5.0 out of 5 stars A Divine Office for the Briefcase or Overnight Bag
As the other reviewer said this is not a leather or even leatherette bound book and it does have a certain solvent-like smell about it which in my case dimished fairly quickly after unwrapping.

Published on 28 May 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars The best bet for beginners to The Divine Office
This book is quite small, about the size of a small diary. It is not leather bound as described, but features a plastic cover, which smells strongly - whether this smell dies away after a while remains to be seen.

Published on 27 April 2006 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The best bet for beginners to The Divine Office, 27 April 2006
This review is from: Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer (Divine Office) (Imitation Leather)

The book features two ribbon markers, which I guess is reasonable considering the small size of the book. I used small post-it index tabs to create additional markers.

If you want to get started with The Divine Office, but, like me, are intimidated by both the full office 3-set volume and 'Morning and Evening Prayer', then this book is a more gentle introduction.

However, it still takes a while to master, and there is still quite a bit of page flicking to be done. The Catholic Truth Society produce a fairly good, low cost introductory guide to The Divine Office, which is available from their UK website.

I gave this volume 3 stars as I was disappointed that it wasn't leather bound as it was originally described on Amazon, which would have produced a more attractive book, but it's ok as it is. The product description has been corrected since my original posting of this review.

There is a leather bound version available on Amazon - just enter the following ISBN number in the Amazon search box: 0007219881

5.0 out of 5 stars A Divine Office for the Briefcase or Overnight Bag, 28 May 2008

Please do not buy this with the black bound Morning and Evening Prayer as a PERFECT PARTNER(ISBN-10: 0007211333 )thinking that each will be different, they have exactly the same contents.

This little version is ideal for taking on holiday, or keeping in the briefcase, handbag or rucksack for use when commuting too or from work.

To find out which Psalter week you are in you could always buy St. Paul's Liturgical Calendar, though Amazon doesn't seem to have sold these since 2004 (ISBN-10: 0854396772 ).

4.0 out of 5 stars There is a leather bound gift edition available - I have one, 8 Sep 2009
First of all, (I don't know why Amazon have not cross linked the two editions, but), those wanting the leather bound "gift" edition can find it here - Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer (Divine Office). Although the one, on this present page, is described as paperback it has a vinyl cover, the smell of which should go after a while if not kept wrapped up.

When the first (vinyl covered) edition came out many years ago, this handy little version of the hours was a Godsend, compared to carrying around a larger version of LOTH. I liked it too because, although it missed a lot of the seasonal and sanctoral variable bits, (although this includes basic versions of these), it treated me as adult enough to be able to pray the full Morning, Evening and Night Prayers that clergy and monastics use. It also meant that usually if I visited the cathedral near my work, I had the text in front of me to be able to join in more fully. Even if the prayers were in Latin, it enabled me to follow in English as well.

These years later my original vinyl covered version, has lasted very well indeed, and is still in excellent condition, although I have treated myself to a copy of the new leather covered version which I like very much.

I have found the print consistently sharp, (which is sadly not always the case in some books these days). My only criticism is that the print is all black. If the publishers can see their way clear towards producing in black with red titles and rubrics, in the future, this would be wonderful and make for that little bit more quality.

Those wishing to also pray the mid-morning, noon and mid-afternoon prayers will probably also welcome the similarly sized "Prayer During The Day" Prayer During the Day: From the Liturgy of the Hours, which I can also recommend and which I believe is only published as leather bound. Although produced by a different publisher, it is almost uniform to the leather edition of this volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for busy people, 25 Mar 2012
C. J. Snodin "Bookman" (Ealing UK) - See all my reviews
Good points:

* It's small enough to slip into the jacket pocket. If you are short on time it's always there so that you can say the morning and evening Office at a lunch break, in a taxi, on the Tube, etc.
* It contains all the elements to keep you in touch with the basic form of Office - a four week cycle of Psalter readings, scripture and prayers with simple easily understood seasonal variations and night prayer.

Bad points:
* It only has two ribbons and needs three of four. However if you need to use the book efficiently you have to make up bookmarks with passages on them (Benedictus, Magnificat, etc.). In my copy these render the ribbons redundant.
* The detail takes a while to master, but its the Office and its worth the time spent doing this.

I have read the complaints about the plastic cover and cheap production. The 'leather' covered version is presumably now out of print and may or may not come back into print. If it does I will probably buy it. Meanwhile however I don't mind the plastic. A book that sits in your pocket for large periods of time and is read on the move is going to come in for a fair bit of wear and tare. The plastic covered edition is nothing if not sturdy and this is about saying the Office, not quality of book production.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure Trove, 3 Nov 2011
T. Eastwood (Guildford,U.K.) - See all my reviews
This is one of the most useful little books ever to be produced in my opinion. I have recently moved on to the fuller versions of the Psalters, which flesh out the food of life provided in this book, which I have owned and used for some ten years or so now. In good times and bad it is a companion and friend, the living word of spiritual life, a wellspring of fresh water to quench our spiritual thirst, which thirst we can never with truth deny, and a strength in times of trial and trouble. Even if you have the full versions, which come in three parts, this 4 week psalter is handy to take on trips when space is at a premium. I cannot recommend it highly enough. A work of art, a breath of life, a key to glimpsing the Eternal order of God's Creation and His heavenly Kingdom.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very small type size, 8 July 2012
I bought this for carrying around with me but I doubt I'll use it. The type size is much smaller than any of the other Collins Office books. It's so small I doubt I could read for more than a minute or two without eyestrain.

I just assumed that it would be the same layout as the Collins Divine office books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine Office short form of aily prayer, 8 Jun 2010
This is a rich resource and provides a daily morning and evening hours prayer. It is comprehensive with for instance the morning prayer starting with Hymn, psalm, readings etc. It has a four year cycle and also include night pray (compline). For a reader who is not used to following the order at first it can be a little difficult with much page turning but it soon becomes easy. God Bless....

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy pocket-sized Divine Office (but not leather bound), 15 May 2013
(As per other reviewers, the product I got is NOT leather bound, despite the description; fortunately my plastic cover doesn't smell though, unlike another reviewer's)

This is a pocket-sized version of The Divine Office, and it includes Morning and Evening Prayer, and also Night Prayer too. It does contain the complete four-week Psalter.

However, being only 1cm thick and less than 500 pages long, they have obviously had to leave other stuff out. This isn't a criticism, and in general makes it ideal for travel / beginners. Before I bought it I would have liked to have known in more detail just what is in / out / different so in case anybody else wants to know:

* As mentioned by another reviewer, the text is all black: rather than having the rubrics in red, they are in italic instead, which does make it a little harder to follow (esp if you're an absolute beginner)

* The Proper of Seasons is a reduced version which contains "sufficient material ... to allow for seasonal variation" - such as "a week of proper material for each of the Seasons". Here are some examples of what this looks like in practice:

In the full Office, on Mondays of the Easter Season, depending on which week of the Easter season it is, a different set of texts are given for the Benedictus and Magnificat Antiphons, Intercessions and Concluding Prayers, whereas in this shorter version, only a single set of texts is given for ALL Mondays of the Easter Season (the same as for Mondays of Easter Week 2 in the full version). This does make it simpler to follow.

On The Ascension of the Lord, only Benedictus/Magnificat Antiphons and a Concluding Prayer are given in this version, unlike in the full Office, where the rest of the contents of Morning/Evening Prayer (I and II) are special for the Ascension too (Hymns, Psalms and Antiphons, Scripture, Responsory, Intercessions), and a special Invitatory Antiphon is also given.

* The Sundays in Ordinary Time are included as normal as far as I can tell

* The Proper of Saints is drastically reduced to just the Feasts of the Lord and a handful of Solemnities etc (e.g. only the major saints Our Lady, St Joseph, Saints Peter and Paul etc)

* It does contain The Office for the Dead and the Saturday Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary

* Beyond the hymns in the Psalter there are no extra Hymns for the seasons etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer, 30 Mar 2009
This pocket size edition is ideal for those who wish to say the Morning and Evening Prayer of the Church while not at home. It fits easily in a pocket or handbag.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful little book!!, 21 Sep 2014
As someone who is currently learning about the Divine Office, this wee book is perfect! I love the size of it, so portable that it fits in my handbag and can take it with me wherever I go. This is a great start on my journey through prayer as I am about to start RCIA classes.

Reasonable price and very happy with the customer service provided by Amazon!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer (Divine Office)
Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer (Divine Office) by Anon (Imitation Leather - 3 Jan 2006)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available