5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book., 2 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Savvy Shopper (Paperback)
I originally borrowed this from my local library, but found it so useful that I bought my own copy.

When shopping for food in supermarkets, I try to go for companies that produce food that tastes of something, (which tend to be smaller companies listed in this book), rather than the bland offerings from the usual manufacturers, who tend to be the biggest polluters and wasters of produce/energy etc.

I try and avoid companies that overpackage their products as well. Layers of card and plastic may look nice, but add nothing to the contents.

Remember when apples actually tasted of something? This book will help you find them or even the seeds if you grown your own.

Recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading, 13 May 2009
This review is from: The Savvy Shopper (Paperback)
This is an exellent and informative book that should be required reading.It is well researched and highly informative about how to food shop in Britain.There are a number of surprises in the book for even the most informed shopper and the author rightly goes after the supermarkets who take a less than ethical position with suppliers.
There is also a very good listing of on line retailers picking out the best of Britain.
Well worth its cover price

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, just wow., 23 May 2011
This review is from: The Savvy Shopper (Paperback)
I don't normally write reviews on Amazon any more, but I decided to about this book. I was astounded to find out the underlying issues present in the food industry. I take my food very seriously and shortly after reading this book I promptly went onto my high street and farmers markets websites provided within to try and source local produce. I feel like a veil has been lifted from my eyes now that I know what's behind the label. This book has provided so much indispensible information and insight which I will use to take heed. You have to have a lot of patience to sift through it. I really recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise, 11 May 2006
Daniel A. Rosenbaum "biogs guru" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Savvy Shopper (Paperback)
Before starting I should mention my vested interest in that I came across this book because I know the author. So I paused before writing this review but decided to go ahead, because I badly wanted to get across one very important point: this book is for everyone.

I am not a 'foody' or much of a shopper (the reason for the review headline 'pleasant surprise'), but the information in the book was thought-provoking, interesting and useful. What's more the truly refreshing thing was that the book was so well-organised and clear. You can find what you're looking for

automatically.

At a glance, I had the full SP on cereals, eggs, apples, mineral water, and tomato ketchup. In the space of minutes I can now make informed choices about my shopping for these items.

Inspired, though I am, I'll leave it to others to turn to the cured pork, salmon and spices section.

Right, I'm off now to dip into 'biscuits'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Savvy Shopper (Paperback)
This book not only gives invaluable advice concerning the origins of the foods listed, but more importantly offers alternatives. Sadly, some of these are difficult to avail of unless one wants to, for example, buy meat via mail. However, this is the sort of educational tool which should be made available to secondary students and a vital aid to nutritional learning.

The Savvy Shopper
The Savvy Shopper by Rose Prince (Paperback - 2 May 2006)