bland. That said, although I love watching gordon on tv, I have not been that impressed by some of his books either since his description is often lacking in specifics and the turn-out, often far less than spectacular, (which is what I expect from a top-chef like him). So....in conclusion...bland and uninspiring.
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2006
I must admit I was a wee bit sceptical about this book when I first saw it but couldn't resist as I have a bit of a thing for cook books!! However I was extremely impressed I was expecting a lot of very fussy, time consuming or just plain kid food to be honest. This dished up none of the above I'm glad to say apart from the odd recipe to please kids that only eat burgers or fish fingers etc. However we make a point of having a family tea every night so we all eat the same so it was refreshing to find some new ideas for all the family and also the breakfasts were just inspiring - we are a cereal/toast family but will be endeavouring to make the time to try some of these. The best has to be the ham & cheese muffins which the kids loved in fact I made these just as soon as I got the book unwrapped. Anyways we loved it!!
on 20 December 2006
I loved this book, the layout, the recipes and the resulting meals. The only thing I found was that none of my pans or casserole dishes were big enough. The recipes provide generous portions for me, my husband and three young children (one of whom is only 18months), but even my biggest of pans was not big enough for some of the recipes and I found myself using two. However, now I know the recipes work and the family enjoy them, I will be splashing out on some bigger cookware.