Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 February 2009
A well crafted story of two best friends: Fudge and Cupcake, who discover how easy it is to find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Cookie, a puppy they rescue, is adopted by brother Joey who has a special reason to worry about the puppy's welfare when it becomes injured.

The girls quest to pay the vet's bill combines a series of moral dilemmas with some creative ways of fund raising!

Jean Ure writes with warmth and good humour exploring feelings and friendships in a compelling and believable way. It is a real page turner with some quite unexpected challenges for all concerned.
on 28 July 2012
If I were given a sheet, which had marks for this book on, and as the marks are-Excellent, Very Good, Good, Satisfactory and Poor,- this gains Satisfactory. It is about two young girls who take on a ` Life Of Crime`. Which, I of course think is ridicule. And, there are, that is, a few aspects thet say, why? Why, why, why? GM, stop reading this book thet you don't get. [I'm GM]. There is little point in starting, although the Cookie and Joey bits are sweet! But there altougether is little point saying this through a puny keyboard Kindle. There'd be more to it if the authour had; described Fudge and Cupcake more! For it is slow, this book and thee shalt survive not. I mean, it was slow, no survival
on 25 January 2014
This cookie-tastic sizzling sweet book will make you WANT TO POP!!!!! It's amazing like falling fudge and melting ice cream. Electrifying. If you get the chance Read it!!!!!!!!!

Scrumdiddilyuptious
on 24 January 2013
i thought it was a lovely story, it shows how it dosent take much to make someone happy if you get it right. i would definetley reccomend this book, especially 7-12 years old.
on 19 March 2015
This book was amazing, it was fresh and new and it was very entertaining and tells you, whilst blending into the story, how to stand up to bully`s!!!!!!!!!!
on 1 November 2013
This book is really cool and is really fun to read. Although it is good, I think they made out that fudge and cupcake were criminals a bit too much.
on 2 September 2014
I love this book because it interesting and there's cliffhangers which make u wanna read on it personally really like it
on 22 August 2014
Umm..... its a bit .. nerve racking . . . .
Good but I won't read it again. . . Glad I tried it tho
on 29 October 2010
I purchased "Fortune Cookie", by Jean Ure, for my grand-daughter, who loves books and loves dogs.
I read the book before giving it to her and found the editing very poor.
The two young girls in the story have to raise £300 for an operation on a puppy. They raise £73 through a sponsored silence, are given a further £15 by members of their family, and then proceed to try and sell a ring to make up the difference. Because they know that the ring does not really belong to them, they do not ask their parents to sell it, but approach a petty criminal and demand that he pays them £120 upfront in exchange for the ring, which he does.
The operation on the puppy takes place.
Now, the petty criminal comes back to claim his money, as the ring is "hot" and he cannot sell it. And he asks for £225 back, which the girls eventually manage to get for him, thanks to the generosity of the old lady the ring belonged to.
I think even a child with poor mathematical skills would find all this very confusing. Hopefully, the reader may also spot the girls' ageism.
I shall not give the book to my grand-daughter, and I shall not give it to a charity shop either. I am afraid it finished its life in the recycling bin.